Golf Pros rarely consider physical disabilities when giving lessons

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Have been battling tendonitis and now have success increasing my range of motion through exercises in my wrist. I can extend it 45 degrees. One interesting result is being able to get the club on plane in the backswing. I don't know if this is magic yet. But, it made me realize Golf Pros rarely consider physical disabilities when giving lessons. They solve problems. But, in my opinion rarely take into consider an individuals range of motion or past/current injuries. Not bashing pros. Just some food for thought.

A good teaching pro does take physical limitations into account. Mine I told right up front that my right knee was so-so and my back can be a issue at times. He doesn't have me push myself to hard on rotation, just go with whats comfortable and not over due it. Worked on excercises for my back as part of the swing program. Part of it is he is older and know about back problems having had them himself.

To be fair though, it’s also on the student to reveal any long term ailments or injuries, no?

Any good pro should. Sounds like you haven't met a good match yet, maybe.

I would assume if you told him you have some nagging issues that he/she would work around your ailments

If that was the case, I would honestly seek another pro! Before I started my lessons, my instructor asked me a ton of questions, several about physical limitations!

To be fair though, it’s also on the student to reveal any long term ailments or injuries, no?

Yes, you are right. But, in this case I didn't realize this was an issue, until the pain got really bad. Then it clicked, I had very little ROM in the wrist and it is why the club got so vertical in the backswing.

Yes, you are right. But, in this case I didn't realize this was an issue, until the pain got really bad. Then it clicked, I had very little ROM in the wrist and it is why the club got so vertical in the backswing.

So the pro didn't know?

Have been battling tendonitis and now have success increasing my range of motion through exercises in my wrist. I can extend it 45 degrees. One interesting result is being able to get the club on plane in the backswing. I don't know if this is magic yet. But, it made me realize Golf Pros rarely consider physical disabilities when giving lessons. They solve problems. But, in my opinion rarely take into consider an individuals range of motion or past/current injuries. Not bashing pros. Just some food for thought.
I would call what you are referring to as physical limitations rather than disability. And there are the old school approach and new school approach. Old school tends to teach a single swing model for all students regardless of physical limits, or even adapts the swing model to the students ability. New school addresses functional performance capabilities and approaches instruction by identifying limitations and addressing those limitations physically (TPI type program), and address Technique through a process of improvement.

My teaching pro can’t even stand up without crutches. I prepaid a bunch of lessons when I first got into golf. When I’ve exhausted those I’ll be moving on. He’s really been driving a wedge between us. ;)

Guess I should add some things as that’s not why it’s not working out. He has his opinion of what I should be doing and if I do anything else he don’t like it. Like working out. I’m in my 50’s and it’s what I do to stay healthier. He wants me to use that time to practice. Like I mentioned it’s time for a new instructor when these run out.

A good teaching pro does take physical limitations into account. Mine I told right up front that my right knee was so-so and my back can be a issue at times. He doesn't have me push myself to hard on rotation, just go with whats comfortable and not over due it. Worked on excercises for my back as part of the swing program. Part of it is he is older and know about back problems having had them himself.

Yes, no cookie cutter approach. Every student is unique and has different needs.

My instructor was aware of my back problems and worked around them, to the point that he would have me try to work on something and ask me how it felt, and depending on my answer he would either continue with that particular direction or figure out how to accomplish the same thing in a slightly different way that didn't cause me problems

You just picked the wrong pro

Golf pros are not physical therapists..

Somewhere in the multiverse, there is a thread about how a guy with minor physical limitations who started a thread complaining how his golf pro wanted him to see a PT and wouldn't fix his swing.

Guess I should add some things as that’s not why it’s not working out. He has his opinion of what I should be doing and if I do anything else he don’t like it. Like working out. I’m in my 50’s and it’s what I do to stay healthier. He wants me to use that time to practice. Like I mentioned it’s time for a new instructor when these run out.
I would move on too, because ultimately it is about what (the value) you are getting from your investment.

Golf pros are not physical therapists..

Somewhere in the multiverse, there is a thread about how a guy with minor physical limitations who started a thread complaining how his golf pro wanted him to see a PT and wouldn't fix his swing.

No, but they need to be aware of any physical limitations there students may have in order to teach effectively. In academic circles it is called "differentiated instruction".

No, but they need to be aware of any physical limitations there students may have in order to teach effectively. In academic circles it is called "differentiated instruction".
If a person doesn't tell the instructor, how are they supposed to know?

In my first lesson he showed me what was wrong in my lead arm but after i showed him my scar in my elbow he just asked if that the straightest i could get it and we moved on. Focusing on the thinks he could change to get a more repeatable swing.

If a person doesn't tell the instructor, how are they supposed to know?

Well, obviously a student is smart enough to tell the instructor what is going on. Usually though the instructor will ask if there is anything he...the instructor...should be aware of.

Well, obviously a student is smart enough to tell the instructor what is going on. Usually though the instructor will ask if there is anything he...the instructor...should be aware of.
Lol. This doesn't seem like a sudden onset of "Wrist No Work Syndrome". Sure, a pro probably should ask, "is there anything physically that I need to know about that might restrict your ability to swing a golf club?"

Lol...

Plus, let's be honest, calling tendinitis a disability is kind of insulting to people with legitimate disabilities.

Back