Great American Total Solar Eclipse: Your plans

Apparently this isn't a popular view, but I was horribly underwhelmed by the whole thing. It just doesn't do anything for me. Maybe it would have been slightly cooler in an area where it was 100%, but it was just another eclipse to me.

i'm with you. through the special glasses it looked like a waxing crescent moon. now, if the sky darkened and it turned into "jesus coming back weather," that would have been cool!

Totality is where it's at. Everything goes dark and the sun is a dark circle with a white halo. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From one of our guys in the office.
22f00bb0ac170cf7367d7f958ad88fb3.jpg

From KC.
d1f763ef891c52224c3a16d3faf35405.jpg

We were in the path of totality, and I thought it was a very cool experience to see.

I agree that if you weren't, it was probably underwhelming.

Hands down the coolest part was totality! The actual 100% eclipse with the ring, it getting dark outside, seeing daylight on the horizon all around you, and the insects and animals making my their noises like it's night time.

Apparently this isn't a popular view, but I was horribly underwhelmed by the whole thing. It just doesn't do anything for me. Maybe it would have been slightly cooler in an area where it was 100%, but it was just another eclipse to me.
2024 cleveland is in the path of totality. And it's my 40th birthday. Coincidence?

Well I was pretty disappointed. We were around 92% and it didn't get anywhere near as dark as I thought, it was kind of like the sun going behind a cloud. Looking through a welding mask you could see like a really small sliver moon but for the months of hype I was really underwhelmed.

Well I was pretty disappointed. We were around 92% and it didn't get anywhere near as dark as I thought, it was kind of like the sun going behind a cloud. Looking through a welding mask you could see like a really small sliver moon but for the months of hype I was really underwhelmed.

I look at it like this. We were at around 90% and it appeared like there were heavy rain clouds dark. That's pretty damn impressive for only 10% of the suns light coming through. To me it shows how powerful the sun really is.

Scottsbluff NE is where I'm at, it was the coolest science/astronomy/phenomenon I've ever seen! We were in the path of totality, the temperature started to drop and it got dark out. It was really neat to see!

It was about 64% totality where I was this afternoon. Pretty underwhelming. I got outside to look at it through a welder's mask briefly, it was cool, but nowhere near what it must've been like in other places.

Drove to north Georgia as a family...a normal 45-60 minute drive took 2 hours each way but it was totally worth it. We made it into the full totality zone. I'm glad we took the kids out of school.

I saw the crescent moon shape through some glasses. It was pretty cool, but I am definitely taking a jaunt to Erie area in 2024 assuming I still live here. That would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Great American Total Solar Eclipse: Your plans

Hands down the coolest part was totality! The actual 100% eclipse with the ring, it getting dark outside, seeing daylight on the horizon all around you, and the insects and animals making my their noises like it's night time.

This!!!!

The temperature dropped from mid-90's to about 76, crickets started chirping, night time bugs came out, weird shadows...what a cool experience

Last edited:
I must say, very underwhelmed given the #Hype. Far from #epic for sure...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If you weren't in totality, you basically weren't there at all. You never got to see the corona, which is the awesome part.

Trust me, you'll be more impressed if you get to see 100%. It's very cool.

With only about 93% totality in my neck of the woods, it didn't get much darker but definitely more than 10 degrees cooler. Cool experience, but very underwhelming without totality

3 hour drive up to Wyoming and 5 hour drive home. And it was worth it for the quickest 2.5 minutes of my life. For those not in totality, it can not compare to seeing the sun go dark and the corona emerge.
WAtZeNhl.jpg

xWX2RiRl.jpg

Most challenging event I have tried to photograph. I can't wait for 2024!

This is going to get a bit enormous, isn't it.... lol
I am there. I will be 62. I get to use the next to the forward tees.

I had planned on being out on the golf course for the eclipse, but I had been out of town all weekend at the Indy outing. So I went with my family and we watched it together, glad I did too because by 2024 my kids will both be old enough that watching it with them will no longer be an option.

I also checked out the calendar to see what day it fell on...what is it with these eclipses falling on an effing Monday??? :bad:

Back