Greatest American Rock Band?

RHCP

Changed rock forever.

I mixed bands and countries but went back and deleted the first part. Even though Boston obviously didn't sing the epic Limelight, they were still amazing and still belong in the discussion.

Id put Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band as well as the Allman Brothers Band in there.

And off the wall?

Smashing Pumpkins.

Id put Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band as well as the Allman Brothers Band in there.

And off the wall?

Smashing Pumpkins.

loved me some smashing pumpkins!!!

Some good responses here so far. Would Steppenwolf be considered since they formed in LA or do they have to be American born?

I grew up late 90's so I have to add Korn, Metalica, and Linkin Park.

Too many solid candidates. Eagles, Chicago, REO Speedwagon, Beach Boys.

But we are talking GREATEST.

Maybe that makes them the greatest because of that? I don't know. It's a tough question, so many good bands: Fleetwood Mac, CCR, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, The Eagles. I bet if you google the top 10 US rock bands you won't find a list that is in complete agreement with any other list. :)

KISS
Still going since 70s, influenced many bands already mentioned, more gold albums then anyone else.

A lot of good, but greatest?

Maybe that makes them the greatest because of that? I don't know. It's a tough question, so many good bands: Fleetwood Mac, CCR, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, The Eagles. I bet if you google the top 10 US rock bands you won't find a list that is in complete agreement with any other list. :)
Hahaha, it’s the most loaded question ever!

Dang, this is perfect proof that people have different tastes because Aerosmith wouldn’t crack my top 1000

we are no longer friends for the rest of the night.

Can we have a real definition on ‘Rock’? Cos there’s some garbage entries into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame that would question what that truly means

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I don't know if I can put them in order. But if you throw on any song from these bands I'm a happy guy.

Aerosmith
Guns N Roses
Tom Petty
REM
Pearl Jam

Can we have a real definition on ‘Rock’? Cos there’s some garbage entries into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame that would question what that truly means

That’s the beauty of the genre, it’s wide ranging.

Hell a case can be made for Elvis.

That’s the beauty of the genre, it’s wide ranging.

Hell a case can be made for Elvis.

Here’s where we disagree, Elvis essentially stole his sound, only popular cos he was good looking & white(& I’d argue not rock).

Looked through top to bottom, & I’ll throw a hat in this one.

Ozzy Osbourne

KISS has definite legit status for this but for true rock and changing generations?

It would be a toss up for me between Tom Petty, and John "Cougar" Melloncamp.

Grand Funk Railroad was pretty good too.
Cougar siting!

Was he a band though?

& the beauty of this is I’m not American so I’m gonna throw all sorts of confusion here

But for truth and transparency I’m a 90’s kid who is firmly set on Tool & Maynard (with t rest of that crew as runners up)

Red hot chilli peppers, Van Halen.

Here’s where we disagree, Elvis essentially stole his sound, only popular cos he was good looking & white(& I’d argue not rock).

Looked through top to bottom, & I’ll throw a hat in this one.

Ozzy Osbourne

KISS has definite legit status for this but for true rock and changing generations?

Regardless of where the song came from, he was definitely rock. The genre isn’t one simple pigeon hole of sound.

Ozzy isn’t american.

We talking band or solo artists? Hard to argue against Elvis for greatest... He pushed the envelope didn't he and shifted music? Ozzy definitely pushed things in different direction!

Tom Petty and Allman Brothers for me.

Back