Greetings from Finland :)

jlaakso

Ironman
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi, I am a 42yo newbie golfer from Finland. I have a wife and two daughters (5 and 8). Golf hasn't been part of my life ever, until this summer.

Now the "Golfers Anonymous" announcement: "It all started innocently by joining a trip to golf course with my neighbour." :D We were on a vacation trip with our families and my neighbour usually plays 18 holes where ever he travels. I am not sure which one of us suggested that I would join him as his caddy to have some alone-time/me-time. I'd never played golf before, nor have I been to a course. It was kind of mindblowing to see how many different aspect the game has. All in all, we spent little under 4 hours on the course and headed to the club for burger and a beer.

Well, two months after the trip, I suggested that we would hit the local driving range together. He immediately donated me a full set of Wilson 1200 CG clubs and a bag. He's been playing for ten years and that was his beginner set at the time. He taught me the basics how to address the ball, how to setup a grip, how to rotate my body in a swing etc. We spent over two hours just working through the basics and hitting a ball every now and then. And I was hooked. Fortunately my family keeps me in balance, otherwise I propably would be all-in :)

Anyhow, I now have my green card, have played few niners at the near by golf course and furiously trying to consume every single piece of information to improve "everything" in my game.

Welcome to THP.

Welcome!!!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome!

Cool story jlaakso, welcome to THP.

Tervetuloa!

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks everyone.

I've been part of local and international home hifi hobbyist and diy audio forums and communities. I was kinda hoping for similar welcome "Welcome and sorry for your wallet" :D I believe all hobbies that require equipment/accessories and are prone to continuous improvement require either fat wallet or extreme self control. I have neither... :D

Damn.....welcome to THP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tervetuloa :) Another Finn here although I live in Baltimore. For all who wonder, in Finland you're required to complete a "green card" test before you can play and have a HCP. Basically it's to check you can somewhat hit the ball and know the rules / etiquette.

:welcome:

And HCP starts at 54. Until 36 you're somewhat limited to enter certain clubs/courses. Anyhow, I was hooked. Primarily enjoying the play and the walk with friends and/or fellow golfers. Sunrise, early tee time and after a niner, still a full day ahead of you.

Welcome to THP!!!

Hyvää huomenta!!!

I've been to Finland many times and think my next trip will occur in October. Beautiful county and nice people.

Finns aren't typically known for humor but Ismo is awesome.

Welcome to THP!

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Hyvää huomenta!!!

I've been to Finland many times and think my next trip will occur in October. Beautiful county and nice people.

Finns aren't typically known for humor but Ismo is awesome.

I think we have a very dry humor, much like the Britts. Out of curiosity, where do you usually go in Finland, Helsinki? I go there myself at least x10 per year for work.

I think we have a very dry humor, much like the Britts. Out of curiosity, where do you usually go in Finland, Helsinki? I go there myself at least x10 per year for work.

Agree, Finnish humor is dry. Just don't see a lot of Finnish comedians which makes Ismo so good. Helsinki, Tampere, and Lahti. Next trip is Kontiolahti.

Agree, Finnish humor is dry. Just don't see a lot of Finnish comedians which makes Ismo so good. Helsinki, Tampere, and Lahti. Next trip is Kontiolahti.

Wow, Kontiolahti is definitely not your standard destination in Finland.

Hello and welcome!

Back