Ground Uner Repair - Choice??

bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
So..I was playing a fun 2 man scramble this morning.
I had one of my best striking days and even though our opponent brought in a ringer, we managed to go into #18 all tied up..

They have just removed all 3 traps from around the green and replaced with sod.
(they felt the traps made it a bit too hard considering your second shot into this Par 4 had to carry about 165yards on average to a 3-tiered green)

The sod was marked as GUR. I hit my second shot pin high onto the sod.
I was about 22ft away from the pin.

the nearest point of relief would have been about 60ft from the pin since the sod ran down both sides of the green and was all the way up to the edges of the green.

After a quick conference with my partner, we decided to play from the "very thick" sod.

The ringer cried foul.. I pulled out my rule book and pointed to rule 25-1b which gives me the right to move the ball, but not a requirement to

They proceeded to 2-putt for par from about 30ft... I calmly took my 58* and drained it for the match.... The poor sport ringer shook my hand and walked off grumbling....

I downed what was my 5th beer on a very hot day and headed to the car....

I have not felt that good in a long time....

Loved the story. I just might do a Poll Who Carries a rule book with them when playing? It is interesting dont you think. Maybe add it to this thread.....:thinking:

Loved the story. I just might do a Poll Who Carries a rule book with them when playing? It is interesting dont you think. Maybe add it to this thread.....:thinking:

I do - it's a free app for my iPhone so I use it along with golfshot gps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Nice.... I'm upgrading to a better phone soon because of all the wonderful golfing apps I found out about from THP.... 1st Thing I'm going to get is Tapatalk

My home course has had GUR situations in the past where play was prohibited in the GUR area. I know recently we had a newly sodded area that was marked as GUR and noted on the pin sheet under local rules as "play prohibited". Not sure how rare this is, but I have seen this happen before, but most GUR areas would allow you play the ball as it lies.

We have local rules also prohibiting hitting balls out of flower beds and off wooden bridges. These rules are in place 100% of the time. When I play a course for the first time, I always ask about local rules, but I know most don't even think about it.

I'd like to get one. I've done some officiating in basketball and umpiring in baseball (so I have their rulebooks in my collection, seems natural I should add a golf one to it), so I like knowing the rules of a sport.

That's a great story. As for carrying the rule book, I have the USGA app on my iPhone.

I'm with Hoosier. I'm not sure the course wanted you to play out of that sod, either.

The ringer cried foul.. I pulled out my rule book and pointed to rule 25-1b which gives me the right to move the ball, but not a requirement to

They proceeded to 2-putt for par from about 30ft... I calmly took my 58* and drained it for the match.... The poor sport ringer shook my hand and walked off grumbling....

I have not felt that good in a long time....

BURN!!! Way to go, that is awesome. I love when I can show up someone that acts that way.

good call on the shot.
i would say it's always up to the course, if they allow you to play out of the GUR.

rules book...in my bag at all times, just for the sake of it.

I keep one in my bag. Can't remember the last time it was needed for anything other than just to look at while waiting. But it's there if anyone is being a jerk about something.

Learn something new every day... I would have been buffaloed into taking the drop, no rule book. I like the calmy drained it with a 58* from 22 feet part though.:laughing:

Great story. You were lucky it didn't say on the local rules that play was prohibited in that area.

But it's always a nice feeling when you're right. ;)

I have the app on my phone too, never know when it will be needed

The courses I play all have local rules stating that you have to drop from GUR if your ball comes to rest in a marked area.

Mike, generally I would say that most UK courses will have a Local Rule about GUR. Can't comment about USA as never been there.

I try to keep abreast of changes to rules etc, but as far as I am aware, currently the R&A (and poss USGA) say that if in an area defined as GUR the golfer may take FREE relief of 1 club length from nearest point where full relief is available. It does not say you MUST so there is always the option to play as it lies.

However, like you say, if there is a Local Rule stating 'Relief MUST be taken' then the golfer has no other option, he has to drop. I would guess that this is the same the world over, but I may be wrong. It is all golfers responsibility to double check the local rules prior to play. We all must not assume that because a particular local rule applied to a particular part of the course last month, it does today.

Might be the best part of that post. I don't know how some people do it, I just can't drink on a golf course.

Nice shot to win btw!

My home course usually makes GUR "prohibitted to play from" after all, how is it going to get repair if people keep playing from it, right?

Oh and I have the USGA Rules app on my Iphone too!

That is awesome, and hey rules are rules.:banana:

My home course usually makes GUR "prohibitted to play from" after all, how is it going to get repair if people keep playing from it, right?

Oh and I have the USGA Rules app on my Iphone too!

Most of the courses I play are that way too.

Great story! Way to nail the winning shot.

Might be the best part of that post. I don't know how some people do it, I just can't drink on a golf course.
Nice shot to win btw!

Most of the time I do not...Only when playing with this group of friends... It is so hot here...it makes no difference what you drink...you sweat it out as fast as you drink it...

Most of the courses I play are that way too.
To tell the truth, I forgot about the fact that local rules trump the rule book.
Being a very laid back course,I would not expect there to be local rules.
I called just in case (for piece of mind.)
The Pro shop was surprised by my question.
He "assumed" no one would play out of a GUR.
I asked if they a set of local rules somewhere, and he replied they just go by the book...

Since this is the equivalent of a local muni course, I was not expecting such..

Does bring up another question..
Does the local rules have to be posted in some official sort of way??? Like a list or something in the PRO Shop...
or can a verbal by the Marshall be construed as a Local Rule??

bama

Every tournament I've played, they go over local rules on the first tee and/or provide you with a rules sheet when you check in.

Back