Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Wedges.

Same design in each head, same sole grind, same shape, same material, same bounce, same everything….

Except grooves.

One is conforming, one is not.

Guess what you think the spin difference will be for 50, 80, and full swings?

would +5000rpms be a crazy difference? Don’t even know where to start with a guess lol

50 swings ... 1500 rpms or so

80 swings ... maybe a touch less.

Very little difference with 100 :unsure:

100% guessing as I've never paid any attention to this.
50y < 100rpm
80y @ 100-150rpm
full @200rpm
I'd assume it depends on which wedge loft (LW v SW v GW etc...) and who is swinging it. Steep v shallow golfer etc...

• Staff
The unknown is what makes this so fun.

I’ll be collecting data today…

That's a great question, @Jman and I admit I have no idea, but looking forward to the answer.

• Staff
That's a great question, @Jman and I admit I have no idea, but looking forward to the answer.
Kinda potentially really fun, right?

I think you will see a larger separation at slower speeds than at higher.. But totally a guess.

I wouldn’t even know, but I’m thinking it would be pretty high, increasing for full swings vs partial. Will be interested to see what you find out for sure.

I’d say, on average, 1200 more at each distance with the nonconformist club.

I think you will see a larger separation at slower speeds than at higher.. But totally a guess.
This is where I lean too, but I’ve got no clue what to expect to be honest haha

Lot of variables, but I would guess about 150 rpm on the shortest shot, 200 rpm on the middle length, and 300 rpms on the full swing.

Full swings off a mat it wont be as much as expected.
Partial swings off a mat will add more.
Swings off fairways will add a little.
Swings in a bunker will add a lot
Swings in the deep rough will add a lot

no clue but really curious now, when do we see the results?

Reactions: MH
I’ve seen the spin doctor do some crazy stuff before haha so I would guess it’s a lot. Never really anything I’ve considered trying tho so the results will be interesting

no clue to be honest.

Kinda potentially really fun, right?
Exactly. I read a lot of golf related stuff, and have never seen this question asked or answered. You've given me something to look forward to today, lol.

I'm guessing the non conforming have more of a bite to them which will increase the spin. How much - oo, that's a good question I'm going to go with 30% more spin.

for 50 yards i would guess around 700rpm

80 yards around 1000

full swings between 1200-1300

I found one years ago and messed around with it during some chipping practice. The biggest difference i saw was from the rough

I think the spin delta will be larger on the shorter shots.

That said with mat testing I think there will be overlap on some of the shots so maybe not a huge difference? Although our tester's strike pattern is pretty consistent so maybe they stay separated.

I would say the difference on a 50yd swing will be less than 200rpm, less than 300 on 80yd shot, and around 500rpm on a full swing. I will be interested in seeing what you find.

I think the spin delta will be larger on the shorter shots.

That said with mat testing I think there will be overlap on some of the shots so maybe not a huge difference? Although our tester's strike pattern is pretty consistent so maybe they stay separated.
I’m pretty consistent with a wedge in my hand haha

Minimal difference, not enough to really matter out on the course

How non conforming is non conforming? Old style U-groove vs square grooves or V-grooves or something? Or something completely different?

I think it's going to be pretty close between the conforming and non conforming...

Back