Guess the difference: Conforming vs Non

The unknown is what makes this so fun.

I’ll be collecting data today…
This sounds fun! Do you have identical wedges other than the grooves for the test?

This sounds fun! Do you have identical wedges other than the grooves for the test?
Check out that first post my dude 😜

Check out that first post my dude 😜
Haha, I did. Was looking for confirmation because I didn't realize anybody made wedges with both options.

Haha, I did. Was looking for confirmation because I didn't realize anybody made wedges with both options.
👀

• Haha
Reactions: Bus
Definitely interested in this

New York Waiting GIF by Muppet Wiki

Full swings off a mat it wont be as much as expected.
Partial swings off a mat will add more.
Swings off fairways will add a little.
Swings in a bunker will add a lot
Swings in the deep rough will add a lot
I remember an interview with Padriag where he said he would bring 2 sets of irons. He knew where he would miss fairways so it would be more to his advantage to have a certain groove for say his 6 and 8 iron as those would be from the rough and the other irons would be another groove. Basically saying the same thing you are in that from the rough was the biggest thing for pros and the grooves.

How non conforming is non conforming? Old style U-groove vs square grooves or V-grooves or something? Or something completely different?

I think it's going to be pretty close between the conforming and non conforming...
And the wild card, micromilling on either or both? I would bet new conforming with micromilling would outspin the old ping style noncomforming.

Irons with micromilling all the way through the set (Cleveland UHX and newer) are carry good consistent spin producers from all lies.

Wedges.

Same design in each head, same sole grind, same shape, same material, same bounce, same everything….

Except grooves.

One is conforming, one is not.

Guess what you think the spin difference will be for 50, 80, and full swings?
Make sure to hit those same shots from the rough.
That's where you'll see the biggest difference

I actually have no idea, but I am excited to see the difference

@Jman

I am curious. Is the pre groove rule wedge (could be fresh grooves)? Or a new more recent wedge?

@Jman

I am curious. Is the pre groove rule wedge (could be fresh grooves)? Or a new more recent wedge?
These are brand new wedges I took the wrappers off for review.

Make sure to hit those same shots from the rough.
That's where you'll see the biggest difference
I don’t have rough in the sim used to collect data for THP reviews 😜

But yeah, I think most know the grooves ability to funnel debris will be different from the rough and produce a lot more spin there.

300 or so more from 50

800 more from 80

Maayybbeee 12-1300 with a full swing. Depends how well James feels like clipping them today.

This should be really fun. No real idea but 800 on shorter shots to 300 on longer shots would be my guess.

I don’t have rough in the sim used to collect data for THP reviews 😜

But yeah, I think most know the grooves ability to funnel debris will be different from the rough and produce a lot more spin there.
Only mentioning it because that was the USGA's argument when changing the groove rule

I’m going to say a range of 15 to 20 percent more from nonconforming wedge.

I hope these are from Indi. I’ve always been interested in their non-conforming wedges but have never bought any.

@Jman could you hit a couple surlyn/ionomer low compression balls with them? I’d like to see how bad they chew them up.

Full swings off a mat it wont be as much as expected.
Partial swings off a mat will add more.
Swings off fairways will add a little.
Swings in a bunker will add a lot
Swings in the deep rough will add a lot
What about damp conditions?

looking forward to seeing these results

Off a mat, I’m guessing 500 rpm for 50, 1000 rpm at 80, and 1200 rpm at 100.

Non conforming wedges may stop the ball quicker and even zip the ball back uncontrollably..

The conforming will do as anticipated , and comparable to other brands …

Don’t think the speed or launch will vary , only the revolution difference …

Be interesting also if moisture impacts , and how so .. also differing surfaces
( sand / rough / and other abnormal surfaces )

Great experiment @Jman 👍👌

I’d guess between 1,000-1,500 rpm on full swings.

I will be interested to see the specific results.

Reminds me of other Manufacturers blocking Ping Eyes with their unique (square/U ) grooves in Tournaments. Ping would have dominated the Tour.
In my opinion.

Back