Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one question though, let's say there is a STAG AR with the same Rail system, and gas block, (basically same configuration)without the fancy limited finish, but was $200 cheaper, would you get it?

yes i would, but i looked online and didnt see one

Check out gun broker and guns America. I would take a look at spikes tactical as well. They build very high quality AR's.

yes i would, but i looked online and didnt see one

I see, ok well then by all means get it, it's a limited edition so might as well spend the money now, and save up and later get the attachments you want like some red dot sight or an eotech.

Maybe it's just me and my obsession with magpul, but I could really see some awesome foliage green magpul upgrades on that thing, perhaps some pmags or something

pmag10.jpg

or the AFG

TEMP_MAGPUL-118_1_3.jpg

can you tell I'm obsessed?

Man I love my AR.( spikes tactical). However if I only had one firearm the AR wouldn't be it. I like having a handgun as well.

Thats what I'm trying to decide between. Do I want to just have a decent rifle in the .22LR, or do I want to have one gun that is a really nice rifle? Part of me still wants to have a handgun but I don't know for sure...

Thats what I'm trying to decide between. Do I want to just have a decent rifle in the .22LR, or do I want to have one gun that is a really nice rifle? Part of me still wants to have a handgun but I don't know for sure...

well why not just keep the handgun and but the 22 for now, then save up for the best AR that you can find later?

Me personally I would want both. Also I don't know the brand or condition of your 40 but for what he's offering you I would keep it and just save up for the AR. You won't be able to replace your side arm for what he's going to give you in trade.

well why not just keep the handgun and but the 22 for now, then save up for the best AR that you can find later?

Me personally I would want both. Also I don't know the brand or condition of your 40 but for what he's offering you I would keep it and just save up for the AR. You won't be able to replace your side arm for what he's going to give you in trade.

It is a Springfield XD40, looks brand new still, but I bought it from a friend used for $300 and he barely put any rounds through it. So I wouldnt be taking much loss. There is no way my wife will let me get another gun after this purchase, it has been hard enough to talk her into this one...I kinda understand where she is coming from though...I dont have a huge need for them, it is just something I want. Plus we have the baby on the way so once he/she is here I will really be broke. This is my last chance to splurge before the baby is here.

My reason for kinda wanting a rifle for home defense is my accuracy with them. In the heat of the moment if something happens I know I probably won't be taking my time like I do on the range, and even on the range yesterday I tended to anticipate my shot with the .40 and I push the gun left a little. Even on 25 foot shots I was missing many left of the target. I used my buddy's rifle and put the target 75 feet down range and I placed 15 shots within 2 inches in the heart and 15 perfect head shots. I know in home defense I won't have to shoot that far, but to have more rounds in case I miss is a plus, and I could miss all 10 shots if I was shooting my .40 like yesterday! lol

Yeah you may miss.. But somebody's going to run away if you start shooting.lol. I'd buy the 22 and keep the 40.

Yeah you may miss.. But somebody's going to run away if you start shooting.lol. I'd buy the 22 and keep the 40.

yeah I say that too, although it won't have the "stopping power" of a .223, a block of .22 is like $20, so go ahead, shot more ammo. . .haha

yeah I say that too, although it won't have the "stopping power" of a .223, a block of .22 is like $20, so go ahead, shot more ammo. . .haha
Stoping power is what the 40 is for!!!!

eff the pistol... an full blown AR is way more intimidating even before fire a shot lol
i say go for the gold

waiting until the get the .357 sig HP and FMJ in stock, but plan to run their .357 sig and 9mm.

If you don't know of him already check out tnoutdoors9 on youtube, he did 4-5 tests on underwood, and gives you a good idea what they can do. The fps all came out over the advertised numbers which we all know is rare.

I've seen a number of the video's that have been done as well as ballistics101.com review a couple months ago. They do list some pretty good prices on their .357sig rounds, at least in my area they are pretty pricy to pick up... going to have to get a few boxes of that. I have a drop in barrel for my Sig 229; I usually use it in .40 due to ammo availability and cost... but the 357 is a great round and fun to shoot. When it get's in, don't take it all!!

This thing must be awesome to shoot

H&K FTW!

It is a Springfield XD40, looks brand new still, but I bought it from a friend used for $300 and he barely put any rounds through it. So I wouldnt be taking much loss. There is no way my wife will let me get another gun after this purchase, it has been hard enough to talk her into this one...I kinda understand where she is coming from though...I dont have a huge need for them, it is just something I want. Plus we have the baby on the way so once he/she is here I will really be broke. This is my last chance to splurge before the baby is here.

My reason for kinda wanting a rifle for home defense is my accuracy with them. In the heat of the moment if something happens I know I probably won't be taking my time like I do on the range, and even on the range yesterday I tended to anticipate my shot with the .40 and I push the gun left a little. Even on 25 foot shots I was missing many left of the target. I used my buddy's rifle and put the target 75 feet down range and I placed 15 shots within 2 inches in the heart and 15 perfect head shots. I know in home defense I won't have to shoot that far, but to have more rounds in case I miss is a plus, and I could miss all 10 shots if I was shooting my .40 like yesterday! lol

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth... the XD40 is a solid weapon and if your truly looking for a home defense weapon it will surly fit the bill. If your struggling with accuracy with it, it's no different than golf... probably not the weapon. If your missing left it's probably your grip and / or trigger squeeze. Sure, a rifle is more accurate at distances, but has a lot of disadvantages as well.

I get having a rifle around... especially an AR, lord know's I have a few... but Rifles are not home defense weapons; their long range weapons. your .40 with the right ammo has a lot more stopping power than a 22LR; and having a .223 AR generally is not a good idea for in home defense. Rifle rounds will go penetrate through things like furniture, drywall etc. Big difference in a round going over 3,000 feet per second vs a handgun round at 1000 feet / second (very general based on ammo) They are also much harder to move around quickly and acquire a target than a handgun is.

If you want a rifle for fun, targets etc I'm all for it and can recommend some good gear for that, but if it truly is for home defense of you and your family your better off practicing with your .40 (sounds like you got a great price on a solid pistol) and taking a NRA home defense course, or checking some IDPA / USPSA events.

And if you really want a good home defense weapon get a shotgun. Pistol grip with the right shot will do the job.

And if you really want a good home defense weapon get a shotgun. Pistol grip with the right shot will do the job.

that's what I've always been told lol, and hey it's hard not to hit a target that close with a shot gun, plus it's intimidating.

Kmac and his shot gun. . .

I've seen a number of the video's that have been done as well as ballistics101.com review a couple months ago. They do list some pretty good prices on their .357sig rounds, at least in my area they are pretty pricy to pick up... going to have to get a few boxes of that. I have a drop in barrel for my Sig 229; I usually use it in .40 due to ammo availability and cost... but the 357 is a great round and fun to shoot. When it get's in, don't take it all!!

Yes the P229 is built for the .357 sig and .40 rounds, i love mine, and have both barrels as well. I also have a compact M&P that has both barrels so i love the options.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth... the XD40 is a solid weapon and if your truly looking for a home defense weapon it will surly fit the bill. If your struggling with accuracy with it, it's no different than golf... probably not the weapon. If your missing left it's probably your grip and / or trigger squeeze. Sure, a rifle is more accurate at distances, but has a lot of disadvantages as well.

I get having a rifle around... especially an AR, lord know's I have a few... but Rifles are not home defense weapons; their long range weapons. your .40 with the right ammo has a lot more stopping power than a 22LR; and having a .223 AR generally is not a good idea for in home defense. Rifle rounds will go penetrate through things like furniture, drywall etc. Big difference in a round going over 3,000 feet per second vs a handgun round at 1000 feet / second (very general based on ammo) They are also much harder to move around quickly and acquire a target than a handgun is.

If you want a rifle for fun, targets etc I'm all for it and can recommend some good gear for that, but if it truly is for home defense of you and your family your better off practicing with your .40 (sounds like you got a great price on a solid pistol) and taking a NRA home defense course, or checking some IDPA / USPSA events.

Could not have said it better myself, home defense is just that, defending your home, inside your home. A 5.56/.223 round will have more chance of putting a small neat little hole in someone at home defense ranges (15-30 feet at most) than actually fragmenting and dumping all it's energy on target.

You got a great price on that .40, and if it's giving you that much trouble, maybe think about switching to 9mm. I carry 9mm most out of all the calibers i have available to me, and I don't for a second feel under gunned. Key with shooting is hitting your target, hitting it under stress, and dumping as many rounds on center mass in the most efficient time.

Look up some books by this guy " Massad Ayoob " most everyone that shoots would say he is one of the top guys to take advice from.

If home defense is a real priority for you, work on your skills with what you have. If you just want to buy this rifle maybe it's more for impulse than anything. Trust me i have made some impulse buys as far as guns go myself.

that's what I've always been told lol, and hey it's hard not to hit a target that close with a shot gun, plus it's intimidating.

If you are talking pistol grip only, no stock, then i would disagree i have tried it and it's no pleasent or easy. As far as missing with a shot gun at close range, it happens more than you think. You fire at a target from 10-15 feet with a buck shot you will get a spread of about 2-3 inches maybe, where a shot gun really shines is at about 25-30 feet then you see a nice pattern of 5-6 inches.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle? I really like look of it and so far I've seen some pretty positive reviews. Seems like a good rifle to pack in the tight brush. Sadly though, Canadian ones have an 18" stainless barrel instead of the 16.5" barrel with the flash suppressor.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle? I really like look of it and so far I've seen some pretty positive reviews. Seems like a good rifle to pack in the tight brush. Sadly though, Canadian ones have an 18" stainless barrel instead of the 16.5" barrel with the flash suppressor.

Limited experience but Ruger had a good idea over all. Put about 20 rounds through it, at about 100 yards and was putting up 2-3 inch groups.

I should have never stumbled back into this thread! Sig, XD's, CZ's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and off to the gunshow I'll be going.

I think I am going to finally cross an item off my gun owning bucket list and buy a Colt Python 6" SS (.357 obviously). I'm nearly over the whole "tactical" craze after building a few Walther P99's and CZ's that a SEAL would kill for.

My Dad was a gun dealer until I was a teenager (or the Brady Bill became law more accurately,,,, Dad was never much for paperwork) and this was THE GUN that everyone coveted back then and therefore holds a special commemorative place in my heart. IMO it is the finest revolver ever made.

I equate it to buying a '69 Corvette or '67 GT500,,,, a classic that I'll keep the rest of my life and pass on to my kids.

Kinda funny if u know what ur doing u can use an m4 very fast shooting and acquiring a target while your moving just gotta be good with your weapon cuz I promise ill put more lead down range and just as fast with my m4 as you with a pistol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back