had my club fitting...

OK, here's the problem I have with that article:

The article explained:

"Despite the prevalent impression that fitting is only for serious players with consistent swings, it is now recommended for beginners as well. Why? Even hackers tend to have something in common: they execute the same basic swing fault over and over. The right clubs can minimize the deleterious outcomes."

So what they're saying is that rather than fix the problem, it's somehow easier or better to have clubs fitted TO the problem?

That makes no sense to me at all.

And what happens if "the same basic swing fault" is overcome? Now they need to get fitted again?

What DOES make sense is what was written later:

“If you’ve taken up golf and plan to keep playing, you should get at least a rudimentary fitting,”

Get fitted for length, loft. lie and basic shaft flex. Then go out and learn to hit a golf ball with as good a swing as one is capable of developing and pay particular attention to developing consistency and repeatability.

THEN go and get a full-fledged custom fitting.

-JP

I agree with your point, however, for the vast majority of recreational golfers that aren't going to spend the money or time to improve their swing if getting fitted to clubs that will mask the flaw and make it fun for them to play, what is the harm?

The article explained:

"Despite the prevalent impression that fitting is only for serious players with consistent swings, it is now recommended for beginners as well. Why? Even hackers tend to have something in common: they execute the same basic swing fault over and over. The right clubs can minimize the deleterious outcomes."

So what they're saying is that rather than fix the problem, it's somehow easier or better to have clubs fitted TO the problem?

And what happens if "the same basic swing fault" is overcome? Now they need to get fitted again?

What DOES make sense is what was written later:

“If you’ve taken up golf and plan to keep playing, you should get at least a rudimentary fitting,”

Get fitted for length, loft. lie and basic shaft flex. Then go out and learn to hit a golf ball with as good a swing as one is capable of developing and pay particular attention to developing consistency and repeatability.

THEN go and get a full-fledged custom fitting.

-JP

Jp,

IMHO, Everyone should get fitted regardless of skill.Getting fitted should help their game some.It's all about controlling the misses.

Of course beginners will/should get refitted as they improve upon their swing technique.It may not be a length adjustment as it will for sure be a lie angle adjustment.

Everyone should get refitted every year for lie adjustments.Our swing changes as we get older or improve or for the worst regress backwards. Lie angle is vital to ones game.

Swing changes alone may require lie angle adjustments.Why wouldn't you pay a few dollars every year to check them?This game is hard enough to play with fitted clubs,thus we all should get our lie angles checked/adjusted every year.

Jp,

IMHO, Everyone should get fitted regardless of skill.Getting fitted should help their game some.It's all about controlling the misses.

Of course beginners will/should get refitted as they improve upon their swing technique.It may not be a length adjustment as it will for sure be a lie angle adjustment.

Everyone should get refitted every year for lie adjustments.Our swing changes as we get older or improve or for the worst regress backwards. Lie angle is vital to ones game.

Swing changes alone may require lie angle adjustments.Why wouldn't you pay a few dollars every year to check them?This game is hard enough to play with fitted clubs,thus we all should get our lie angles checked/adjusted every year.

That's fine and dandy if you are someone for whom money does not matter. But most of us are on budgets. Clubs, green fees, lessons, balls, range balls, etc. put a strain on that budget already. Golf is an exceptionally expensive sport.

It's hard enough for a beginner to make the capital investment to play golf when they are trying to decide if they are even going to like or stick with the game. But if you factor in a full fitting (for a swing that is going to change drastically in a short period) and custom clubs (try of find an inexpensive full set of clubs that would include all of the recommendations from a full fitting), then you are making the sport nearly impossible, either in fact or in perception, for a potential beginner.

That's fine and dandy if you are someone for whom money does not matter. But most of us are on budgets. Clubs, green fees, lessons, balls, range balls, etc. put a strain on that budget already. Golf is an exceptionally expensive sport.

It's hard enough for a beginner to make the capital investment to play golf when they are trying to decide if they are even going to like or stick with the game. But if you factor in a full fitting (for a swing that is going to change drastically in a short period) and custom clubs (try of find an inexpensive full set of clubs that would include all of the recommendations from a full fitting), then you are making the sport nearly impossible, either in fact or in perception, for a potential beginner.

Lie fittings are only 45-60 dollars with bending .Wouldn't that be a wise decision to have done?

Beginners,I send them straight to the range and course with their clubs.All I do is fit for proper length.That shouldn't change as they progress.I tell them to come back in approx 4 months after they have practice and or taken a few lessons for a lie angle fitting.If they bought clubs from me,then the fitting is 1/2 price.More often then not,I will also give them the fitting for 1/2 off even if they bought elsewhere.I'm all about helping them improve.

The article explained:

That is actually exactly what I am doing. During my fitting I was hitting the ball towards the toe. The pro said that he could set the club 2* but that he also thought that a few swing changes (standing less upright, dropping my hands) would make the changes not necessary or maybe just not as much. So I opted to try the swing changes and I will go back for a fitting once I am comfortable to take another look. We all have to keep adjusting our swings to get better, but it can be a tough road during the transition!

By the way, first round tomorrow AM with the Burner. I will be interested to see what GG thinks.

She is loving hers so far.

Ok, I love this driver (TM Burner 09). No seriously love this driver. I missed one fairway all day and was killing the ball. Straight down the middle was my favorite part!

Very cool, Soxy!

Ahhh, the lovely game of golf. Went out yesterday after work to play and couldn't hit my driver to save my life (or any other clubs for that matter)! Not the drivers fault though, it was my own and I did seem to work it out by the end of the round, but don't you just love having a great round one day and then a horrible round the next? What happened in those 24 hours?

What happened in those 24 hours?

I think that's how long it takes for reality to set in Soxy! hehe
At least that's what it takes for me!

Back