if you live in the valley or florida in winter, golf is so expensive. forget equipment cost as that is not material. I feel for locals just trying to find golf as a hobby in these areas.

Even in the middle of Ameria where golf is cheap our wage rates do not let the younger generations play unless you sell your soul to golf. Phoenix/Scottsdale would make me blush and say no in winter.

I understand the frustration of the OP. However, if you're willing to travel, you can find reasonable golf in AZ during this time. Keep in mind, the traveler is what is driving these costs so high in the Valley. So, play their game. Make a day of it and head to Tucson, or Eloy, Casa Grande. If you're not willing to go outside of your local bubble to play golf, then maybe it is best that you just hang it up. Maybe it doesn't mean enough to you to do that. That's for you to decide. You could also join the AZTHP group and get together with us once a month (plan on driving). But at least it's something. We'd be happy to have you as a guest before you decided to commit to the league. Just food for thought. 🤷‍♂️

Reading through this thread makes me happy that I live in the DFW area close to Fort Worth. I can play all the golf I want for $50 and under and no 5 hour rounds.

if you live in the valley or florida in winter, golf is so expensive. forget equipment cost as that is not material. I feel for locals just trying to find golf as a hobby in these areas.

Even in the middle of Ameria where golf is cheap our wage rates do not let the younger generations play unless you sell your soul to golf. Phoenix/Scottsdale would make me blush and say no in winter.
Golf is not that expensive in FL in the winter. Plenty of courses that are reasonably priced

Golf is not that expensive in FL in the winter. Plenty of courses that are reasonably priced

well Phx would be generally more but lots of courses between West palm and Fort meyers are expensive vs my midwest tastes of $50 for a round

Rocked up to the course a little before 3 this afternoon and walked 9 by myself in an hour fifteen. Had the front 9 to myself. Gorgeous day in the low 40s .....

I understand the frustration of the OP. However, if you're willing to travel, you can find reasonable golf in AZ during this time. Keep in mind, the traveler is what is driving these costs so high in the Valley. So, play their game. Make a day of it and head to Tucson, or Eloy, Casa Grande. If you're not willing to go outside of your local bubble to play golf, then maybe it is best that you just hang it up. Maybe it doesn't mean enough to you to do that. That's for you to decide. You could also join the AZTHP group and get together with us once a month (plan on driving). But at least it's something. We'd be happy to have you as a guest before you decided to commit to the league. Just food for thought. 🤷‍♂️

You’re talking like I’ve got no experience with golf in the Valley or surrounding areas. I’ve lived around the greater area for over a decade and have played somewhere around 70-80% of the courses. Yes, I’ve played somewhere near 100 golf courses in Arizona. That includes private clubs. I was with the Summer Tour for 8 years and played a different course every Sunday from Feb to Sept each year. This group plays everywhere from Sun City to Troon, Prescott, Sedona, Tucson, and everything in between.

I’ve made it pretty clear that I’m not leaving golf entirely, but this game requires consistency. You need a place to practice regularly at a decent price, and more importantly, you need to play golf on the actual course on a consistent basis to keep a legitimate GHIN and overall skill set sharp enough to be competitive in any way. Even if it’s just your weekend skins game. Otherwise, you’re just giving money away.

Driving doesn’t solve this equation. Consistent, convenient, affordable golf has become essentially out of reach. That is the point of this thread. There will always be a workaround of some kind that may solve for some of this, but driving to Tucson every weekend to play some middle tier course isn’t a solution in my eyes. I’d just save the gas money and pay the $200 to play something decent in the Valley. I’ll still go on golf trips from time to time and want to play some bucket list courses before my time is up, but the practice 3x per week + golf every weekend thing is over.

I know many live the AZ area, because of winter golf but I keep thinking it’s a bit of fools gold because you give up summer golf. The Midwest continues to be the butt of jokes but 11 months of golf in Louisville and my $1500 yearly membership with $50-$80 green fees everywhere else continues to be a bargain. Louisville is a steal for golfers if you want something different. Yes it still takes 4-5 hours to play during the summer, but you get a lot of value in this area. Your house budget will go a lot farther as well. Just bring a giant bottle of Allegra for the allergies.

Location Location Location. That's because you live in the high rent district. It's all about where ya live. Clubs are pricey but if ya didn't live where ya do, you could afford to buy clubs ever year. Phoenix/Scottsdale, nice place to visit but golf is pita there in many ways. Good luck.

Last edited:
well Phx would be generally more but lots of courses between West palm and Fort meyers are expensive vs my midwest tastes of $50 for a round
I’ve found 3 different courses all within an hour of fort Myers that are less than 70 bucks.

My Midwest travel rounds are all around 100 to the nicer courses and 60-70 at the general ones.

You’re talking like I’ve got no experience with golf in the Valley or surrounding areas. I’ve lived around the greater area for over a decade and have played somewhere around 70-80% of the courses. Yes, I’ve played somewhere near 100 golf courses in Arizona. That includes private clubs. I was with the Summer Tour for 8 years and played a different course every Sunday from Feb to Sept each year. This group plays everywhere from Sun City to Troon, Prescott, Sedona, Tucson, and everything in between.

I’ve made it pretty clear that I’m not leaving golf entirely, but this game requires consistency. You need a place to practice regularly at a decent price, and more importantly, you need to play golf on the actual course on a consistent basis to keep a legitimate GHIN and overall skill set sharp enough to be competitive in any way. Even if it’s just your weekend skins game. Otherwise, you’re just giving money away.

Driving doesn’t solve this equation. Consistent, convenient, affordable golf has become essentially out of reach. That is the point of this thread. There will always be a workaround of some kind that may solve for some of this, but driving to Tucson every weekend to play some middle tier course isn’t a solution in my eyes. I’d just save the gas money and pay the $200 to play something decent in the Valley. I’ll still go on golf trips from time to time and want to play some bucket list courses before my time is up, but the practice 3x per week + golf every weekend thing is over.
So, your focus is convenient, competitive, and affordable. Yeah, hang it up or move. 🤷‍♂️

Back