Has using a rangefinder improved your scores?

For me knowing an exact yardage can over complicate things. I shoot better just knowing front, mid, back distances. Im not good enough to hit it 137yds on the dot but that yardage now put me between clubs and has me second guessing my club selection.

I think it has. I now know how far hazards are, so I can play long more often.
And I also have a "dial-in" distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really helps to know the lay up numbers, and guessing is never good in golf for sure!

I find it most helpful on courses that I haven't played before. The courses that I play regularly I can usually gauge the distance pretty well without. I did play last week for the first time with GPS and that was really nice.

I think I'm with you both. "Blue flag, blue is back, there's NO WAY that flag is on the back. What was the yellow flag again?"

Plus, I'm stubborn and won't get the glasses I obviously need. "Oh, that flag was red?"

Plus, I'm stubborn and won't get the glasses I obviously need. "Oh, that flag was red?"
Haha. I have an eye exam scheduled for mid August. I'm terrified…

One thing I have/had an issue with is keeping my hand steady. Tried to shoot a flag on the back of the range that I was easily carrying (Internet golfer brag)**. It was reading 310 but was hard to get a read on it

** only hit 8 iron all practice round. Just wanted to Internet brag :)

It has certainly eliminated an excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ceasing to use a rangefinder on the course has actually helped me...no more pin hunting.

Doesn't really help me a lot on my home course since I play 95+% of my rounds there. Definitely helps when I play other courses though.

They are usually colored or numbered on the card/in the cart no?

My home course is a small municipal....they dont put out pin sheets and dont have colored flags so you can never tell where the pin is at without a rangefinder

My home course is a small municipal....they dont put out pin sheets and dont have colored flags so you can never tell where the pin is at without a rangefinder
That's how my little course is too.

Absolutely rangefinders have improved my scores. And sped up my rounds. Not only do I know my exact yardage, but when my tee ball is inevitably off in the giggles I don't have to take the time to guess or walk it off.

Honestly I cannot say that it has helped me. My best rounds have been where I just find the fairway marker that shows the middle of the green and hit that club. It gives me cushion short and long. If you hit to a yardage you have very little cushion if you're long on a back pin and vice-versa. I'm not good enough to need anything less than a 10 yard range.

Can't play without it.

I used a rangefinder for years before switching to a GPS, and now I could not live without it. Not sure it has made me that much better overall, but it saves time vs. stepping off distances etc.

Absolutely it has helped. Not only does it make club selection easier in order to get closer to the hole, but over time it really helps to dial in how far you can hit each club. Put the two together and I've made a bunch more pars and birdies than I had before getting one.

One thing I have/had an issue with is keeping my hand steady. Tried to shoot a flag on the back of the range that I was easily carrying (Internet golfer brag)**. It was reading 310 but was hard to get a read on it
The Bushnell Jolt ones do a great job in that situation--if they see the flag they buzz and lock the distance, even if you move off it.

Nope, but it saves time and beats trying to find a yardage marker.

I lied. My watch died tonight, and as soon as I pulled out my rangefinder, I started firing at flags....

Most definitely. I shoot just about every shot with my rangefinder and it makes me make better decisions, especially on par 5 holes.

I have to say yes, it has improved my scores by a couple shots. It has made me more confident in my distances and gave me more input than i previously had. It's also probably sped up my rounds as well.

Last edited:
It may not have directly helped my scoring, but it definitely gives me more confidence that I have the right number and right club when I step up to the shot. I used to be a walk-off-the-number-from-the-sprinkler-head-guy, but this is quicker and more accurate and the rangefinder was probably one of my better purchases over the past two years.

Without a doubt

Not that I have noticed, it may have but I have no way to measure that.

Picked up the V3 yesterday and headed straight to the course. Now before i state my score, here is the situation. I have spent the last 4 months rebuilding my bag. I started last Oct with a fit set of Ping G30 irons. I struggled to dial them in. In Feb a friend of mine let me hit is titleist blades. After spending a month away from home working and being able to go to a driving range 5 days a week. I was able to get my swing and mind right. So I decided to pic a set of Ping S58 blades up that were 1/2 longer and green dot light which matched my g30 set. I then swapped from the big bertha driver to a ping 9* answer driver after a couple of rds realized i need something with more loft and moved to a 12* which is now set at 11*. So day before yesterday I played from the blue tees with a friend that had a range finder and shot a 87 which has been my lowest score in a very long time. Most problems were off the tee. Well after picking up V3 I headed back to same course and decided to play the white tees as i just changed wedges out (added ping gorge wedges). I played by myself, got my driver in line. Had one ob all day, ( I blame that on sweat and a wet glove as club turned in hand and I hit ball straight off to right which was ob.) So using range finder on all holes, came in handing planning lay up shots. I shot a 78, which Is my best score ever. I am not a pin seeker player but i do believe if you hit the greens you can make par and the occasional birdie. I always aim for the middle or the miss which for me is left. I had two three put holes which happened to be the first two holes on the rd. After getting use to the speed of the greens my pitch/chip ups were close. I had two birdies for the day which were good putts. I have also committed to alignment marks on all my balls for putting, and marking and aligning every putt, no matter the distance. I believe the use of the range finder takes the quess work out and when i grab a club i don't worry about will it get there, I just focus on a good swing the club will take care of the distance.

Back