Have you caused property damage on a golf course?

pingman222

Reaction score
Handicap
Slow Play
No i'm not talking about laying the sod over the ball, but how many of you guys have caused property damage while on a golf course, maybe more specifically as a result of a golf shot and not just rolling carts over?

Eg. shank one into a house-lined course and broken a window etc. etc.

When i was younger about 13, my friends were backshop workers at a club. I didn't golf much because i couldn't afford it, but they took me out with them for free. the course winds through housing and they are very close to the course.

On one hole i was in the right rough and at the time had the normal "slice". It was a bad time to hit one of those standard shots with my 3W, sliced right into a yard and next thing i know all i can hear is a ton of glass shattering. We walk up there and these people are 10 yards off the fwy and had the large 2'x4' panes of glass for deck railings. My heart sank into my stomach thinking about how my parents would react. I doorbelled at the house and told the owner what happened, in the end my parents and them agreed to fixing it 50/50.

Even though i'm a more controlled player these days, playing on home-lined courses always worries me because of that very day.

I'm sure there are some good stories on here so lets hear em!

Just last week I put a nice dent in to top of a truck. The parking lot is right behind the 18th green. I've got 75 or so yards to the hole and proceed to thin one right into the parking lot. Takes a huge bounce and barely misses the windshield. Waited around for the guy, he was cool about it couldn't care less.

Once in high school my friend got us permanently banned from a course. Driving range is right in front of the club house, he has the far right stall with the poles for the net right next to him. He shanks one into the pole, goes straight back and through a club house window.

Just last week I put a nice dent in to top of a truck. The parking lot is right behind the 18th green. I've got 75 or so yards to the hole and proceed to thin one right into the parking lot. Takes a huge bounce and barely misses the windshield. Waited around for the guy, he was cool about it couldn't care less.

Once in high school my friend got us permanently banned from a course. Driving range is right in front of the club house, he has the far right stall with the poles for the net right next to him. He shanks one into the pole, goes straight back and through a club house window.

it baffles me sometimes the placement of amenities that courses have. I wouldn't be parking my car anywhere near that line if possible! haha

it baffles me sometimes the placement of amenities that courses have. I wouldn't be parking my car anywhere near that line if possible! haha

Me too. There is a huge sign that says park at own risk, yet it's the first spot people park.

I witnessed someone hit a line drive that hit the flag stick dead on and broke the flag stick (it just bent over at the spot where the ball hit it). His shot end up just a couple feet from the hole and he made the putt to save par. Was quite funny.

Not yet but I almost killed about twenty college kids at the first Morgan cup drunk on a balcony.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

As many rounds as I've played on residential courses I'm sure I have, but I have never discovered the damage.

Yep, sliding glass door. Home owner was in the fairway before we were off the tee. $390 later he had a new door.

I think I've hit a roof and a deck or two, but I don't know of any damage caused thankfully!

I think I've hit a roof and a deck or two, but I don't know of any damage caused thankfully!

Definitely had my share of roof-balls too. Thankfully no more glass shattering sounds though!

Beware the temptation of driveable Par 4's with greens near the clubhouse. Earlier this year I lost one just a tad right of the fairway and took a giant bounce on the RH green/approach cartpath and then hit the metal roof of the clubhouse loud enough that I could hear it on the tee 300 yards away. I was glad there was no broken glass, and I thought for sure someone was going to come out to say something because league had just finished and clubhouse was pretty full. No harm no foul but I haven't tried that shot since, been choosing 3-wood to stay outta trouble :alien:

Nope. Never.

Not to my knowledge

Once skulled a flop shot over a practice green and broke a window on the clubhouse when I was in middle school!!!

When I first learned to play, I learned in a group of 5. After 10 lessons over a period of time the instructor wanted to play 3 holes on the course to put everything together. I had been doing really well on the range and mats. Since we had a small number we where able to spread out at the range so I was always comfortable because I felt like no one was watching.

The day we all went to the course I would be hitting the second shot (best ball). I lined up my target and got into position and tried to block out everyone looking at me...I promptly hit it into the window of the cart shed. It was no where near the area I was aiming. I felt like the whole course heard that window break!

Not as far as I know of but it hasn't been for lack of opportunity.

Not yet but I almost killed about twenty college kids at the first Morgan cup drunk on a balcony.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
That's what they get for being in your line.

I've hit my share of houses and a car once, but no damage as of yet, that I know of.

I don't think I've ever damaged anything, thank god.

Not to my knowledge.

As freshman in high school one of my friends drove a cart into a tree stump and broke the front axel. The next season a drivers license was required to rent a cart and all of the park district courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I am new to the game, I am too scared to play house lined courses.
How are these situations handled? Is the golfer responsible or the homeowner since his house is next to a golf course? I have heard from other players that it goes both ways

As I am new to the game, I am too scared to play house lined courses.
How are these situations handled? Is the golfer responsible or the homeowner since his house is next to a golf course? I have heard from other players that it goes both ways

On one of the local courses I play there is a sign that states golfers are responsible for any damage done to the homes beside the course. They even mention it to anyone that's new to the course at the clubhouse. I usually lay up and play it safe on those holes especially if I'm having an off day.

Broke the head of a rental 3W. Course didn't charge me for it... I was actually swinging at the ball when the head flew off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have sliced one or two or a few into the housing community. Not sure the damage if any it caused.

I hit the restaurant of my old club, when I overshot the green to the left, but no visible damage at least. I hit a house several years ago off the tee, but it was a wall and the homeowner came out and said there was no damage.

So a couple close calls, but I guess not yet.

Back