Have you ever been fit for clubs?

Have you ever been fit for clubs?

• Yes

Votes: 99 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.7%

• Total voters
Multiple times. As a fitter and working with several othe fitters, I’m fortunate to be able to get fit as needed, most recently a full bag in the last 3 weeks.

I have never been to a store for a fitting. I'm sure there are establishments so equipped to figure out what grip, length and weight suits you before the iterations of shafts and heads. Of course it's going to cost more when I want to swing my grip (built to my specs) with every shaft handed to me. I also want differing lengths in every shaft (in 1/4 inch increments available). I want all of the OEM weights available plus lead tape for any fine tuning in cases where it's not fine enough (like pxg increment is 2.5g). I must be able to walk out of the store with the setup that is deemed a success. No ordering. There are enough variation in tolerances among grips, shafts and heads to throw it all off. This will cost more than $75. I understand many won't want to spend anymore then you get what you pay for. I hear of fittings where they basically steer you to a few shafts in stock lengths and stock heads with stock grips. That's a force fit. Force you to pick the best choices with a vendor line.
A more in depth survey might describe fitting in a few categories and see how many were really a force fit.

Not really. Hit driver(s) on a sim to make selection. All other clubs just picked out, made adjustments as I've gone along. Mainly grips, but did cut a few shafts at butt end. Bought a set of hybrid irons on the internet, with club customization, such grips, grip thickness, shafts, and shaft length. Bought a putter online, but had tried a few out at a big box store. Wedges came off the rack, grip change for me. Going to get a Golftec for swing evaluation in March, which is already scheduled...

I've been fit a few times over the years.
CC (driver, putter), Hot Stix (now Cool Clubs), PGASS, Weitzel Golf in Colorado, Puetz and Tom Wells Golf in Wa.
I liked the Hot Stix, Weitzel both outside on grass, and CC experiences best, and thought they were the most thorough and yielded the best results.
I'd like to work through an outdoor gapping session, but honestly, I can pretty much do that myself on a range with good balls.

Many times in various ways but all provided good results. 5X for Driver, 3X for FWs, 3X for hybrid, 3X for iron sets, once for specialty wedges, and once for putter.

I was fit into my irons at a Taylor Made Performance Studio. I was put into clubs half inch long 2 deg upright. Whenever I’d had fittings at a store previously with just the boards and tape, I’d always ended up with fully stock clubs. I hit the ball better with my new irons, but my scores never actually dropped.

I've been fit a few times, but typically brand specific. I got fit for Ping drivers at a country club I belonged to when they had demo days, fit for Callaway equipment at #TheGrandaddy, and fit for PXG irons outdoors with a trackman. The closest I've come to fitting where different brands of clubs and shafts were compared was hitting Ping irons and comparing them to Callaway irons in a bay at PGA Tour Superstore.

Yes, but its probably been ~10 years ago. I'm sure my specs have changed with age, but I'm still using the Ping irons that I bought back then.

I’ve been fit for irons about a year and a half ago. Enjoyed the process and learned a lot about my swing and what Worked for me.

Got fit for a driver at GolfTec and didn't enjoy the experience.

Got fit for irons at Dicks. For what that's worth.

Got fit for a driver at GolfTec and didn't enjoy the experience.

Got fit for irons at Dicks. For what that's worth.
Sometimes the coaches at GolfTec can be a little snarky, dependent on who you get. Dicks really isn't the best place to get fit, but sometimes you get a person who knows the product, which is a plus. I bought my driver at Dicks, hit a bunch of drivers on the sim, and the young man told me about each one, and not the mfgs. spiel! After watching numerous fittings at PGASS, I think that it is a pretty darn good place to get fit. The coaches take time for adjustments, and instruct the fittee on small swing adjustments while being fitted...

Sometimes the coaches at GolfTec can be a little snarky, dependent on who you get. Dicks really isn't the best place to get fit, but sometimes you get a person who knows the product, which is a plus. I bought my driver at Dicks, hit a bunch of drivers on the sim, and the young man told me about each one, and not the mfgs. spiel! After watching numerous fittings at PGASS, I think that it is a pretty darn good place to get fit. The coaches take time for adjustments, and instruct the fittee on small swing adjustments while being fitted...

That describes it perfectly. Both were due to circumstances. Had a free fitting at GolfTec and the guy just didn't care. I get it, but it sucked.

Had gift cards to Dicks to get a set of irons. Got Ping G's. Still play them. But a fitting at Edwin Watts or PGASS would have been better.

A real honest to goodness fitting, only twice, for the same purchase. Once by a national chain of thieves who specialize in fitting you into obscure, overpriced shafts, once by Carl's Golfland, who put me into the same heads with stock shafts and better (though very similar) results for a grand less.
We didnt used to have all these digitally driven fittings. Somehow I managed to stay on the + side for over 20 years just hitting clubs and picking my arsenal.

I was fit for irons and driver a decade ago. Will do this again when n the spring/early summer. It was a really good experience and I will go back to the same place.

Back