Have you ever been fit for clubs?

Have you ever been fit for clubs?

• Yes

Votes: 99 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.7%

• Total voters
No - don t think it is really necessary if you know what works and does not work. Launch monitors lie and the fitter gets a commission.. but hey - if it works for you -- do it.

I got fit by Mike Dickerson at GolfMD in Lenexa, KS. My first time, and was a good experience. I went in with 10 year old Ping G10s, and a G30 driver. like most I got fit with a 6 iron. with no5 playing enough I was really after just finding out my swing speed, and what shaft flex I should be looking for. Found right away I was in between a reg and stiff in most. So found that the Motus 3 tour 105 and Project X LZ in 5.5 were the two shafts for me. I liked the feel of the LZ better, so we stuck with that. Danced around all the normal club heads from last year, and none really stuck out until the Mizuno Hot Metals. Did the best with those and then on he had mope hit the Srixon ZX5. And that was clearly the best head for me.

Then went through the driver fitting and started with my stock G30 driver. Mike kind of saw I wasn’t going to be overwhelmed with anything super fancy, nor after that. So we worked the Accra and Fujikura Vista Pro lineup to find the best fit. I ended up hitting the Vista Pro the straightest. We swapped in a couple of different heads and didn’t gain much. He told me to stick with the G30, and voight a new Vista Pro shaft for in it. The Radspeed head was my best performing new head, so kept that in mind, but didn’t buy it. I have since bought a head off eBay and now play that head in the same shaft as my fitting.

What I was most impressed with was near the end of the fitting. Mike had me hit the ZX5 head on the Project X shafts and saw i was fighting a consistent miss left (I’m lefty). After staring at me for about 5 more swings, he stopped me and went into coach mode. My impact was fine, smash factor good, etc. I always played an overly aggressive double overlapping grip, and Mike said that is horrible and is preventing me from releasing the club through impact. So immediately changed to a more standard grip and started nailing nice draws. So for a two hour fitting with a 5 minute grip change I walked out with way more confidence and a better swing. Bought the driver shaft and went on.

got the irons later on for Christmas last year and have enjoyed them. I’m looking to try a 5 iron and 6 iron in the ZX4 dor some more forgiveness. And like most I want to tinker with graphite shafts, primarily due to you all on the forum. Thats no knock on my fitting though.

Irons: I went in with a set of Adams A4s and came out with a set of Mizuno JPX 850's. The Mizunos were an improvement.

Driver: Went in with an Adams Speedline driver, came out with a Titleist 915 (D2, I believe). Played better with the Adams driver until I replaced the shaft on the Titleist.

What about lie, shaft, and all that jazz?

My impression of a fitting means the club length, lie, and flex fit my swing. Two out of the three can be solved on the Ping chart. There’s a pretty wide range between regular and stiff but I think that’s pretty easy to figure out just from swing speed.

Im sure there’s more to it, but it seems like my swing is always changing a little anyway. Jury’s still out on the whole gig for me.

Dry erase marker, Ping chart, and range time is about where I’m at.

Fit for my current irons at a GolfTec here.

Decent enough fitting, although I would have preferred that it didn't have the attempt to get you into lessons while there.

I've been totally underwhelmed by the fittings I've had. We're spending upwards of $1000 on a set of irons; $600 on a driver; $300 ea on hybrids & FW; close to $200 ea on wedges; and $400 on putters. I expect more than a fitting on just a 7i. I want to know if I can even hit the 5i that comes with the "set". If I can't hit it well maybe I shouldn't buy it? Maybe the longest iron I can hit well is a 6i or 7i? Maybe the 7i should be the longest iron I get in the set? Then we need to fit hybrids. But how do we know which ones if the only iron they test us with is a 7i? Maybe I don't hit hybrids that well, and I'm more suited to a 7W and 9W or even an 11W? We don't know that until we try them.

If you don't have dots on the club heads so I can see how I'm delivering the club, and where I'm hitting the ball on the clubface, I'm walking out. I want to see what's going on. Also if you (the fitter) see something that needs to be corrected in a swing or putting stroke, tell me. If you think I'm rushing my tempo, tell me.

If I'm not going to get this kind of a fitting, I might as well just buy a set of used clubs on ebay.

I have never had what I would consider a blind fitting that I was unaware of what I was hitting and letting the numbers drive the decision in addition to other aspects such as sound, feel and look (standing over the ball), etc. I have had time had a pre-conceived brand or model in mind and gone in to get the best shaft from the stock offering.

I've been fit a couple of times for a full bag, and have loved the experience. Just a chance to see real differences between combinations, and the confidence of knowing that the clubs you have in hand are set up especially for you is huge.

I've only ever done a driver fitting and that was a long time ago, and it was fine, but more along the line of a big box store fitting (even though it was at a courses "fitting studio"). Nothing wrong with it and the Driver performed well. Plan on getting fit for irons this year.

Yep.

Driver at Windmill Lakes Training Center.

Irons at my club, Windmill Lakes Golf Club.

Many many times

I’m actually really surprised that 15% of people on THP haven’t…

Many many times

You know I think it was always about price for me. The normally purchase new clubs when they are discounted because a new model has hit the market. I sort of know what shaft flex works for me and I've just sort of rolled based on that. I'm sure I could use one because I'm likely leaving stroke out there.

Yes I have but its been a while since I've had a proper fitting

Yes, quite a few times. Each experience was pretty positive, while being different at the same time.

I was fitted for my irons (1998 Hogan Apex) and my putter (Ping G2 Tess).

Actually I surprised it is not more like 30% - if fitting worked all that well one would need to fit every year - cuz somethings change in these amateur bodies of ours.. :love:

Most recently irons beginning of this year and before that just the minimal fittings offered at PGA Superstore when I bought OG Rogue years ago and Epic Flash SZ years ago.

way before that was late 90’s when I got some green dot Pine Eye 2 blades

I’ve been fit for all my clubs except one. The driver was at the PGASS. My instructor did my putter. I live about a half hour away from Sub 70 so I’ve gone there for my Sub 70 clubs.

Nope... Lessons on a GCQuad helped with chosing lie angle but that's about it...

A

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Has the fitting helped? I think it is good to know basic things like does a regular or stiff shaft work better or if you are tall, the length should be adjusted. But, I am skeptical if a full fitting really saves strokes.

I've been fit at Club Champion and PGA Tour Superstore. I enjoyed both for different reasons, and found out things about my swing and tendencies in both!

Has the fitting helped? I think it is good to know basic things like does a regular or stiff shaft work better or if you are tall, the length should be adjusted. But, I am skeptical if a full fitting really saves strokes.
In my case it did. I used the same $1 balls and the balls would now land on the green and stay there, instead of rolling off into the rough when I hit my 7 iron.

Back