Have you ever been fit for clubs?

Have you ever been fit for clubs?

• Yes

Votes: 99 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.7%

• Total voters
I’ve been fit for irons several times. I am going to do a Driver fitting next year.

For my putter.

I have been fit multiple times. One of the first real fittings I did was probably 25 years ago when Taylor Made came to my club. I have been fit multiple times over the years and have a fitting lined up for next month at CC.

I only went through one extensive fitting. It was for a driver. I got fit in the fall. Worked on my swing all winter and then the driver was definitely not the best option for me.

It was the most accurate driver I have ever played, but I lost 20 yards.

Yes my current set of irons

Pretty recently. Yes.

I went for a driver fitting years ago, sort of, Only hit a Taylor Made driver, kind of like he was steering me to that driver.

many times. it’s a lot of fun.

Twice. Once was a basic Ping fitting at a local shop - static fitting and a few swings on a lie board. The other was a Callaway fitting at a Top Golf facility, using GC Quad.

Absolutely and well worth it. Barring being chosen for an event in the upcoming year I am going to do a full bag fit in 2024 and update clubs where it is beneficial to my game.

I have not, but I'm definitely going to get fit before I go to whichever event I choose.

Do you not get fit again as AssCap?
Based on what I know about the last two iterations, I may get a club or two but I won’t be fit.

I’m not there as a participant per say. While I’m there, my job is to help guide and keep on track. Make sure they get what they need and make sure they have the absolute time of their lives. Handle some behind the scenes things like make sure they post their scores in the right spot ;) Help document moments for them and for the forum. And most of all, help create a culture for the team to make sure we do everything we can to make sure this event comes back again for the next group!

Based on what I know about the last two iterations, I may get a club or two but I won’t be fit.

I’m not there as a participant per say. While I’m there, my job is to help guide and keep on track. Make sure they get what they need and make sure they have the absolute time of their lives. Handle some behind the scenes things like make sure they post their scores in the right spot ;) Help document moments for them and for the forum. And most of all, help create a culture for the team to make sure we do everything we can to make sure this event comes back again for the next group!
That makes sense!

Yes fit for irons at 2021 Titleist Experience.
Fit for putter many years ago.

I learned a lot from my fitting. While waiting for the new clubs to arrive I modified my old clubs to the new fitting lengths and swing weight and found that helped significantly. The new clubs were even better.
I haven't taken lessons, but my swing is very consistent, so it only takes a few swings to see if a club is any good for me.
I've since added a couple more clubs to the bag with the knowledge I've gained over the season.

Last edited:
Yes, a couple times.

Yes. Driver twice and irons with Scott Felix in Collierville, TN. I had a putter fitting at CC.

I was very pleased with Scott and will see him again this spring for my Cobra MC fitting. I think I’ve a pretty good idea what my driver and iron specs should be. I’m really curious to see how the fairways/hybrids part of the bag plays and what specs the wedges are.

I was fitted by a combo fitter, builder, swing instructor. (RIP) At one point, every club in my bag was fitted to me.

Every 6-8 months, he would check my specs, as my instruction was continuous over an 8 year period.

This was done quite a while ago. These days I go to Golf Galaxy and get a check up. Fortunately for me, except for my swing speed, my specs have not changed that much over the years.

Getting fit for clubs is one of the better things a golfer can do to enhance their golf game.

I’d love to see all the before’s and after’s. Whatcha went in with, whatcha came out with, and whatcha gained.

I've been fit a few times, once by a PGA Tour fitter. It's worth it if you've never done it....But once you've done you tend to know what fits you and you may not get as much from it.

When i was fit by the PGA tour dude....i was fit into the same iron and wood shafts i was already using.

This wasn't his fault, i had just already been fit and knew what worked for me

Why was that?
If you were to go to Mizuno’s website in 2016-17, they showed what a fitting by an authorized Mizuno would be like - as in all the steps. It wasn’t even close to that. I mean, the fitter had the blue Mizuno box and the Authorized Mizuno Fitter sign, but all he did was have me hit the lie board and take a bunch of swings with a 6i on the simulator before selling me the set on the stock shafts.

A couple years later I bought a Titleist driver from the same place and was “fitted” with a shaft I later learned should never have been sold to me. It took me a few more experiences to finally realize that whatever skills they had at helping people get fit, they weren't wasting it on me. A lot of this was on me for not being more assertive and for continuing to go back there. Not being a very good golfer probably didn't help.

The shame of it is, this isn't something I was ever going to be able to do every couple of years. It would have been nice to have left with a favorable impression.

The third fitting was different… much better. This guy was about 2 hours away, had a shop behind his house, and I felt like he was the real deal. I went in just to confirm my irons, driver and shafts were a good fit. That fitter told me the diver shaft was far too light for my swing speed and when he measured the lofts of the Mizunos told me they all needed to be adjusted. He did have me hit a few 6i club head and shaft combos where I learned there is a measurable difference. I wish I had gone to him in originally. He struck me as the type who would rather lose the business than allow a customer to make a poor choice.

The good that came from all of this was the motivation it provided to learn how to build my own clubs, and the knowledge to stay away from the OEM brands. While I don't pretend to be any good or knowledgeable at building or fitting, that first local fitter set the bar pretty low.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. Moral of the story... find a good fitter and you'll be fine, IMO.

I’d love to see all the before’s and after’s. Whatcha went in with, whatcha came out with, and whatcha gained.
Irons: I went in with a set of Adams A4s and came out with a set of Mizuno JPX 850's. The Mizunos were an improvement.

Driver: Went in with an Adams Speedline driver, came out with a Titleist 915 (D2, I believe). Played better with the Adams driver until I replaced the shaft on the Titleist.

If you were to go to Mizuno’s website in 2016-17, they showed what a fitting by an authorized Mizuno would be like - as in all the steps. It wasn’t even close to that. I mean, the fitter had the blue Mizuno box and the Authorized Mizuno Fitter sign, but all he did was have me hit the lie board and take a bunch of swings with a 6i on the simulator before selling me the set on the stock shafts.

A couple years later I bought a Titleist driver from the same place and was “fitted” with a shaft I later learned should never have been sold to me. It took me a few more experiences to finally realize that whatever skills they had at helping people get fit, they weren't wasting it on me. A lot of this was on me for not being more assertive and for continuing to go back there. Not being a very good golfer probably didn't help.

The shame of it is, this isn't something I was ever going to be able to do every couple of years. It would have been nice to have left with a favorable impression.

The third fitting was different… much better. This guy was about 2 hours away, had a shop behind his house, and I felt like he was the real deal. I went in just to confirm my irons, driver and shafts were a good fit. That fitter told me the diver shaft was far too light for my swing speed and when he measured the lofts of the Mizunos told me they all needed to be adjusted. He did have me hit a few 6i club head and shaft combos where I learned there is a measurable difference. I wish I had gone to him in originally. He struck me as the type who would rather lose the business than allow a customer to make a poor choice.

The good that came from all of this was the motivation it provided to learn how to build my own clubs, and the knowledge to stay away from the OEM brands. While I don't pretend to be any good or knowledgeable at building or fitting, that first local fitter set the bar pretty low.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. Moral of the story... find a good fitter and you'll be fine, IMO.

Irons: I went in with a set of Adams A4s and came out with a set of Mizuno JPX 850's. The Mizunos were an improvement.

Driver: Went in with an Adams Speedline driver, came out with a Titleist 915 (D2, I believe). Played better with the Adams driver until I replaced the shaft on the Titleist.
No thank you for all that info. Not long winded at all!

Back