Have you ever bought golf items because of a brand ambassador?

Have you ever bought golf related items because of a brand ambassador?

• Yes

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 73.4%

• Total voters
Appreciate the responses, keep them coming.

No. My purchase decisions are performance based. I never understood people purchasing products just because some celebrity uses or endorses it.

I don’t think so. I got a bit of an eye roll from Mrs. G about a certain putter cover brand ambassador, but I just really like pink 😁.

Many times from THP Experience brand ambassadors (THP’ers)

No, not once because of a paid brand ambassador. I’ve purchased because of reviews here, and gave one length irons a shot because of @JB and his success with them, but I view that as more of a “golf ambassador” situation not directly tied to any one brand.

Not so much paid endorsers but I’ve listened to those who have loyalty and passion to brands to have so much faith and trust in from their own experiences with brands. As far as companies and paying brand ambassadors it has to work as companies continue to do so for ROI’s

Oh yeah. I know some and we're always talking gear. What's good and why and who for.

No, if by brand ambassadors you mean players like those on the PGA Tour. That would be stupid in most cases. My swing and theirs have very little in common.

I am reminded of a current ad for a Tour Edge putter. It features about 5 professional golfers from the Champions Tour telling you they never play without their Wingman (the name of the putter they are pitching). Each player is holding the Wingman putter, which is a standard length mallot style model...including Bernhard Langer. Bernhard Langer doesn't play a standard length putter--much less the Wingman. In fact, he has had an Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Long putter in his bag for over 20 years. The advertising group that thought this was a good idea are idiots!

If you’re meaning a paid ambassador who is remunerated for being an ‘influencer’ whilst grinning inanely on social media while holding a product that they would never use, then absolutely no I haven’t. But, if by ambassador you mean someone that genuinely uses the product and stands by it then absolutely I have. This forum is full of them, and I will take any one of their recommendations and views over an advert.

Thinking about this more I'm so much more likely to buy a golf related item if there are 'brand ambassadors' so to speak here on THP singing it's praises.

Good example of this is ShotScope. Due to the THP connection, Jen/Gavin being active here, the experience, and the feedback from THP members I pulled the trigger. I haven't regretted it a single bit. ShotScope has changed my game and the way I look at improvement.

I can't imagine a worse reason to buy a golf item than someone pitching those products. That said, what non-sponsored folks say about the customer service of a manufacturer has value and is different than listening to someone getting paid to say good things. Too much marketing and sponsorship might be a reason I'd stay away from certain companies.

I’d imagine the paychecks the ambassadors are getting must be worth something or else they wouldn’t be getting them. I rarely, if ever, buy anything new and try to avoid the BS. If something ends up with a decent track record I’ll give it a whirl. But even then you’ve got your internet junkies that blow $600 on something like a fishing reel and thump their chests that everything else is crap and you’ll fail without it. Mmmm, OK.

It’s more fun for me to see what I can get away with. 80% return on 20% investment.

Tough question and a good one. We think of brand ambassadors as popular or famous faces for product promotion when your buddy, who’s been putting lights out with a Ping putter, could very well influence your decisions as an indirect brand promoter. I have tested some equipment in the past due to popular player use…. Watson and the Ram brand putters, Titlelist balls-well, because most of the tour used them… but I generally play what suits my eye and feels good, not what others promote.

I'm going to say no on this one. Keep in mind that for this post, I'm mainly speaking about social media influencers doing an ad for a product. For products I've never seen before, they might make me aware that the product exists, but that is about the most positive influence it has on me. More often than not, me seeing a product in one of those "influencer ads" that we see on Instagram and Facebook is a complete turn off to me. I'm influenced my many other types of things including THP reviews, YouTube reviews, etc., but I mainly just try to go off of what performs well and I like the look of.

It is interesting.. My girlfriend prefers to buy things from people influencers. I've seen her make many purchases based on these types of influencer ads. She's bought a wallet, hats.. heck, she bought me the shirt I'm wearing right now based on an influencer (which strangely I do not have a problem with, don't ask me why because I do not know :LOL:). So I know that some people are influenced by these types of things, but I don't think I fall into the category.

I bought my girlfriend in HS some Calvin Kleins because of Brooke Shields. So I'm guilty.:cool:

I don’t think so. If I were inclined to do so, it would probably be for a lower priced item that carried little impact to my game (like an accessory)

I voted no and they actually have the reverse impact on me. The "influencer" **** really turns me off and pushes me the other way. An ambassador getting paid or given the product for review could get me to look into it.

I'm an odd fit but will look at certain things if it seems like it might work for me. Something can earn the spot in the bag if it is an improvement to whats already there. Do I buy it based off an ambassador...nope.

I feel like we've all bought something based on an ambassador Wethersfield consciously or not. There's a reason companies spend millions on endorsement deals

Closest i've come is purchasing a lock for my car trailer based on LockPickingLawyer's recommendation but he isn't an ambassador that I know of. I also never buy MasterLock anymore either LOL

I feel like we've all bought something based on an ambassador Wethersfield consciously or not. There's a reason companies spend millions on endorsement deals
As someone who spent his career as a corporate executive and business growth consultant I can say without reservation that you WAY OVER ESTIMATE the competence and quality of decision making that actually exists in companies. One of the biggest reasons companies actually pour so much money into brand ambassadors is they see other companies doing it and assume they know what they are doing.

Back