Have you ever 'lost' your swing?

I only lose my swing on days that end in 'Y'.

All kidding aside, yea I do all the time. When I lose my swing, I turn my focus to the fact that I'm not stuck in some office or simply enjoy the fact that with health scares I'm actually able to get out and play. Even if it's bad play, it's better than MANY other alternatives.

While I had a great time in Tahoe, my game was complete trash and I truly feel like I lost my swing. As some know, I've been working on my swing with an online coach for over a year now and to date I've made a lot of progress. But the current issue we've been looking at has proven to be more stubborn than the others and I think my pursuit of the change actually hurt my game. A few months back I was comfortable with my swing (flaws and all) and was making pretty consistent contact with all my clubs. That all went the window last weekend and I was battling the shanks in a bad way. Once that started it was a wrap and it was a grind the rest of the time. I'm posting this because I'm curious what others have done when issues like this arise. Do you fall back on old habits? Keep working on the new technique? Look for quick fixes? I was pretty discouraged, but in hindsight I'm hopeful what happened was rock bottom. I'm interested to hear how others would approach this situation!
Yes, absolutely. I tried to grind through the swing changes for maybe a season and a half. It wasn't all bad - I definitely had some good rounds too. But eventually I reached a point no return and gave up on the swing changes. I put the sticks away for a while then came back and started working with someone else.

Have I ever lost my swing..... ABSOLUTELY! Sometimes out of nowhere I just shank it. Things will be going well for me and one pops up just to bring me back down to earth. Its hard not to let it get in your head and affect your game, but just have to remember that its just golf and to try and enjoy it as much as possible. Bad golf is better than no golf!

Yes indeed. Im currently battling it now. I go through spouts where I feel zero confidence over the ball. I feel its more mental than anything and I've taken a break away from playing and practicing a few times in order to refresh myself.

Golf is hard

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wanted to stay away from this thread because I try and stay positive when it comes to golf haha, and I've told this story a few times since it's still fresh in my mind.

But I have definitely lost the swing. I hate bringing it up but July 4th was my meltdown, 98 and shanks. Drives barely going 200, and who knows where they were going, topping fairway woods, shanking hybrids, changing my grip midround, zero fun at all, it sucked.

Took 2 full weeks off. No range, no playing, just got away. Met with my coach the day before I had a round to get straightened out and that weekend I went to shoot 91 and 81, much better. Still had some bad swings, but that's inevitable in golf.

Saw him for my last lesson before Orlando and started from scratch for the hour we had. Chipping, pitching, half swings, 3/4 swings, full swings. Since then things have been ok.

Now last week I shot a disappointing 94 but it was nowhere near the 98. Besides the obvious 4 shot differential, I wasn't mad with my swing and had maybe 1 shank. I just got beat up by a tougher course, I'll take that on the chin all day, so to speak.

I've seen some scores on TheGrint from you shooting 77 and some low 80s rounds, good percentage of FIRs and GIRs during those rounds. You know you can put up low scores, you have, just shake off the bad rounds as best as you can, however you need to.

I'm not sure I've found mine again since returning to golf. I've improved a lot since 2016 but I really want to get locked in on a swing that is repeatable and will last as I get older.

Lost? My swing has spent most of its life on the back of a milk carton. I thought I had finally figured it out but my round last weekend assured me that this game can be cruel to my brain and to my soul.

Yes this year. The break over the winter really did a number on me. I filled the time with a lot of videos, inside swing and some inside chipping and putting. This winter I’ll put some money into trips and heated swing bays etc. anyway. So this year just absolutely terrible the first part of the year. Like everything was a bad shot. Not like bad shot form a experienced standpoint but like bad shots for a beginner. I thought, maybe I needed my clubs regripped. I got them regripped, which actually was great because I love the grips, but didn’t help. Finally went to two lessons with a pro I went to Hs with. We changed my grip, showed me video of just where I was going wrong, changed my ball position and swing path. Made things worse. Now I was topping everything and thought about just giving up. The one thing though, is the new grip made my wedge game much better. So I changed the ball position back to where I’m used to it, kept the positioning tips and incorporated them into a Pre-shot routine. Changed the swing path to more middle then before and I’m striking the ball really well now. Back to playing 18-72 holes a week.

Your action in your videos looks good. I think you need to build a swing that last but I also think you should have a go to shot that stands up when the other falls flat. You have to find that shot and work on it.

Also when you fall flat you have to be able to go through your ‘back to basic’ steps. Grip, stance, posture, tempo, alignment. If there is still an issue then it’s easier to fix.

That's a good point about a 'go to' shot. Having something reliable to fall back on would certainly help when things start getting sketchy.

Have I lost my swing? Oh yes. The worst thing about the s@@#s is once they creep in its all you can think about. This season it has happened more than I care to admit. Heck I hoseled one off the tee on a par 3 during the alt shot portion of the Morgan Cup this year out of nowhere. Talk about a WTF moment, I was playing pretty damn well too till that happened. Luckily it was only the one time but each and every time it happens you can't help but think about it. Golf is a mental game maybe even more so than physical and having a bunch of crap on the brain doesn't translate well to golf. As a single digit for me its more embarrassing than anything. You try to make adjustments on the fly but nothing seems to work. I have had rounds with zero issues and I have had it happen several times mid round. Once it happens its difficult to not think its going to happen again. I feel like I'm making a good swing but there it goes, hard right and no one is safe.

I have yet to seek professional help but have watched tons of videos and had one person look at my swing on video. I have learned what causes it and why. Sometimes I can correct it easily sometimes I cannot but learning about my swing has helped identify what to fix. For me it is a combination of a balance and swing path issue. Sometimes I lose my balance causing me to fall forward onto my toes and then try and save it by losing my spine angle and pulling my arms closer to my body which ends up being an OTT move that cuts across the ball from out to in. Golf is a game of inches and why its one of the hardest games to play in my opinion.

At one point, I'd address a shot and my inner voice would be going crazy. I was in my own head for sure and it did not help matters at all. Finding out why it's happening would definitely help, and learning how to self correct is something I'm constantly trying to do. Certainly challenging when going through a swing change, though! And that's a good point about balance, too. During my fitting Joe pointed out that my weight was too far on my toes, which makes it tough to get a swing on plane!

Wanted to stay away from this thread because I try and stay positive when it comes to golf haha, and I've told this story a few times since it's still fresh in my mind.

But I have definitely lost the swing. I hate bringing it up but July 4th was my meltdown, 98 and shanks. Drives barely going 200, and who knows where they were going, topping fairway woods, shanking hybrids, changing my grip midround, zero fun at all, it sucked.

Took 2 full weeks off. No range, no playing, just got away. Met with my coach the day before I had a round to get straightened out and that weekend I went to shoot 91 and 81, much better. Still had some bad swings, but that's inevitable in golf.

Saw him for my last lesson before Orlando and started from scratch for the hour we had. Chipping, pitching, half swings, 3/4 swings, full swings. Since then things have been ok.

Now last week I shot a disappointing 94 but it was nowhere near the 98. Besides the obvious 4 shot differential, I wasn't mad with my swing and had maybe 1 shank. I just got beat up by a tougher course, I'll take that on the chin all day, so to speak.

I've seen some scores on TheGrint from you shooting 77 and some low 80s rounds, good percentage of FIRs and GIRs during those rounds. You know you can put up low scores, you have, just shake off the bad rounds as best as you can, however you need to.

Ironically enough, getting these clubs built is going to result in me playing less golf since Joe is on vacation most of September and once he gets back it'll take at least 3 weeks for him to finish my build. So I'll only be hitting the range with whichever loaner or cheapo iron set I end up with. So perhaps the semi break will help me out once I have a full set in my bag again. And hopefully when that happens I'll get back to those low 80s rounds with movement towards more 70s rounds!

One thing is for sure, this game is capable of driving you mad at times!!!

My swing is shaky right now. Results haven't been very awful but my swing just feels a bit foreign to me. I'm battling through it as best I can.

The last time I totally lost my swing was on a golf trip to Myrtle years ago. What worked best for me was to disconnect without actually stopping play nor giving up. It was before the prevalence of cellphone cameras and I happened to carry a cheap camera in my bag.

During the shot, I'd concentrate and try to execute to the best of my ability. But immediately after, instantaneously I'd disconnect from golf and I'd grab my camera and lose myself within a shot of another kind.

Soon, in my mind, having to take a golf shot began to interfere with my alternative focus. With my concentration elsewhere, good golf shots just suddenly happened without thought and certainly without any hint of my former anxiety.

Not recommending my actual course of action as back then because it would be unlikely that I'd attempt similar now. But I'm a big believer in finding a way to disconnect or emotionally divest yourself from the moment when things go bad.

That doesn't mean to give up, it just means to channel energy elsewhere. A mental form of a self initiated shell game.

Yes, at my driving range. The mats are a 3 piece construction - base, mat, and, a softer portion. I was using the softer portion to avoid hurting my hands and wrist, but, this caused me to lose the bottom of the swing, and, I would(hopefully fixed) hosel the ball, especially, with the short irons. Since, I have started hitting off of the firmer portion of the mat, the shanks are starting to disappear. It will take me a few rounds before, I will lose that fear of shanking the ball, but, the last few range sessions were promising. Good luck

Today, as luck would have it. I hit 1/2 a large bucket and topped 99.9% of them with a wedge and a PW in hand. Frustrating as hell!

We then went and played the par 3 course that my son had his league on and I proceeded to top it for 85% of the shots off the tee. Completely baffled and all I can think is that my timing was way out of whack!!

Will hit the range again later this week and pray for it to be a fluke.

Seems like I lose my swing once every six months or so. Takes a month to recover... ie, shut the ol' brain off, hit some balls, find some confidence again. It's nearly always some dumb setup or posture thing I've gotten lazy on.

Shot a 34 (-2) on 9 holes a couple weeks ago. Next trip out, I proceed to complete lose my swing. I honestly don't think I would've broken 100 if I tried to play. Spent most of the last 10 days in front of a mirror, and digging in the dirt on the range. Played Sunday and managed a sloppy +10. Came back Monday and put together a solid 73 (+1). Found the right swing keys for me and really heading in a positive direction again. I used this breakdown and buildup to address me getting stuck constantly off the tee and fighting a 2 way miss.

Totally lost my driver swing this weekend. I was killing on the range and by the time we got to the 1st driver hole the swing had packed up and headed home. I did see a glimpse of it on 18 though. The good think was that I had my best iron striking round I think I have ever had. Why can't it all come together just one?!?!?

Ugh it happened again yesterday. Played 8 holes well then hit one off the hosel. Swing was gone for the next 5 holes, couldn't even hit driver. Worst round of the year. There is a hitch in my swing somewhere that creeps in mid round and it all goes to crap. Extremely frustating

Back