Have you ever 'lost' your swing?

I lose it all the time. I get good work in my lessons and then when I practice it sometimes just gets away from me. I had a bad day on the course or at the range and I go back and rethink if what I'm doing and what I've been taught to try and get it back.

I think you headed to Tahoe with the idea that you were going to play some solid golf. Maybe get some much deserved kudos for the progress you made. You pressed a little and it feel apart. It happens to the best of us.

Remember the Players in 2014 when TW had that horrid two way miss. All after stripping it on the range. Or RORS collapse at the Masters after crushing it for the entire week.

It happen to all of us. Lick your wounds and get back up on the pony.

As inconsistent as I am, I am beginning to think I never had a swing to lose.

Yes sir. Lost it 10 weeks ago and have played atrocious golf gradually since then ?(its gotten worse and worse). While the Mrs thinks time off will help im trying to work through it.

Yep. Yesterday's round bounced around from swinging and hitting the ball great to looking like I had no clue what I was doing. Had 5 birdies and 7 bogeys. The bogeys were all very ugly from tee to green. Not a remotely good shot hit on any of those 7 holes. Typically have peaks and valleys during a round because I am an amateur golf with a non-perfect swing, but the swings in ball striking during that round were very drastic.

So many times I can’t even remember them all.

About twice a year. I'll be on the range and all of a sudden I'll start topping everything. Just will not be able to hit a shot. When it's during a normal warm up that this goes down, it means I might walk off the course after nine holes, because I can't hit the ball, or my only recourse to find the face is a massive slice.

I can always find a massive slice. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I get like that every once in awhile. I will be hot and then all of a sudden out of nowhere I will just go to crap with my entire bag and it gets in my head and hard to get out. I start to feel like any progression my game has made just was wasted.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It happens to me once or twice a year. Understanding the miss and knowing how to get it in check is a necessity. Mine are the quackers. They creep in every now and then but now I know how to head them off before they ruin my round.
Know your miss, know the fix.

Ask anyone at the gauntlet two years ago.

The answer is yes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I can attest that. Felt so bad for you that weekend...

I recently got a new set of irons that have quite wide soles. Suddenly I started shanking about every 5th shot, was driving me loco. My instructor corrected my quirk, but I have a similar issue chipping with the wedge from that set, (XXIO prime irons), have to make sure to square the face or the person to my right is in mortal danger. Complicated game when it's not being simple.

Yes! This summer mine left on vacation and I thought I'd never see it again. It's starting to visit me again.. Just in time for the kid to arrive and eat every minute of available time. So..i hope he likes golf at an early age.. LoL

Only happens to me in pressure situations. Had them in my first two playing ability tests...

Fun fact: I took 10s in all three i took

Sent from HTX

Yup club championship said eff it and just went with the flow - shelved the clubs for two weeks and was back in the flow of it.

In round fixes went back to my basics but it wasn’t there - issue was between the ears for sure

Yes. Several times per round.

3/4 of this season, my swing was just gone. Eventually it started to come back. The hardest part was thinking "oh its just a bad round, next one will be better"..... and then thinking that for 20 rounds.

Definitely, I lose my swing at least once a month. I have had it happen a few times so bad that it feels like I have never swung a golf club before.

just a couple of weeks ago: cause is just speculation, but I bought new to me irons, they hit way farther than I was used to and in my human frailty I wanted to hit them farther so I started overswinging compounding the problem. And, I was in crunch time because I has headed to an expense paid golf outing for the company. I abandoned all hope and just made sure of making contact and did "fair" at the tournament.

Came home, took a few days off and dedicated to a controlled full swing with moderate emphasize on power. Things are shaping up, I can almost hit my target now and i'm just about 10 yards longer than my old irons instead of 2 to 2 1/2 clubs longer with a pull-hook.

I think you headed to Tahoe with the idea that you were going to play some solid golf. Maybe get some much deserved kudos for the progress you made. You pressed a little and it feel apart. It happens to the best of us.

Remember the Players in 2014 when TW had that horrid two way miss. All after stripping it on the range. Or RORS collapse at the Masters after crushing it for the entire week.

It happen to all of us. Lick your wounds and get back up on the pony.

I do agree with a lot of that and the only exception is that I had already been playing some mediocre golf prior to the gathering so my mindset was more 'hopefully this doesn't turn into a sh!tshow'. Low and behold, it did. I'm heading to the range now to start getting things on track and I'm confident I'll do just that along with kicking that OTT move to the curb.

In a way it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who has gone through a slump like this, and part of my goal is to get better at self correcting. I've always liked being coached in the stuff I enjoy doing (golf, fitness/nutrition) but for golf online coaching can be tough. And by that I mean sometimes I wonder if my issue would be more easily addressed in person. I've already invested a good bit of money for my current coaching and will be working with this particular pro until the end of next year. I'm going to keep working hard and hope to see a positive ROI when it's all said and done. Whether that comes in the form of a more consistent swing or lower scores remains to be seen, but I'd like to think if I achieve the former the latter will happen eventually.

Have you ever 'lost' your swing?

Last time I had a real bad bout of the shanks, I snapped my driver in half. Certainly took my mind off the shanks.
I know you’ve been working with this guy online for a while, but I’ve always been curious.... how do you know you are actually doing what he wants you to do?

#FiberLaunch

Last time I had a real bad bout of the shanks, I snapped my driver in half. Certainly took my mind off the shanks.
I know you’ve been working with this guy online for a while, but I’ve always been curious.... how do you know you are actually doing what he wants you to do?

#FiberLaunch

We talk/text regularly but we primarily use an app/site called CoachNow. I can upload videos, notes, pics, etc on what looks really similar to a Facebook timeline. Then he can break down the videos and whatnot and upload videos of his own explaining what drills or moves he wants me to work on.

I do agree with a lot of that and the only exception is that I had already been playing some mediocre golf prior to the gathering so my mindset was more 'hopefully this doesn't turn into a sh!tshow'. Low and behold, it did. I'm heading to the range now to start getting things on track and I'm confident I'll do just that along with kicking that OTT move to the curb.

In a way it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who has gone through a slump like this, and part of my goal is to get better at self correcting. I've always liked being coached in the stuff I enjoy doing (golf, fitness/nutrition) but for golf online coaching can be tough. And by that I mean sometimes I wonder if my issue would be more easily addressed in person. I've already invested a good bit of money for my current coaching and will be working with this particular pro until the end of next year. I'm going to keep working hard and hope to see a positive ROI when it's all said and done. Whether that comes in the form of a more consistent swing or lower scores remains to be seen, but I'd like to think if I achieve the former the latter will happen eventually.

Your action in your videos looks good. I think you need to build a swing that last but I also think you should have a go to shot that stands up when the other falls flat. You have to find that shot and work on it.

Also when you fall flat you have to be able to go through your ‘back to basic’ steps. Grip, stance, posture, tempo, alignment. If there is still an issue then it’s easier to fix.

Oh hell yes! It happens to ya all and it happened to me early this Spring after I had a few excellent rounds and had shot a PB on 9 holes of a -1/35. I caught a case of the stone cold effing sh*nks...felt like rounds would never end and my iron hosels were really getting a workout. I ended up taking a 3 or 4 week mental health break and they were gone, at that point it was more knocking the rust off.

While I had a great time in Tahoe, my game was complete trash and I truly feel like I lost my swing. As some know, I've been working on my swing with an online coach for over a year now and to date I've made a lot of progress. But the current issue we've been looking at has proven to be more stubborn than the others and I think my pursuit of the change actually hurt my game. A few months back I was comfortable with my swing (flaws and all) and was making pretty consistent contact with all my clubs. That all went the window last weekend and I was battling the shanks in a bad way. Once that started it was a wrap and it was a grind the rest of the time. I'm posting this because I'm curious what others have done when issues like this arise. Do you fall back on old habits? Keep working on the new technique? Look for quick fixes? I was pretty discouraged, but in hindsight I'm hopeful what happened was rock bottom. I'm interested to hear how others would approach this situation!

Have I lost my swing? Oh yes. The worst thing about the s@@#s is once they creep in its all you can think about. This season it has happened more than I care to admit. Heck I hoseled one off the tee on a par 3 during the alt shot portion of the Morgan Cup this year out of nowhere. Talk about a WTF moment, I was playing pretty damn well too till that happened. Luckily it was only the one time but each and every time it happens you can't help but think about it. Golf is a mental game maybe even more so than physical and having a bunch of crap on the brain doesn't translate well to golf. As a single digit for me its more embarrassing than anything. You try to make adjustments on the fly but nothing seems to work. I have had rounds with zero issues and I have had it happen several times mid round. Once it happens its difficult to not think its going to happen again. I feel like I'm making a good swing but there it goes, hard right and no one is safe.

I have yet to seek professional help but have watched tons of videos and had one person look at my swing on video. I have learned what causes it and why. Sometimes I can correct it easily sometimes I cannot but learning about my swing has helped identify what to fix. For me it is a combination of a balance and swing path issue. Sometimes I lose my balance causing me to fall forward onto my toes and then try and save it by losing my spine angle and pulling my arms closer to my body which ends up being an OTT move that cuts across the ball from out to in. Golf is a game of inches and why its one of the hardest games to play in my opinion.

My last two rounds have been terrible. It started on the day at Windham CC very humid and pouring rain 1/2 the time. Just lost the swing. It continued through my last round at Campbell's an easier course that I typically shoot well at. It was a nice day at Campbell's so weather was not an issue, only driving the ball, a couple of shanks and God awful putting. Hopefully after a couple of practice sessions this week it will be better for Monday.

And yes therfe have been many times in the past when I said I am done, now that I am older just know to try and enjoy and figure it out, hopefully, please!!

Back