Have you played under Tournament Pressure?

Have you played under Tournament Pressure?

• Yes I have

Votes: 77 62.6%
  • No I have not

Votes: 46 37.4%

• Total voters
Ron -- It really is a good article and it helps a golfer understand why he/she feels a certain way under pressure. I love the statement one of the pros commented about he had rather swing aggressive than passive (guiding the ball) under pressure. He mentioned that he had rather miss it going for it than out of fear trying to guide the ball. He would feel better about himself as if you are going to miss a fairway, do it with conviction nor fear.

I think this is definitely an issue I see with people who lack tournament experience. So many people over think the game and feel like they have to develop a game plan when playing a tournament. They completely lose sight of the fact that you are still just playing golf. You really have to stick to your guns, if you normally play an aggressive game you have to keep that going in a tournament. Personally, nothing helps my game more than adrenaline and pressure, I thrive on it and it always elevates my game. I have a tendency to shoot my best scores in tournaments.

Unfortunately, its difficult for me to find many local non-handicap individual stoke play tournaments and since I'm currently working on regaining my amateur status I still can't compete in quite a few state and regional events.

Winning, especially under pressure, is the best feeling you can have in golf. The most I won a tournament by was eight shots, I finished at -4 for two days and no other player finished under par. That experience doesn't even come close to a tournament I won by eagling the last hole to win by a shot. When your playing competitor knocks it on the green in two shots on a reachable par five and you are standing in the fairway knowing you have to eagle to win outright gives you a rush that is difficult to explain. Especially when you execute the shots needed to win. While it isn't the first time I won a tournament on the last hole it was definitely the most memorable and having my father and a few others around to witness the eagle putt fall made it probably the highlight of my competitive golf career.

My best advice for anyone struggling to deal with pressure is just let it go. Tee it up and play golf like you have so many times before. You are playing against the golf course first and foremost. Be aggressive. If you are between clubs, hit the lesser club and swing away. If you normally try to cut the corner in your casual rounds, cut the corner in your tournament rounds. Put up a number and make someone beat it.

I tried it for the last tournament, the whole 9 yards. My head was in a much better place. Didn't pay off on day 1 but day 2 felt really good in all ways. I especially like the Shot Journal.

OK, this stuff is working.

Something kinda funny that jumps out at me in my stats in my three rounds since I started using Rotella's plan: no three-putts. 54 holes without a three-putt. All from visualizing better, being more positive, focused and accepting.

Rotella's plan is the ticket. I highly recommend it for all Morgan Cup golfers and Club Championship golfers for this year!

Back