Have you played under Tournament Pressure?

Have you played under Tournament Pressure?

• Yes I have

Votes: 77 62.6%
  • No I have not

Votes: 46 37.4%

• Total voters
Over the past two years, I have learned to enjoy it.

I've been thinking about this, and i've already imput my 2 cents, but i'd like to imput 2 more. For me, the experience of playing competitively in high school (again i do use that term loosely understanding that playing for my hs team had more to do with circumstance than skill, but it was still wiaa sanctioned golf, tournament golf no matter how terrible my game was; anyway for me the experience taught me more about playing under various conditions than under pressure.) Don't get me wrong, you learn about the experience of pressure, which helps; but i think it helped me handle pressure only in that i got that experience with pressure so when i got older and learned different mental theories on how to handle pressure, i had the first hand experience to guide my thought process (i remember x, so i can do y to help me handle it, and that will make z easier. if that makes sense)

One thing tournament golfers learn to do that regular weekend joe's don't have to, is learning how to play in any type of weather. Certainly we have plenty of diehard's who will play regardless, if there's not lightning and the ground ain't frozen, you'll play. A vast majority of the golf world does not play like that, and in tournament golf you have to play in different weather. With Wisconsin in March and April the weather is about as consistant as a teenager, one day it's 70 and sunny, next day it's 20 mph winds, the next day it's snowing, you get used to practicing and playing in matches in every type of weather imaginable.

I think it helps me to this day, if it starts raining a little bit out there, some guys get rattled and want to hide in the cart; me i conjure up images or making the turn my senoir year at our hosted invite when it started raining and my group played in a torrential downpour the entire back nine. standing water and puddles were a regularity by hole 13 and we slogged through because we were the last group, the lowest seeds so our scores didn't matter as much as finishing did.
On windy days i think of junior year meet at the course in the mississippi river valley with the winds whipping across the river from the other side of the valley in minnesota at 30 mph that felt like they bounced off the walls of the valley on ourside and came back right back at us or the first 3 meets senior year where the warmest we played in was 35 degrees. It makes playing in weather a lot easier because you have the mental experience of being in it and handling it, as well as the physical experience of knowing how to hit shots in that crap.

I played on the golf channel am tour and had 3 wins. The first was most nerve racking because the Tour manager told me that I should win "this" event because it was my home course. Gold Mountain Olympic Course where they held the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championships in 2006. I did win and even beat the two flights ahead of me. Took alot of skins that day as well. Second tournament was at another local track where you have to hit the fairway. That win was cool cause my buddy came up from California and caddied for me, definitely helped cause that was a tough track. The third win was my favoritet! It was at Washington National which is a amazing course and home of the UW Huskies. My wife was with me for this one. The most nerve racking thing was on the first tee and the Tour Manager anounced "next on the tee with two tour championships this season, Mr. Cook." Then I had to get up there and make good contact. All was well and I won and qualified for the tour championship. I just love tournament play, there's something thrilling about it!

Scrambles and work leagues only. Never a stroke play single event or anything that wasn't mostly for fun. I'd like to, though. I enjoy competition.

I've played in many amateur tournaments and had nerve issues in my first few, but after that, it never really bothered me. I can't deal with an audience very well though. Most tournaments I play in doesn't have them. I played in one last year and they had a Shootout the day before the tournament started. When I teed off on the first hole, I had a couple hundred people watching. I could barely tee the ball up from shaking. Once I got it teed up I hurried and hit it just to get it over with. Luckily it went right down the middle.

There have been some really good posts in this thread! I would think this info would be valuable to anyone considering entering the Morgan Cup Match Play Event :thumb:

I started playing in a few tournaments in the local golf assocation (Golf Assoc of Phila). One of the best events run by the association is the team matches, where you team up with 12 guys from your club and play a different club each week for 3 weeks to kick off the golf season (clubs can have more than one team, and there are 300+ teams participating). Each foursome has a singles match and a better ball match, and in addition to the nassau points (3) there are 1/4 bonus points for each hole won. So getting blown out could really cost the team. I grew up playing other sports, and thought I could make the transition to competitive golf after hanging up my baseball cleats. I have had great success in club events and scrambles, but I struggled mightly in dealing with the pressure of team matches and trusting my swing the first few years. Last year was the first year where I could control my nerves down and played pretty well, winning all of my singles and team matches.

I have won quite a few scrambles and did well in some better ball events, but the pressure is very different when playing for your club in these matches with the thought of letting others down.

Highly recommended. It'll only make you better.

I would really like too. Hopefully I'm picked for the morgan cup...

Good stuff Pete and thanks so much for sharing. Sounds in line with the book "Your 15th Club" by Dr. Bob Rotella. Here are some quotes to summarize the book:

<quote>

• Understand that you own your attitude

• Take pride in your confidence, just as you take pride in the strongest part of your game.

• Monitor your thoughts about golf and stop lying to yourself in the negative

• Stop seeking perfection

• Reinforce your memory of good shots either by keeping a journal or replaying them in your mind's eye

• Let go of the memory of your bad shots

• Visualize the things you want to happen

• Write affirmations that stress positive aspects about your attitude toward golf and belief in yourself

• Perceive your golf experiences honestly.

• Be a cheerleader for yourself

• Give the proper priority to your short game. It is essential to your confidence.

</quote>

Since this topic is about tournament pressure, I think it's appropriate to discuss ways to better deal with it. :D

Recently read this book and decided to follow Rotella's "program". Been struggling with my attitude on and around the greens, been underachieving a lot so far this year. I like his ideas, principles and thinking.

It's a great book. I did some things he suggested for a while and it really helped.

I wish you all the best Pete!

I tried it for the last tournament, the whole 9 yards. My head was in a much better place. Didn't pay off on day 1 but day 2 felt really good in all ways. I especially like the Shot Journal.

I tried it for the last tournament, the whole 9 yards. My head was in a much better place. Didn't pay off on day 1 but day 2 felt really good in all ways. I especially like the Shot Journal.

Me too. Focus on the good shots by writing them down. I bet you had a lot of writing to do!

I have played in most every conceivable type of tournament over that last 47 years. Although I have never played in a USGA Amateur or the like I have played in many local tournaments. The toughest for me was club championship. Twice I was in the last group (Championship flight) on Sunday and each time I could not pull it off. Best i ever did was win the Senior flight (gross) and I almost backed into to it to win. The guy I beat actually beat himself and I played a couple of shots better if you can call it better. Never could win in stroke play or match play events as I get to pumped up and do stupid things. Team events I do well in because I have others to pick me up when I make a bad shot/mistake. Far less pressure in that type of event. Funny thing is I use to play baseball and fast pitch softball and never got nervous and I always wanted the ball hit to me for the last out of a game. Very aggressive in team sports and usually a winner but in individual sports like golf and tennis I seem to wilt under pressure. But I love the feeling I get in any tournament at the first tee, first inning of play etc.

Me too. Focus on the good shots by writing them down. I bet you had a lot of writing to do!

Yes, I'm up to a few pages already. It's been frustrating as hell, because I've never hit the ball better in my life but I haven't put together any good scores.

I have played in most every conceivable type of tournament over that last 47 years. Although I have never played in a USGA Amateur or the like I have played in many local tournaments. The toughest for me was club championship. Twice I was in the last group (Championship flight) on Sunday and each time I could not pull it off. Best i ever did was win the Senior flight (gross) and I almost backed into to it to win. The guy I beat actually beat himself and I played a couple of shots better if you can call it better. Never could win in stroke play or match play events as I get to pumped up and do stupid things. Team events I do well in because I have others to pick me up when I make a bad shot/mistake. Far less pressure in that type of event. Funny thing is I use to play baseball and fast pitch softball and never got nervous and I always wanted the ball hit to me for the last out of a game. Very aggressive in team sports and usually a winner but in individual sports like golf and tennis I seem to wilt under pressure. But I love the feeling I get in any tournament at the first tee, first inning of play etc.

It's funny how we can put the pressure on ourselves and then our own nerves usually end of beating us, not the competition. Trying too hard to not make a mistake is fuel for making a mistake. I totally understand what you are talking about when you say team sports are so much easier. You actually want to be the hotdog in basketball etc. You even may "Hog" the ball a bit to much trying to showgun. Golf is a different animal altogether and the only way we can somewhat calm ourselves down is to play in the moment. Is that easy, nope. Is it necessary, absolutely!

I just read the best article about playing under pressure in the July issue of Golf Digest! It's on page 98 . Comfortable being uncomfortable by Jaime Diaz. Excellent read and will help you understand what makes a golfer tick under pressure. I highly recommend anyone who is playing in a club championship, Morgan Cup, etc. to get a copy and read this article. Good stuff and I bet you can see yourself in this article.

I'll be playing in my first tournament this Friday. Company tournament, 4 man best Ball format. Reading through here has given me an idea of what to expect.

Now if my boss would just stop telling us not to bother coming to work Monday if we don't bring home the trophy :sweat:

I have played in quiet a few tournaments with some success and some not so successful efforts. I believe it makes one a better golfer to play in serious competition. I play the club tournaments; the men's championship, the senior championship, and two four ball tournaments per year. We also have a big invitational with lots of golfers from all over, the NGI, it is my favorite though the best I have fared there is second in my flight a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed the GSGA senior tournament that was played in a Stableford format until it was discontinued a few years back. I have played in the GSGA senior four ball a few times as well.

KellyBo and I have our Club Championship this weekend. I am still pondering which division to play in. Senior from gold tees or open from white tees. There are more opportunities to win in the open division as their are 1st, 2nd, & 3rd flights. The Championship division will be set from 8 handicappers and below. We have a +3 playing in that division so good luck to the other guys! Their will be a Club Champion, Ladies Champion, Senior Champion, Handicap Champion and Super Senior Champion. All of those winners get a special parking spot with their name on it. Each flight will have up to three places including pending on number of total field. I have my step son from Vegas whose has been with us for a week. He graduated from a golf academy in Florida and part of his training is golf instruction. He really has helped me a ton this week and we are supposed to go out today for some more work. I have one more lesson with my regular golf instructor and I may see him Thursday or Friday as my stepson will be heading back to Vegas tomorrow. I will be prepared so let's see how I deal with the tournament pressure this year. It's a different animal from casual golf with the buddies.

Read that article last night OG, good read thanks for recommending it.

Read that article last night OG, good read thanks for recommending it.

Ron -- It really is a good article and it helps a golfer understand why he/she feels a certain way under pressure. I love the statement one of the pros commented about he had rather swing aggressive than passive (guiding the ball) under pressure. He mentioned that he had rather miss it going for it than out of fear trying to guide the ball. He would feel better about himself as if you are going to miss a fairway, do it with conviction nor fear.

KellyBo and I have our Club Championship this weekend. I am still pondering which division to play in. Senior from gold tees or open from white tees. There are more opportunities to win in the open division as their are 1st, 2nd, & 3rd flights. The Championship division will be set from 8 handicappers and below. We have a +3 playing in that division so good luck to the other guys! Their will be a Club Champion, Ladies Champion, Senior Champion, Handicap Champion and Super Senior Champion. All of those winners get a special parking spot with their name on it. Each flight will have up to three places including pending on number of total field. I have my step son from Vegas whose has been with us for a week. He graduated from a golf academy in Florida and part of his training is golf instruction. He really has helped me a ton this week and we are supposed to go out today for some more work. I have one more lesson with my regular golf instructor and I may see him Thursday or Friday as my stepson will be heading back to Vegas tomorrow. I will be prepared so let's see how I deal with the tournament pressure this year. It's a different animal from casual golf with the buddies.

Good luck on getting a parking place. Sounds like your preparation is spot-on. I used to tell my players before a game, you are prepared, now relax and have fun.

Good luck on getting a parking place. Sounds like your preparation is spot-on. I used to tell my players before a game, you are prepared, now relax and have fun.

Great advice and the key ingredient in reducing anxiety.

Back