Have You Used Turo Before?

bigbov

2024 THP Fantasy Football Experience w/ Adam Rank
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 18
I am heading to San Antonio next month for the Srixon Experience and was considering getting a car off Turo for the days I am there. This seems to be a less expensive option compared to renting a car at the airport. I have never used them before and was curious if anyone had? Any tips or pointer if so? Any feedback appreciated!

Looks cool. Would love to hear how it goes.

Looks cool. Would love to hear how it goes.
Wife and I are either going to San Diego in January (Farmers) or Phoenix in February (Waste Mgt Open) and I mentioned using Turo. I was told to be a guinea pig next month in San Antonio :ROFLMAO:.

It is great...plenty of options, cheaper, and in some cases easier.

The main thing is to look to see where the exchange happens or the car is, based in the ad. A lot of them will just leave the car in a spot and you pick it up and go. Some will meet you at the airport like an Lyft/Uber, hand the car off and they leave with someone. Drop off similar.

Some less obvious is there may be comment on the last service date. Good to look for something current.

From there - just reviews. Pretty standard.

Turo has been great in my experience. I have used it 3-4 times now with no issues.

I used it once in LA. Picked up and dropped off the car at an airport lot. Super easy, very affordable, fun car. I got the impression the guy I rented from was running it as a business with multiple cars.

I have not.

However, I have a friend that has a Sprinter van that he uses for his dirtbike trips, and he rents it out with Turo. He says it has been quite profitable for him.

I've heard a few bad stories about the vehicle owners trying to say that their was damage to the vehicle or it wasn't left clean and so forth. I would recommend taking photos of the vehicle before and after to show the condition. I'm thinking about using it in January for my bachelor party.

Wife and I are either going to San Diego in January (Farmers) or Phoenix in February (Waste Mgt Open) and I mentioned using Turo. I was told to be a guinea pig next month in San Antonio

Well she will have to join THP so she can come see your review ;)

Turo has been great in my experience. I have used it 3-4 times now with no issues.
I see vehicles parked at a local shopping area with lock boxes attached to them. I'm assuming these are Turo rentals, and that's how you get the key?

I've heard a few bad stories about the vehicle owners trying to say that their was damage to the vehicle or it wasn't left clean and so forth. I would recommend taking photos of the vehicle before and after to show the condition. I'm thinking about using it in January for my bachelor party.

That happens with rental car companies too. This should be standard practice unless in a place that does not care

I see vehicles parked at a local shopping area with lock boxes attached to them. I'm assuming these are Turo rentals, and that's how you get the key?

Any number of ways...some just leave the door unlocked, some have phone codes that auto-unlock, some leave key somewhere to pick up.

Any number of ways...some just leave the door unlocked, some have phone codes that auto-unlock, some leave key somewhere to pick up.
Makes sense.

Yep - That is how a couple of them have been for me - lock boxes at the airport

When I went to Maine, the guy came and met me at the airport and then I took him to his work. LOL. This of course was pre-arranged and agreed to and was fine as it was on the way.
That is kinda weird. At least it wasn’t a surprise.

I used it for the Project X with Mizuno event a couple years ago and it was fantastic. I got a much better deal on the vehicle than I would have renting. The guy dropped the car off to me at the airport, and I dropped the car back at the airport and locked the keys in a box specifically designed for the keys. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for all the responses! I have been looking at ones that have free pickup at airport. Most say they just park it in lot w/ lock box and you pay the parking fee on pickup. Then they pick up the fee on drop off. Glad to hear most people have had success... I am going to book one for next month.

I've used Turo a few times and had good experiences each time. Generally a bit cheaper than rental cars and the pickup has been just as easy. I've gotten the car from the airport each time and they've told me where it is parked and how to get into the car. Turo has you take pics of the exterior and interior of the car before the pickup, and at drop off

Off to the Turo website!

My daughter has used it several times and says it’s good. We looked at using at for a trip and it was definitely cheaper than at the airport. It had lots of different choices for cars.. We ended up not using it because the other couple we were going with found out they had corparate discount through their company which ended bein cheaper that Turo.

Have used it twice. Needed a truck to haul a trailer and at the time. A couple years ago. Truck rentals at the big out fits were stupid expensive. So used Turo. Never met the renters. Picked the trucks up at random spots. Returned to same spot. Interesting. Recently needed a truck again and Enterprise pricing was great. So went that route.

I used Turo when I went to Myrtle beach for the World Am.
It went pretty smooth. I got a Caddy XTS for $28 more than the Camry was going to cost from Enterprise.

Only issue I had was one of the window buttons broke. It still worked fine but the owner wanted me to pay to fix it but I never heard anything from Turo after filling out the report. It was a general maintenance kinda thing. Not damage.

If you do rent I would take photos and a Video of the outside of the car before and when u return it.

The only downside I can see to Turo is You are not dealing with a National rental company and I don't know how getting a replacement car would go mid trip were something to go wrong.

Yep several years ago when it first started being a thing I rented some sort of Lexus convertible in Vegas for a week it was super cheap back the.

Back