High School eSports

Another thing being lost by some with their weird comparisons and such is the fact that these programs will increase INCLUSIVITY, and bring a segment of kids into doing something in an organized setting with an aspect of competition. How is that anything but a win?
It's such a great way to continue diversifying options for kids who have unique skills.

Just because it's not traditional should not mean it isn't viable for schools.

What method is that?! I seriously had to pay attention because I’ve never seen that before! Seems so much more complex, but it could be just about as quick without all the explaining.

It's similar to leaving Miami, FL with a destination of Seattle, WA and going through Los Angeles, CA and NYC on the way. In the end, you get to the same place, but it's confusing as to why anyone would wanna do it that way since it takes way longer and there's so much more chance of making a "wrong turn" when you add unneeded steps.

I'd rather have my child join a programming team, a robotics team or a quiz bowl team before I give them the ok to be on an eSports team.
Focus on something worthwhile for a kid's future over video games!

I just looked up the attendance numbers for some of the larger events.....

Absolutely fat purses at some of these tournaments.

It's crazy - Not to mention the engagement via streaming online? Kids can make crazy money.

Absolutely fat purses at some of these tournaments.

It's crazy - Not to mention the engagement via streaming online? Kids can make crazy money.

Plus a lot of the live streams have chats. I know most will talk about the lack of face to face interaction, but it's a different type of socializing and engagement.

I'd rather have my child join a programming team, a robotics team or a quiz bowl team before I give them the ok to be on an eSports team.
Focus on something worthwhile for a kid's future over video games!
in a competitive team setting, gaming promotes teamwork, critical thinking, confidence, and hand eye coordination. All of those things can effectively transition into their future.

Maybe we're in different worlds, but I can't see being captain of the bar trivia night team being any more relevant than that.

I feel like the only one calling it a 'sport' is you.
I’m missing seeing half of these posts, but I’m sure I agree.

Plus a lot of the live streams have chats. I know most will talk about the lack of face to face interaction, but it's a different type of socializing and engagement.
Yessir. So, now we include streaming into the conversation, and kids now get to learn the harsh reality of trust, they'll lean to manage people (mods, subs, etc), and how to be gracious (donations, tips, etc).

Gaming, whether people like it or not, can be very good for teenagers.

Yessir. So, now we include streaming into the conversation, and kids now get to learn the harsh reality of trust, they'll lean to manage people (mods, subs, etc), and how to be gracious (donations, tips, etc).

Gaming, whether people like it or not, can be very good for teenagers.

Can also be very bad for parents' bank accounts haha if those kids get a hold of their credit/debit cards and buy a ton of s*** on Fortnite or donate/tip a lot of money to folks on Twitch. I've read some horror stories about all of that.

Can also be very bad for parents bank accounts haha if those kids get a hold of their credit/debit cards and buy a ton of s*** on Fortnite or donate/tip a lot of money to folks on Twitch. I've read some horror stories about all of that.
#BadParenting

Can also be very bad for parents' bank accounts haha if those kids get a hold of their credit/debit cards and buy a ton of s*** on Fortnite or donate/tip a lot of money to folks on Twitch. I've read some horror stories about all of that.

It just changes though. For my generation is was ebay purchases. Had a couple of friends purchase grands worth of stuff on ebay without their parent's noticing and bills only arrived once per month instead of the instant update via phone apps these days. Kids will always be frugal with parent's money haha.

It just changes though. For my generation is was ebay purchases. Had a couple of friends purchase grands worth of stuff on ebay without their parent's noticing and bills only arrived once per month instead of the instant update via phone apps these days. Kids will always be frugal with parent's money haha.
I just can't imagine this. Based on how I was raised, I would have been mortified to take my Dad's credit card and buy anything with it.

There is nothing "sports" related to sitting at a keyboard.

I refuse to call it a sport.

Agree that "sports" is a big leap in this space, but so much better than not having the option.

As far as it being a sport, no not a sport.

So, yes, I would say esports is a sport.

we’re starting to get pretty loose with the definition of sport

You're right @Canadan . It's just me.

I just can't imagine this. Based on how I was raised, I would have been mortified to take my Dad's credit card and buy anything with it.

I wouldn't be alive today if I tried to pull off a stunt like that via ebay or video games/streaming.

I'm in the same boat as you. Still to this day I'm scare sh!tless of my parents. Your previous post summed it up best in regards to this topic though, it's bad parenting.

I doubt my dad even had a credit card while I was growing up.

Why do I feel most of the people that would be against something like this would also type out an email with just their index fingers?

I wouldn't be alive today if I tried to pull off a stunt like that via ebay or video games/streaming.
I'm in the same boat as you. Still to this day I'm scare sh!tless of my parents. Your previous post summed it up best in regards to this topic though, it's bad parenting.

Well, at least we're isolating the problem here ahahaha

I don’t have any issues with having it as an after school activity. Similar to theatre, a book club, robotics or marching band. Whether the professional gamers have a workout program or not I don’t consider it a sport. Certainly a competition but not a sport. Just like I don’t consider poker a sport even though it requires stamina to win a tournament.

I would hate to see it replace things that require real physical activity. If the program included 30 minutes of fitness work every day I would say it is awesome. Kids (including my daughter) are frequently too sedentary and I think all after school programs should try to increase kids exercise.

Why do I feel most of the people that would be against something like this would also type out an email with just their index fingers?
still angry about that night of frogger and LSD.

Back