High School Golf Thread

I am actually a varsity player on a high school team! Golf, I have to say is one of the best sports ever

Hey Jman, when your team goes to the course to practice, do you make them wear collared shirts, and otherwise dress halfway decent?

The school who practices at our course (same high school as I went to) came in today and most were dressed in dingy jeans and baggy t-shirts. Some even had tank tops on.

Jacqui told the coach to make sure they dress in collared shirts and nicer pants from here on out. Nice jeans are ok, but some of these kids looked like gang wannabe's today. They've played here before (twice a week for the last month or so) and never looked this bad.

The coach dresses nice. I couldn't believe he let his kids come like they were.

One of the kids came in a wife beater yesterday. The coach made him sit by the bus during practice.

Didn't put this in here, but Im going to now!!

Was a good day. 349 for us, not our best, but was without our 2 bag. Winning team was a private school at 306, all freshmen and sophomores...
Scary.

af5a767b4b86b5d4a6421f30546feb00.jpg

Good work!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Our sectional tourney was today. Top 4 out of 8 teams get into state. We are in the smallest classification in the state, but our school hasn't qualified for state in at least the last 12 years, that's what the coach from the last 12 years before this year told us. I had a chance to take our #1 and #2 down to play this course twice before the tourney, so we felt confident they would both do better than they did at area. We thought we would need to shoot at least a 385 to make it to state. We shot 398 at our area match, so we were going to need some help from the back end of our lineup.

Our first two guys came in with a 91 and 92, both had awful front 9s, but battled and finished strong on the back. Our 3 came in with a 98, which was his best score of the year and we were feeling pretty good. Then our 4 came in with a 115, our 5 with a 122, and then we got worried. We were just outside of the top 4 and we were depending on our 6, who has a little game, but can never string a solid round together. He shot a 126 at area. He was in the very last group of the day, so the entire team watched him come in and we knew he would be close. He walked off 18 green and we asked what he shot and he said 121 and we all kinda sank a little and then he says.. just kidding, it was a 101. We went crazy. So happy for him. I played yesterday at our local course and as I came up 18, I saw him on the range, all by himself, working to get better. That's what I've been preaching all damn year and it finally started to show.

We turned in a team total of 382, 17 strokes better than our area score to finish 2nd in the sectional qualifier and now we're headed to state for the first time in a long time. We were all pumped and it's been a lot of fun being around this team. So awesome to hear these kids talk about how they can improve between now and our next tourney. They are finally getting it.

13147490_903181362136_4778581824018912396_o.jpg

Our sectional tourney was today. Top 4 out of 8 teams get into state. We are in the smallest classification in the state, but our school hasn't qualified for state in at least the last 12 years, that's what the coach from the last 12 years before this year told us. I had a chance to take our #1 and #2 down to play this course twice before the tourney, so we felt confident they would both do better than they did at area. We thought we would need to shoot at least a 385 to make it to state. We shot 398 at our area match, so we were going to need some help from the back end of our lineup.

Our first two guys came in with a 91 and 92, both had awful front 9s, but battled and finished strong on the back. Our 3 came in with a 98, which was his best score of the year and we were feeling pretty good. Then our 4 came in with a 115, our 5 with a 122, and then we got worried. We were just outside of the top 4 and we were depending on our 6, who has a little game, but can never string a solid round together. He shot a 126 at area. He was in the very last group of the day, so the entire team watched him come in and we knew he would be close. He walked off 18 green and we asked what he shot and he said 121 and we all kinda sank a little and then he says.. just kidding, it was a 101. We went crazy. So happy for him. I played yesterday at our local course and as I came up 18, I saw him on the range, all by himself, working to get better. That's what I've been preaching all damn year and it finally started to show.

We turned in a team total of 382, 17 strokes better than our area score to finish 2nd in the sectional qualifier and now we're headed to state for the first time in a long time. We were all pumped and it's been a lot of fun being around this team. So awesome to hear these kids talk about how they can improve between now and our next tourney. They are finally getting it.

A side note Josh for your team, GMC won the state title my senior year of High School, I did not play golf then but all of the guys on the team were good friends of mine. That was 1965 and I do not remember it being done since. Let them know that more folks than they know are very happy for them and are following them as they compete in state.

Congrats on states Josh! Enjoy it! Hope the guys play well.

Awesome stuff there MT. Congrats to the team.

5a91c28f7d5430acc8827270dd5e27e9.jpg

My witty freshman 2-bag prefers this one though (notice his hand on the trophy)

2819036fbf0111bd6ec99d80b0fcab1f.jpg

Congrats Coach! Sweet trophy.

Oh crap!!! Congrats Coach and team members!!! What an accomplishment.

Very nice Jman. Congrats on a great year.

Congrats! They all look pretty happy.

Congrats JMan!!!

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

For those that don't know, or can't see it clearly in the pic, it's for academics, but we will take it. Haha

We had our state tourney yesterday in Augusta. All Georgia high school state tournaments were held at various courses around Augusta and while our course wasn't the best since we're the smallest classification in the state, it was a nice layout. There were 8 teams there and we were in the first four groups to go off with the other bottom 4 qualifiers. The top 4 schools went off a little later. We really wanted to finish in the top 4 because that's what gets recorded in the record books. The defending state champion was almost a lock to win it again because of one stud they had (they did and he shot 73, the best score by almost 10 strokes), but the other 3 schools in that top group didn't play well. We posted a score of 368 which was 30 strokes better than our area score. This course was a little easier than that one, but these guys have worked their tails off in getting ready for state.

We finished 2nd in the first group of 4 schools that went out that morning, so we knew we didn't have a chance to win it, but top 4 was still there for the taking and once all scores were turned in, we ended up finishing 3rd! It's our school's best finish in state since 1966! So proud of this team. Our goal this year was to just make it to state as a team and they outperformed all of our expectations. We finished 3 strokes out of 2nd as well. Almost took home a little hardware, but you would've thought we won the whole thing seeing how happy our guys were. The best thing about it was on the almost 2-hour drive home, all they talked about was golf. What they wanted to work on to get better for next year, talking about what they saw out there today. These kids really love the game now and that's something we didn't think was the case at the start of the year when we struggled to get the whole team together for practice. Really looking forward to seeing them progress over the next year and seeing what next year brings.

Nice buddy! Its a great feeling!!!

Here's some fun for you, our classifications state was won by a team shooting 279 on their final day (4 scores), yes, that is a sub-par average. Individual winner went 70, 67, 67. I hate private schools in HS sports, they should seriously be in their own class.

Nice buddy! Its a great feeling!!!

Here's some fun for you, our classifications state was won by a team shooting 279 on their final day (4 scores), yes, that is a sub-par average. Individual winner went 70, 67, 67. I hate private schools in HS sports, they should seriously be in their own class.

Luckily, our classification is split up into public and private. The larger ones are combined, I think. Those are just silly scores.

We're doing a Ryder Cup style event with our golf team this week, teachers vs students. This should be a lot of fun, its a great way for us to kind of kick off our golf season. We had a really strong golfer move into our district this semester, I look forward to seeing what he can add to our team.

Congrats to the above on their showings!

One of the things I like to use when I practice putting is what Dave Pelz calls his "O-balls"

DP4016_3.jpg

I use them to see if I'm cutting across the ball at impact or if I'm making a square contact. I just recently found that Pelz sells a marker to make your own version of these balls:
DP4014_3.jpg

https://www.pelzgolf.com/dave_pelz_golf_pro_shop/_PelzLearningAids.aspx?aid=14

I decided to get one of these & make a practice ball for every one of the kids on our team for a Christmas present. I was hoping to make the lines in our school colors (Maroon & gold) but can't find a good color marker that stays permanently, so I'm sticking with red.

Having withdrawals from my time as a team player. I get messages daily from the younger members still on the team keeping me updated on their whereabouts and match results. The one thing I really miss about high school. As captain, I really changed the direction of a few players lives off the course and academic wise for the better and it is one of my proudest accomplishments. Nothing had me quite as excited as during the summers finding unsure players and turning them into fellow teammates. Really grateful for the opportunity.

Sounds like a great idea man!

It's been a while, and I thought I'd take this opportunity to Congratulate Jman on his successful boys team, and to wish him best of luck taking on the girls team duties as well!

Good bump, Grins. Jman, any news on your teams this year?

I'm excited to follow this thread, and contribute a bit as well.

My freshman-aged son went out for the golf team this year. First meeting was yesterday. I don't think they cut anyone from these teams, and as it stands they need bodies. They lost a few seniors from last year, and then one senior this year graduated early in December and won't be playing. So its mainly juniors and sophomores with a 2-3 freshman. Maybe 7 or 8 total players. The coach said they play 6 and score 5 for league matches, so there is a good chance that my boy could play in a few matches and tournaments as a freshman, which is awesome. He's nervous, but I'm sure he'll adjust well.

Back