Home mat and net vs indoor range

Home mat and net vs indoor range

• Option A

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Option B

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
Awesome setup Slueth!

Malemotives just make sure your working on the right things don't want to groove worse habits.

On another note I tracked down the house with the outdoor green and wedge tee boxes. It was right where I thought it was. It looks awesome from the road.

Awesome set up sleuth! I've been looking for a quality mat and will definitely check the Allturf products!

Adam,

Go to Carl's on Telegraph and buy their old Fiberbuilt mats. I bought a center section and two of the outer grass panels last fall and used it in the garage all winter. They retire the mats when there is a big wear mark on one side - the great thing is there are 3 more sides that are in almost perfect shape! the let me pick through the pile so there is quite a variety of mats to choose from.
I put those grey interlocking foam panels down underneath the mat just to make sure I wouldn't have any issues hitting off the concrete floor.
For a net I was lucky enough to snag one of those 10'x10'x10' cages off Ebay and put that in the garage. Its the commercial one from this company http://www.sportnetting.com/packages.html and I just bought the poles from Home Depot.
I also got a Tour Striker 7 iron and SwingByte. I didn't record all my swings but my totals right now are 5,597 swings recorded over 69 sessions with the Swingbyte last winter. A couple sessions were either at Barrymores or Jawor's but not too many.
Oh, my garage is a 2 1/2 car detached and you need to budget for a heater here in Michigan if yours is detached!
Good luck with your project - its definitely worth it!
Dave

I didn't know they sold their old mats. I'll have to look into it. Mind if I ask how much they charged?

sleuth: Very cool setup. I have a couple of questions:
1) How tall is your garage height wise?
2) Can you hit wedges?
3) Have you shanked one and had a ball shoot out past the netting?

sleuth: Very cool setup. I have a couple of questions:
1) How tall is your garage height wise?
2) Can you hit wedges?
3) Have you shanked one and had a ball shoot out past the netting?
1. It's a little over 10' high
2. Yes. I was hitting full pitching wedge the other day. Move the mat closer to the net and you can use other wedges
3. Admittedly I have hit some shots off the hosel. They did not go outside the net and my walls are safe.

sleuth: Thanks.

For others, I'm really curious about the ceiling height issue. I want to build one of these setups, but this is the thing that holds me back. I have an older house with low, 8 foot ceilings in most rooms. I do have an outdoor deck that is a bit taller though.

I'm of slightly above average height (6 ft 1), am a bit vertical in the swing and want to be able to hit driver with a good follow through and wedges. If anyone knows what height I really need, I'd appreciate it.

10 feet would give you some wiggle room. My garage has high ceilings and that's never an issue. I can swing a club in my living room I guess (I think 8 feet ceilings), but I'd be scared to do it at full speed.

sleuth, is the mat still holding up? Payday is tomorrow.

sleuth, is the mat still holding up? Payday is tomorrow.

Yea dude. You'll see a couple pictures below showing the fiber density. While a few fibers still come loose here and there on errant shots, I still can't see this being a problem long-term. It's heavily packed.

Top of Mat
20131030_083311_zpsec771ca4.jpg

Side Profile
20131030_083329_zpsa6fef2bb.jpg

One thing to note is that the tee does launch out of the mat and some times it's hard to find. Use white or really bright colored tees.

Awesome. Tees flying is no big deal. Definitely used to that.

10 feet would give you some wiggle room. My garage has high ceilings and that's never an issue. I can swing a club in my living room I guess (I think 8 feet ceilings), but I'd be scared to do it at full speed.

I figured 10 feet is what you need. I measured everything off and I've got nothing over 8.5 feet. I can swing a 5 iron there but even then it is close and would be scared if I got too aggressive.

That means if I do this, it is going to have to be outside in an uncovered area which exposes it to the elements, the birds, squirrels, raccoons, etc.. That also means that anything I set up that has electronics isn't permanent. Finally, I'm going to have a tougher time heating and cooling it.

Has anyone tried an outdoor setup, or at that point do you just give up go to the range? My range is 30 minutes away and operates on reduced hours in the winter. With kids, I can barely get 30 minutes out there on some winter nights before it closes.

Yep, I've moved outside plenty of times. Helps to have a net that is easy to move around or put up/take down. Tears up the grass something awful though.

I think it was $120 - $130 for all 3 pcs (the main center section and the 2 outer sections)

Great deal if the mats are in decent shape. At that price, I could donate them in the spring and pick up another one in the fall.

Adam I picked up mine for a lot less but they were heavily used. I think picking up used mats is gonna depend on how well you know the range owner and the shape they are in when it comes to price.

I've been dealing with Carl's for a long time so I'm sure their "used" will be next to new and a whole lot cheaper than what I'm planning to spend on a truestrike mat.

Hawk: I'm thinking of a permanent outdoor setup on my deck. I'd just leave it out there. Has anyone tried that?

I live in a place with very high population density. I have a carport and an older home with lots of small floors. It's difficult to move things in and out and there's no real way to have something outside that doesn't get wet. I may have to accept that I just don't have the environment to support this type of setup.

Well, I think you could find a mat that would work outside, and probably a net too. Range mats are outdoors 24/7 and I've hit into netting at courses that don't have a range. I think they'll degrade quicker than normal of course, but the cost still may be worth it.

My club has a small driving range. It's roughly 250 yds deep and past it is a busy road. So they have a net setup year round at the back of the range to keep balls from flying out into the street for the long knockers. I'm not sure how often they change it, but I can ask. With a quality net I'm sure it can be kept up for a couple years. You would probably have to make your own setup out of PVC so it doesn't rust. Sounds rather cost effective too.

My club has a small driving range. It's roughly 250 yds deep and past it is a busy road. So they have a net setup year round at the back of the range to keep balls from flying out into the street for the long knockers. I'm not sure how often they change it, but I can ask. With a quality net I'm sure it can be kept up for a couple years. You would probably have to make your own setup out of PVC so it doesn't rust. Sounds rather cost effective too.

I have been stopped at that light and had golf balls bounce around my vehicle on Fleur.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

My vote is for the mat and net setup. A friend of mine has one set up in his garage and it's great for the wintertime. You can literally go out and hit full shots and chip. I just love the fact that you get full contact on the ball. Some folks hate mats with a passion, which I can kind of understand, but I think being able to get swings in, as long as you're not working on some major swing change/flaw would be good. I have to say the price is a bit steep though. Not sure I'd have the guys to drop $650 on something like that. I'd think it could be done much cheaper, but I don't know.

It's hard to beat mat and net for us golfers in the cold climates. It's not like you don't know if you hit a ball fat. You can feel it. Of course grooving a swing with a perfect lie every time doesn't translate to real golf but still better than no golf.

Swung by Carl's yesterday and took a quick look at the used mats they had. They were priced well, but looked to be a little to worn for my liking. I still haven't ordered a mat yet as I just can't bring myself to part with the $600 for a Truestrike mat. I may just go with the Country Club Elite mat that my neighbor has been using. As I said earlier, it's good but it's no Truestrike.

My monster tee mat showed up yesterday. Only a little time to try it out, but pretty nice. Some cushion for the pushin compared to my old set up.

Back