Home mat and net vs indoor range

• Option A

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Option B

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
I'm gonna replace my net I use at work, do to it falling apart(el cheapo birthday gift) and use the optishot again this winter.

I'd love to get a LM at home for a decent price once the garage is completed that allowed you to play a course.

One of my instructors students is putting in an about golf system in his house. I need to befriend this guy as he also put in an outdoor putting green and tee boxes to practice his wedge game. Drooolllllllll

I have the setup to hit in the garage, but not being a heated garage I'll have to pony up for a good space heater this winter.
Also, I've never liked the domes in my area. At 100 yds deep, except for wedges, you can't tell the movement on the ball anyways.

I'm gonna replace my net I use at work, do to it falling apart(el cheapo birthday gift) and use the optishot again this winter.

I'd love to get a LM at home for a decent price once the garage is completed that allowed you to play a course.

One of my instructors students is putting in an about golf system in his house. I need to befriend this guy as he also put in an outdoor putting green and tee boxes to practice his wedge game. Drooolllllllll

This guy has to be loaded. That's a great system.

The local golftecs in my area have put a foresight monitor into at least 1 practice bay. This is absolutely the ideal setup for winter play in my opinion because now I can use the camera systems (along with drawing lines on the screens for alignment, etc) alongside seeing ball flight on the monitor, including all the important stats. A practice membership with golftec is pretty cheap as well (compared to the lessons).

I also like the idea mentioned earlier of getting one of the swing analyzer products (swing tip, 3 bays, etc) to give some of fact based measurement feedback along with hitting the ball into the net. You couple that with a camera app for your iPad and you have a pretty nice setup.

This guy has to be loaded. That's a great system.

Yeah apparently he was left a ton of money has no job and is a giant kid! I guess he's terrible at golf not sure how but whatever.

28k for putting green and tees

35k for about golf setup

I need to be friend this dude because he sounds like a great guy even with out the awesome golf gadgets! Those are a bonus I suppose. I think I know where he lives and will be doing a drive by to see if I can see his green and tee set up

#stalker

If you do brefriend him, send me an invite. I spent a lot of time down your way for work last year and want to get back. I though Dublin was such a cool area. Sadly, I didn't get to play any courses while I was there.

Man, you gotta get over there, golfinFF. aboutGolf is really as good as it gets for sims. High speed camera based and delivers as good a set of launch angles as any outside the radar based systems.

I gotta get a setup for the winter. 2014 is on the way and I will be ready.

I gotta get a setup for the winter. 2014 is on the way and I will be ready.

Where would you set it up Cookie? Inside or outside? That net I reviewed is a great option to save space, though the bigger one is probably the best for all around performance.

Where would you set it up Cookie? Inside or outside? That net I reviewed is a great option to save space, though the bigger one is probably the best for all around performance.

Some garage/some driveway. Mostly driveway I'm guessing though.

You'll want a big one then imo. Don't get a Dick's net dude. Plenty of good ones out there, but the bad ones are really bad.

If you do brefriend him, send me an invite. I spent a lot of time down your way for work last year and want to get back. I though Dublin was such a cool area. Sadly, I didn't get to play any courses while I was there.

When you get down this way bring the sticks and shoot me a PM! I'll try man.

Man, you gotta get over there, golfinFF. aboutGolf is really as good as it gets for sims. High speed camera based and delivers as good a set of launch angles as any outside the radar based systems.

Haha I have creepily tried to figure out how to do it and not be creepy and I don't want to get my instructor in a bad situation since the guy is his student as well. But I am almost positive I know where he lives and will be doing a drive by to see his practice green setup.

Hahaha. I can see the headline...

Local Man Arrested for Simulator Stalking

Sometime you have to go the extra mile :)

If I can't afford it I might as well make friends with those that can right?

When you get down this way bring the sticks and shoot me a PM! I'll try man.

Haha I have creepily tried to figure out how to do it and not be creepy and I don't want to get my instructor in a bad situation since the guy is his student as well. But I am almost positive I know where he lives and will be doing a drive by to see his practice green setup.

Will do. Thanks!

Hahaha. I can see the headline...

Local Man Arrested for Simulator Stalking

That would be awesome!

Indoor Range Setup!

Indoor Range Setup!

20131023_131316_zps39987549.jpg

So I received the mat yesterday, and the net today. That was rather fast shipping since I only decided and placed orders on Friday.

Mat - Monster Tee Golf Mat (From AllTurf)
http://www.allturfmats.com/MonsterTee-Golf-Mats-s/36.htm

I went with the 3' x 5' version. Reason I chose this is because it's smaller in size and I don't stand wider than 3'. They have an ultimate version of this exact mat that provides some padding underneath. So it'll absorb some of that shock that would be difficult on the wrist and elbow. I really wrestled with getting the 'ultimate' version, but in the end I needed something that was easily transportable. The Monster Tee Golf Mat rolls up very easily and I can store it when not in use. To assist with some of the shock that golf mats add, I used foam floor tiles underneath. The same kind that parents use for childrens playrooms. Another viable option is the rubber kind that is used in workshops, but I had the foam ones readily available.

I haven't tried any other top artificial mat brands so I cannot provide any comparison. I can provide insight into why I chose this brand and how well it works. I love the idea of the added 1.125" dense fiber to combat the bouncing effect that is common among mats. From the 100 balls that I struck it works very well. I can tell when I hit the shot fat or flush. Even shots that are ever so slightly fat - you can feel the clubhead catch a little before impact. I hate rubber and/or plastic simulator tees. I have bad experiences with both. So the fact that these mats will accept real tees is amazing. However, note the mat thickness, as you will need to ensure your tee is of proper length before using. The 3.25" tees kept my ball too high for my liking and I had to cut one down. I didn't notice any issues with my joints as far as shock from the mat. I was hitting relatively clean shots. I can see this being a problem if you miss super fat or you are an extreme digger.

I cannot speak to durability yet. During my use I did notice on fat shots that some of the dense fibers did come out. Not many, just a few but this is something to make a future note of. There are so many fibers I just cannot see this making a huge impact.

Overall - Extremely happy with the mat, especially at the given price.

20131023_131341_zpse6eea0bc.jpg

Net - Rukk Net
http://www.rukket.com/sports-nets/rukknet/#ecwid:category=2182072&mode=product&product=9156393

My needs will be different than any other consumers, so be conscience of why I decided to purchase this net. This is a setup that I will need to constantly setup and tear down. I do not have a good place to keep a net permanently setup. Thus my number one desire was ease of use. It really boiled down to two options - Pro Advanced and Rukket. There were some wavering reviews from Pro Advanced that was enough to keep me away. Mind you that I have never seen or used one in person. Though a common issue with the net seemed to be with the durability of the netting. I was comfortable enough to pony up a little more cash to keep my mind at ease. I don't want to break any windows or put holes in my walls.

So Rukk Net and the pop up design come into the picture. The videos you see online really are that easy. The claims are true and it does in fact take 15 secs to setup and fold up. The net fits perfectly back up in its carrying bag. Inside it also comes with some stakes if you were to use it outdoors during windy conditions. It's so convenient and transportable. I had no problems carrying the net within its bag. It weighs somewhere around 12lbs. Shoot my kid and dog weigh more than that. The ease of setup and transport is worth a lot more to me than anything and I love that so far!

It is quite large at around 7' at its highest point and 9' wide. So this does take up some space. In my pictures it looks like it may be wider than a 1 car garage spot, but that's not entirely true. My garage is really cluttered with tools and boxes. I really do need to get around to cleaning the mess up and I'm sure it'll look a lot more open. The seems wide enough to catch shanks. Hope I'm right with that advisement! When examining the netting closely it does in fact look like 4ply and looks very durable. This netting is also sold separately if it ever does rip. There is a second backup net in case the first net were to ever fail, which is always good.

The ball return does work, somewhat. I'm using it on a hard surface so it's really easy to come back to me. In fact it comes back too well. I probably need to put a blanket down to keep the ball from bouncing back. During my indoor session I used 1 ball the whole time, even though I brought multiple out. From the design and how it spit the ball back, I can see this being an issue in grass. In order for the ball return to work it really does need a clear path and somewhat hard surface like carpet.

Overall - Very happy with the net and not sure how they could even improve on the concept. It fits my exact needs.

I guess the question that is still lingering in my head is whether this will get regular use. Well, you guys can ask me how often I used it in spring!

Looks good man. Keep me up to date on that mat. Price is very very nice.

Liking the setup.

Looks good man. Keep me up to date on that mat. Price is very very nice.
Just got back from hitting 100 more balls on it, dude it's pretty amazing at that price. I think it's time you confront the wife and tell her the landing strip needs to be gone :D

nice setup, keep us updated on the net and mat. Once you get some more time maybe even start a review thread.

Just got back from hitting 100 more balls on it, dude it's pretty amazing at that price. I think it's time you confront the wife and tell her the landing strip needs to be gone :D

I'm on it. I love all things retro.

I've setup and used the mat/net everyday since receiving it so far. It's so painless and easy to setup. It literally takes me a minute to setup the tiles, unroll the hitting mat, and throw up the golf net. Tear down is equally as painless and maybe takes a little longer to put away, like a minute and a half haha.

Anyway I thought I'd share my indoor putting setup. I just set it out in my basement in one of our bonus rooms.

20131025_125000_zpsba569c10.jpg

So a Big Moss 10 x 4 August putting mat, boomerang putting aid, and chipping mat. What's not pictured is my eyeline putting mirror I need to find somewhere, and all my putters I'll be toying with.

I'm ready for winter! Sort of...

Nice! I'm not giving up on being outdoors just yet. I haven't even ordered my mat and net yet.

Nice! I'm not giving up on being outdoors just yet. I haven't even ordered my mat and net yet.
I guess one perk of working from home. Get to hit balls in between meetings or on slow days!

I got 2 of the TT4860, from All Turf Mats (4' x 6' and almost 2 inches thick). I've had them for 4 months of almost daily use and they hold up well. They hold a regular tee instead of those rubber inserts, and take a pretty good impact, simulating taking a divot. At $80, they were affordable. I'll leave one here and take the other down to Arizona, next month, for the winter. While I do need range time to see ball flight, I also need swing practice to gain some consistency. Plus, hitting a few hundred golf balls every day is good exercise. That plus the gym room this winter will help my golf and the upcoming Biggest Loser contest. I need both.

Back