Honma TW XP-1 Driver - THP Review Thread

I have a question for those following this thread and driver. Is $599 in a little bit of no man's land? Meaning less than the super premium drivers, but not much more than the market share leaders. Does it get passed over because of it?
It's sad but I think it would be passed over because it is Honma. Just like the majority of the "follow the herd" golfers don't give W/S and TEE a second glance.

That being said, even those golfers that realize that there is more to life than the number and color of the stars a certain magazine gives each club could, understandably, be hesitant to spend more than they would for one of the market leaders. Especially since they know that in a few months those drivers will go on sale.

The super premium crowd will pass on the TW series of clubs for the same reason they pass over the "C" class Mercedes. Yes, it has the same hood ornament but it's not an "S" class.

I have a question for those following this thread and driver. Is $599 in a little bit of no man's land? Meaning less than the super premium drivers, but not much more than the market share leaders. Does it get passed over because of it?
For me personally this price is too high. I would never spend $599 on a new driver, but would consider something in the $300 range. Would I buy the $300 driver? Maybe, maybe not. I tend to look for new clubs that are a year or two old, but have still been thinking about some of the newer offerings.

So in this case, I think Honma maybe in a bad spot. More than the popular drivers most people know about, but not as much as the super premium crowd. It may look too expensive to some, and too cheap to others.

599 is an interesting price point. I will be curious where that rank come January when all the latest is released. I still perceive that they want their prices a tick above the rest to keep some of the Honma mystique, but I'll be honest, I don't think this is the line to do it with.

For that price, it has to outperform the industry leaders by a wide margin to get any traction. @ddec love the pictures and videos! Hate the sound of this driver!

Time for a little Honma v Honma action...

205c98f2de2bf27faf404e7c830c5752.mov

I LOVED the 737 driver. I'm looking forward to hearing this comparison.

I LOVED the 737 driver. I'm looking forward to hearing this comparison.

I need to go through the numbers to get a better one v one look. But here is what I can tell you.

1)shape is so much deeper on the XP1, more rounded and compact(in comparison) on the 737.
2)sound profile, both sound good to my ears. Composite crown definitely changes the profile on xp1.
3)I feel like I was getting more distance and speed on the 737(i hit that 2nd). Went back and then got some ball speed numbers that were in the same region.
4)again without combing through them yet, more spin off the xp1.
5)737 setup fits me better with the heavier and stiff shaft. Esp with my tempo.

Good initial feedback Deano.

The 737 was a sleeper, and you hit it well, So it’s a tough litmus for this one imo.

Good initial feedback Deano.

The 737 was a sleeper, and you hit it well, So it’s a tough litmus for this one imo.

It is. I also included another one in the fold too just for fun.

I need to go through the numbers to get a better one v one look. But here is what I can tell you.

1)shape is so much deeper on the XP1, more rounded and compact(in comparison) on the 737.
2)sound profile, both sound good to my ears. Composite crown definitely changes the profile on xp1.
3)I feel like I was getting more distance and speed on the 737(i hit that 2nd). Went back and then got some ball speed numbers that were in the same region.
4)again without combing through them yet, more spin off the xp1.
5)737 setup fits me better with the heavier and stiff shaft. Esp with my tempo.

Yeah, that 40-ish gram shaft isn't exactly in your wheelhouse. Would be interesting if you could see the #s with the heavier Vizard shaft in there. Sounds like it kind of performs like the Beres, which definitely wants to spin for me, and the shaft has a similar profile.

Yeah, that 40-ish gram shaft isn't exactly in your wheelhouse. Would be interesting if you could see the #s with the heavier Vizard shaft in there. Sounds like it kind of performs like the Beres, which definitely wants to spin for me, and the shaft has a similar profile.

Yes sir, the heavier shaft would be a more comfortable option for me. This shaft certainly has some extra kick/wiggle to it and I can feel like that is what I feel during the swing. Remembering your Beres setup, its a similar feeling.

Yes sir, the heavier shaft would be a more comfortable option for me. This shaft certainly has some extra kick/wiggle to it and I can feel like that is what I feel during the swing. Remembering your Beres setup, its a similar feeling.
I’m using the term wiggle from now on. Way better than whippy.

Really liking the XP-1 irons piqued my interest in your review Dean. Great stuff so far.

That’s definitely not a sound that would be offensive. $$ is a bit of a miss imo

Hey @ddec how are you feeling about the adapter system? Still seems so wild to me.

Hey @ddec how are you feeling about the adapter system? Still seems so wild to me.

it is wild and I kind of tackle in the review. I'm so torn on the idea. I love that we get a clean look down at the hosel because the adjustment ring is down by the screw side. What I don't like is that I need that adapter to set the club up. Without it, it's one pain in the arse. I think it is something that could be promising, they took a chance with it, and I respect that, but man it's kind of a headscratcher. Esp with you consider that there are shaft adapters out there that don't require users to rotate the actual shaft.

Time for a little Honma v Honma action...

205c98f2de2bf27faf404e7c830c5752.mov

I'm interested if the XP-1 out performs the TW737 since the XP-1 is $480 dollars more right now at PGASS.

it is wild and I kind of tackle in the review. I'm so torn on the idea. I love that we get a clean look down at the hosel because the adjustment ring is down by the screw side. What I don't like is that I need that adapter to set the club up. Without it, it's one pain in the arse. I think it is something that could be promising, they took a chance with it, and I respect that, but man it's kind of a headscratcher. Esp with you consider that there are shaft adapters out there that don't require users to rotate the actual shaft.

I’m kind of fascinated by it, at the same time super confused by it. They seemed to have fixed a problem that most didnt really know or think existed?

I'm interested if the XP-1 out performs the TW737 since the XP-1 is $480 dollars more right now at PGASS.

That does make sense, based on time. TW737 is a number of years older. TW747 was in between them, so I get the price difference.

for that price difference, I would say save your money. I got slightly more ball speed from the XP-1, but also got higher launch, spin, and peak height. TW 737 I was able to hit a little flatter, with less spin, and it produced more carry.

I’m kind of fascinated by it, at the same time super confused by it. They seemed to have fixed a problem that most didnt really know or think existed?

One benefit that I like with it(outside of the clean look at the hosel) is that I can adjust it by loosening the screw very minimally(like one turn). Then slip that every sleeve on, change the setting, and tighten it down. It's different, I don't know if it's better, but I'm also not sure if it has to be.

One benefit that I like with it(outside of the clean look at the hosel) is that I can adjust it by loosening the screw very minimally(like one turn). Then slip that every sleeve on, change the setting, and tighten it down. It's different, I don't know if it's better, but I'm also not sure if it has to be.

So similar to the Quick Change that Wilson Staff had?
Kind of crazy to think I never messed with it before sending it off, other than taking a few pictures of the long hosel.

So similar to the Quick Change that Wilson Staff had?
Kind of crazy to think I never messed with it before sending it off, other than taking a few pictures of the long hosel.

yes but no. Even with that one you need to loosen the screw a bit more. This one I mean you really have to do it with one small turn of the wrench.
This weekend I'll actually have some time to perhaps shoot a video on it. Because I believe it is one those things that will be better demonstrated.

That does make sense, based on time. TW737 is a number of years older. TW747 was in between them, so I get the price difference.

Yes sir, the 747 is still $500.

Yes sir, the 747 is still $500.

that makes sense to me. This isn't IMO a replacement to that line. This one appears to be more aimed at the mid to higher handicap player. Lightweight driver, light shafts, low and deep CG, fast face, draw weighting.

I just weighed this one compared to my Flash that I have been using. It's just about a 30 gram difference in total weight. This one comes in under 300 grams.

599 is an interesting price point. I will be curious where that rank come January when all the latest is released. I still perceive that they want their prices a tick above the rest to keep some of the Honma mystique, but I'll be honest, I don't think this is the line to do it with.

Honma put these on sale for $299.99 today - Now 2 years removed, think this price is a "Value" ?
They even have the 65gram shafts available.

Back