How do you define scrambling?

Parshooter36

Reaction score
Handicap
I am trying to enter stats for all of my rounds this year on the US Handicap service that THP is now offering. When you enter scores there is an option for up and down, which is what I am calling scrambling.

Is it any score that ends in par that does not have a GIR?

Say you're tree screwed off the tee and have to punch back into the fairway and have 150 yards left to the green. You put it on the green and 2 putt for your bogey. Is that a missed scrambling opportunity since you did not get up and down from would normally be considered an approach shot?

What if you missed the green with that 3rd shot and then get up and down for a bogey?

I am trying to enter stats for all of my rounds this year on the US Handicap service that THP is now offering. When you enter scores there is an option for up and down, which is what I am calling scrambling.

Is it any score that ends in par that does not have a GIR?

Say you're tree screwed off the tee and have to punch back into the fairway and have 150 yards left to the green. You put it on the green and 2 putt for your bogey. Is that a missed scrambling opportunity since you did not get up and down from would normally be considered an approach shot?

What if you missed the green with that 3rd shot and then get up and down for a bogey?
I think of it as taking two shots - one from around the green + the putt - to get the ball in the hole. GIR may be the more correct definition but I still want the "up and down" when I flub my drive and eliminate any GIR chances.

Any time i am taking a extra shot from any ware off the green

You'll probably get a variety of answers.

PGA Tour stats define it as:

The percent of time a player misses the green in regulation, but still makes par or better.

Not saying that's right or wrong - just what it is according to them.

I agree with Hawk's/PGA's definition. Par or better when missing the GIR.

I love a solid up and down from 165 yards.

Joking. Sort of.

I know the technical definition is up and down from off the green for par. But we all use the term up and down regardless of what the score on the hole will be. So I tend to think of it more practically as up and down from off the green, one chip, pitch, sandy plus one putt.

I know it's making par without a GIR, but for me it's making my target score for a hole (par or bogey depending) after hitting a wayward shot and having to recover.

Last edited:
I know the correct definition, but I am in the club who says up and down from off the green in two shots or less, regardless of score.

General Scrambling Numbers for 2013:
BEST90thWORST
66% (Bob Estes)58% (David Hearn)49% (Robert Garrigus)

PGATour Definitions:
Up and Down
The percent of time a player misses the green in regulation
Scrambling
but still makes par or better. (130)
Scrambling from the Sand
but still makes par or better when the birdie stroke is taken from the greenside bunker.(362)
Scrambling from the Rough
but still makes par or better when the birdie stroke is taken from the rough. (363)
Scrambling from the Fringe
but still makes par or better when the birdie stroke is taken from the fringe. (364)
Scrambling from Other Locations
but still makes par or better when the birdie stroke is taken from a location other than the greenside bunker, rough, or fringe. (365)
Scrambling from > 30 yards
but still makes par or better when the birdie stroke is taken from > 30 yards from the hole. (366)
Scrambling from 20-30 yards
but still makes par or better when the birdie stroke is taken from a distance greater than or equal to 20 yards and less than 30 yards from the hole. (367)
Scrambling from 10-20 yards
but still makes par or better when the birdie stroke is taken from a distance greater than or equal to 10 yards and less than 20 yards from the hole. (368)
Scrambling from < 10 yards
but still makes par or better when the birdie stroke is taken from < 10 yards from the hole. (369)

You'll probably get a variety of answers.

PGA Tour stats define it as:

Not saying that's right or wrong - just what it is according to them.

Fair enough, in that case my scrambling % is quite low. :alien:

I agree with Hawk in that his explanation is what I've always defined as an official scramble. Now, when I hit a bad tee shot and have to "scramble" to make par, like making something happen to make up for a bad shot, that's also something I say.

I agree with Hawk's definition. However, I think there is also such a thing as a scrambling bogey. For example, I've carded many a score in the 80's, only because I was able to "scramble," and get a few bogeys where in truth a double bogey or worse, would have been warranted.

I'm definitely a bogey scrambler. Doubles are the devil.

I'm with the PGA here. It's as simple as missing greens and not dropping shots.

In my head it's missing a GIR and still making par.

I know what the PGA definition is, but I want a more meaningful stat than that. If you hit your drive OB that has nothing to do with an up and down, yet you would have to hole your 4th shot ( assuming a par 4) to get credited with one. I'm not opposed to you counting a up and down for bogey either that would be your call. I personally only count shots within 100 yards of the green as that let's me know my true up and down %. Just my take. I think the stats one keeps should tell you where you need to work on your game.

When Your fellow players call you "Jim" .. Loved that beer commercial when he was hitting out of the woods

I know what the PGA definition is, but I want a more meaningful stat than that. If you hit your drive OB that has nothing to do with an up and down, yet you would have to hole your 4th shot ( assuming a par 4) to get credited with one. I'm not opposed to you counting a up and down for bogey either that would be your call. I personally only count shots within 100 yards of the green as that let's me know my true up and down %. Just my take. I think the stats one keeps should tell you where you need to work on your game.

Before all of the stats that the PGA Tour now has available. I think they did used to have an Up/Down Percentage category. I think they based on on 30 yards and in.F

For me, that is also that yardage I consider for up/down, when the shot is not from a bunker. From inside 30 yards, I THINK I should get up/down. From outside 30 yards, I HOPE I get up/down. For my statistical tracking, up/down % has nothing to do with saving par. It's all about one chip and one putt.

My scrambling is 19.1%... I think I know where I need work.

Back