How Do You Mark The Golf Ball (on the green)

8c7ac25dabf2e698b254b9c70eb032c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are such a Justin Thomas.

I really don't put that much thought into it... I put it behind the ball in a way that i won't bump the ball when i pick it up. Half of the time it is just to adjust the ball so it is a blank canvas. If it is a casual round I will adjust the ball without marking it.

Last edited:
8c7ac25dabf2e698b254b9c70eb032c7.jpg

I hope you fixed that pug mark you made. :)

Marker behind ball for me, not worried about how close, too much OCD in this thread for me , relax people :)

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk

I'm usually away and thenmiss my lag putt leaving a tap in so really don't have a need to mark it.

I hope you fixed that pug mark you made. :)

Marker behind ball for me, not worried about how close, too much OCD in this thread for me , relax people :)

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
Haha yes it was fixed!

I had to leave the divot #ForTheThread !

Are we sure?

14.1a/2 – Marking Ball Correctly
Rule 14.1a uses “right behind” and “right next to” to ensure the spot of a lifted ball is marked with sufficient accuracy for the player to replace it in the right spot.

A ball may be marked in any position around the ball so long as it is marked right next to it, and this includes placing a ball-marker in front of or to the side of the ball.

I never thought of placing my marker in front or to the side. Would feel weird, but to the side would be one way I could see using.

Some chatter in the latest tournament thread begs the question to me, what the appropriate way to mark a golf ball is, or at least what you believe is the right way.

Do you bury the coin basically touching the ball?
Do you drop the coin to where the ball (looking straight down) is flush with the coin?

Do you believe there is only one way (your way obviously lol) to mark the ball?
I'm the same as a couple of other guys: close but not touching. The last thing I want is to bump my ball when I'm moving my coin.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just count anything on the green as a gimmie. Is that wrong?

I mark with the mark under the ball, touching, usually.

I like the cut of your jib, mister.

I usually use a green Tortex (.88) guitar pick. When the tip of the pick hits the bottom of the ball, I pick my ball up. When replacing, I roll the ball back to the tip of the guitar pick and pick up the pick.

It gives it the best tone.

Eh, marker near the back of the ball. Sometimes placed, sometimes dropped, sometimes kida tossed in ageneral direction.

Back