How Do You Mark The Golf Ball (on the green)

Behind the ball close but never touching. If I am near someone's line and marking the ball on one side or the other is sufficient to move it out of the way I will do that instead of a putter head away - again, close but not touching.

I crouch down directly behind the ball. Then place the marker so that I can see the entire marker but no grass. Then easy to replace in essentially the same spot without worrying about accidentally moving the ball.

I leave a small gap between my coin and the ball. Try to keep it consistent each time.

I use a tee angled on the right side of the ball.

Tee person eh? If I’m playing with one of you I make you putt out if your ball is anywhere near my line. Just distracts me for some reason. No judgement, just a fact I’ve discovered over the years.

Y’all will love this one..... most casual rounds I don’t mark it unless it’s in someone’s way. I don’t line my ball up any particular way for putts, so unless I need to clean it or move it for someone, I just play it as it lies.

That oughta make for some sad shaking of the heads, lol.

I’m actually often the same. Unless gonna be within a yard of the pin, or near somebody’s line of putt I’ll leave it. Especially if a casual round.

Have any of you guys every considered marking ahead of the ball instead of behind it?

I’m pretty sure that’s in the rulebook as not allowed.

I’m pretty sure that’s in the rulebook as not allowed.

There are no USGA rules as to where/how you mark the ball. You can place your coin wherever you want....in front, behind, to the side, or a mile away....you are only obligated to replace the ball in its original position before striking it again.

There are no USGA rules as to where/how you mark the ball. You can place your coin wherever you want....in front, behind, to the side, or a mile away....you are only obligated to replace the ball in its original position before striking it again.

14.1a Marking a ball: Place a ball-marker right behind or right next to your ball

If my ball is not in anyone else’s lie I like to put a pitch repair tool immediately behind it. I return the ball to the same spot.

for me, I'm usually fairly close but never touching. I'm always afraid that removing the coin that close at some point is going to make me slap the ball away haha
Same for me, it's darn close but never touching.

14.1a Marking a ball: Place a ball-marker right behind or right next to your ball

Are we sure?

14.1a/2 – Marking Ball Correctly
Rule 14.1a uses “right behind” and “right next to” to ensure the spot of a lifted ball is marked with sufficient accuracy for the player to replace it in the right spot.

A ball may be marked in any position around the ball so long as it is marked right next to it, and this includes placing a ball-marker in front of or to the side of the ball.

wow,.....some of these posts....no wonder greens play can often be such the pain in the butt. Its almost funny. I mean I place my marker behind the ball and pick up the ball. And that usually only happens one time and sometimes dosnt happen at all as a quick mark, quick wipe and the ball is back down again all before I even stand up. Don't recall ever having accidentally moved my ball in doing so nor not replacing it where it was. Some people can make a science project out of almost nothing. But hey,...whatever makes you happy I guess.

Delve into the interpretations section.....you can also mark your ball with a club.

Rule 14.1a uses “right behind” and “right next to” to ensure the spot of a lifted ball is marked with sufficient accuracy for the player to replace it in the right spot.

A ball may be marked in any position around the ball so long as it is marked right next to it, and this includes placing a ball-marker in front of or to the side of the ball.

Are we sure?

14.1a/2 – Marking Ball Correctly

Lol. And this is why the rules of golf are idiotic. Decision directly refutes the rule.

8c7ac25dabf2e698b254b9c70eb032c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the time I don't even mark my ball. I just putt. When I do, I just set my market behind the ball, not touching though.

I place directly behind the ball. Not touching the ball but close. Then I replace the ball with the same distance from ball to marker as was before ball was removed.

The edge of the coin touching the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THP A-C ball marker behind ball but not touching. If I'm by myself or a buddy and not in his line I mostly just spike a tee or repair tool behind it and call it good. Just replace the ball in the same spot that it was picked up from and don't worry about it. Golf is slow enough without being anal on little things like this.

I rarely mark unless my ball is in someone’s line. If I do mark I put the marker down about 1/4” behind the ball.

Back