How Do You Mark The Golf Ball (on the green)

I mark right behind the ball but not touching. I use a poker chip generally so I can get close without touching the ball.

I mark it a bit behind the ball, the edge is probably about even with the edge of the ball. I figured I would rather be safe and move the ball back a fraction when replacing it than risk marking it too far forward or moving it accidently.

I use a tee angled on the right side of the ball.

Behind and close to the ball but not touching, maybe up to 1/4" away.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I place it in from behind as close as I can get without touching the ball.

Slide it in close but not touching the ball. Guessing it's about a sixteenth of an inch gap, eighth inch at most.

When I saw the post in the Genesis board, I thought the picture looked like JT was too far from the ball. So, I am Interested to hear the thoughts here.

Just to see how I mark when on the green, so I grabbed a ball and ball marker and tested how I mark on my carpet floor. Did it a few time just to see if I mark my ball closer or similar.

Actually, I always have been afraid of touching my ball when marking and then again while moving the marker.

Here were my pictures: (I now think JT was fine)

f8d5079db1ee20d37b81201a0a1d10e4.jpg

eafc883c2a66cd50ce25b4f21f924e17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t that an accidental movement of the ball, and under the new rules you can replace without penalty? I thought that was one of the main points it was addressing. But maybe I’m wrong
That's my understanding, too, so it's probably not acceptable. : clown:

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I either place my mark directly behind the ball, or off to the side. Close, but definitely not touching. Always facing so that when standing behind the mark looking at the hole it is readable.

I understand the worry about moving the ball but that doesn't matter any more, right? IIRC if you move the ball, you are able to just put it back.

I always like to say “hey, is that a squirrel?” and then throw my marker about two feet toward the hole, but that’s just me.

No need to mark. Backstopping is fine.

I put my mark behind the ball and it's close, but I don't think that it touches the ball.

Some chatter in the latest tournament thread begs the question to me, what the appropriate way to mark a golf ball is, or at least what you believe is the right way.

Do you bury the coin basically touching the ball?
Do you drop the coin to where the ball (looking straight down) is flush with the coin?

Do you believe there is only one way (your way obviously lol) to mark the ball?

I usually use a green Tortex (.88) guitar pick. When the tip of the pick hits the bottom of the ball, I pick my ball up. When replacing, I roll the ball back to the tip of the guitar pick and pick up the pick.

No marking of the ball... golf with stymies is more fun. On a more serious note, I try to get within around 1mm or so.

I'm clumsy so I put the coin as close as I can without touching as I will knock the ball trying to take my coin away

Depends on the size of the marker - but behind the ball with the ball-covering part of the coin not touching as I don’t want to incidentally move it

hahaha "under" the ball. I read what you read briefly.

So you move the ball when marking? Hummmmm.....

Yeah I worded that poorly. I slide my mark in from behind the ball, until there’s contact, or almost contact? I don’t know, but now it’s all I’ll be able to think about. So thanks guys!!

Y’all will love this one..... most casual rounds I don’t mark it unless it’s in someone’s way. I don’t line my ball up any particular way for putts, so unless I need to clean it or move it for someone, I just play it as it lies.

That oughta make for some sad shaking of the heads, lol.

I put the coin or marker down behind the ball and then slide it towards the ball till it is just short or touches the ball.

Nearly touching, I would not penalize myself or an opponent for a small inadvertent movement of the ball.

There is no penalty for inadvertantly moving the ball.

f8d5079db1ee20d37b81201a0a1d10e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what you wrote since I can't stop looking at this awesome ball marker...I need to get one of those!

Y’all will love this one..... most casual rounds I don’t mark it unless it’s in someone’s way. I don’t line my ball up any particular way for putts, so unless I need to clean it or move it for someone, I just play it as it lies.

That oughta make for some sad shaking of the heads, lol.

I’ll actually do that sometimes too if the ball isn’t dirty.

Behind the ball, no touching usually but close

Have any of you guys every considered marking ahead of the ball instead of behind it?

I think the problem there would be trying to see the marker to make sure it’s actually being put back in the same spot

I place it in from behind as close as I can get without touching the ball.
This. If in a match I'll pay a little more attention when placing/removing marker so I don't move the ball.

Back