How Do You Read Greens?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Title says it all.

Since I don't play in competitions, I usually just squat behind the ball and analyze the slope(s) between the ball and pin. If I know the greens are particularly tricky, I'll try to envision how water would run off the surface, and will take grain into consideration to help calculate how fast or slow a putt will be.

I don't use any of the other tricks like plumb-bobbing, aim point, etc.

Aimpoint Express, sort-of...Not at the point where I can feel the grade in a reliable way, but between a quick attempt at feeling it, looking at the slope with my eyes, and watching other players' putts when possible, I come up with a slope estimate and use the fingers to determine where I'm going to aim.

It isn't really using Aimpoint Express per se, but since incorporating the concept of slope estimate, I've been dropping more 4-10 footers than I ever have before.

Stand behind the ball or maker. Take about 10 seconds to read the green.

Combination of kneeling down and looking from behind, taking a look from either side, walking to the halfway/breakpoint and getting a feel from there, and looking at the the final 4 feet a bit closer if. Sometimes only one of these things and sometimes all of them. I always then visualize the line starting from the hole (where ball will enter cup) back to my ball.

I'm pretty sure I have soap poisoning.

a christmas story GIF

My own version of aimpoint that I started this year.

I use my time walking up to the green to read the basic contour of it as a whole, and specifically in relation to where my ball and and where my ball needs to go. If I have to walk from one side of the green to the other, I will read it from the opposite side first and then from behind when I get to my ball.

If I dont have to cross the green to get to my ball, I read from behind only.

95% of the time I just squat behind the ball to get my read. If by chance I cannot tell what the green does from behind my ball I may walk to the other side to check it.

360 walk around the ball with stops on the low side, behind the cup and behind the ball. Still stink at reading putts but at least I try....

My own version of aimpoint that I started this year.
This is really what I am doing as well. It works ok.. I am not pointing my fingers though.

Aimpoint express or look at it from both sides.

Most of the time I tried to get the read from behind the ball, but I'll look from the other side of the pin if it's a tough read. I could definitely stand to get better at green reading.

95% of the time, read from behind the ball only. If I have time, I will go to opposite side. But from behind the ball almost exclusively

Feel break in feet, eye it from both sides, pick my point, roll the rock.

Poorly.

In all seriousness - I tend to rely more on feel and feet. I'll walk around and view the hole from both sides and try to feel things as I walk to help me determine break.

Poorly!

I usually try to get a general idea walking up from the side of my green between the hole and my ball. After that, give it a look from behind the ball and go. I need to get better here for sure.

Honestly,
I casually walk up towards the ball from other side of the cup looking at it all the way. Then just stand and wait around behind my ball until it’s time to step up and just hit it. For me, I’ve collected everything I need break wise on my way to the ball.

90% from behind the ball only. Other times, I'll look at the putt from what I think is the high point, or walk from the ball to the cup and back, to get a feel for any slope that is involved.

I'm doing my best to break an old habit of plumb-bobbing.

From the hole back to the ball first. Then walk on the high side of the break (if there is one) to try & find the apex of the break. I don't believe in the Aim Point crap ... call me old school, but. Then from behind I look for the break directly at the hole. I try to judge the speed (hopefully they are the same as the putting green but usually they aren't where I play HA!) Then pick a spot about a foot in front of the ball & stroke the putt over that spot at the speed I have determined. Try not to drink a lot of caffeine beforehand cause the short putts get very shaky when under the gun.

IMG_2725.gif

I am not great at seeing subtle breaks. I really just eyeball the green when I am walking to my ball and go with my first instinct from behind the ball.

I will usually just read it from behind but I will walk the length of the putt on longer ones to feel the slope and get the distance.
If I am still unsure I will look from the opposite side also.

Aimpoint Express. Been working on my feels this fall and this is my new plan on the greens for next season.

Will take a look at the length of the putt from its midpoint on the low side to gauge uphill/downhill, the. Aimpoint express read and go.

Back