How do you travel with your clubs?

Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How do you travel with your clubs?

I’m not talking about putting your clubs in the trunk, truck bed, back of the van, click ship, ups store, or strapped to your pet tortoise. I’m asking about how you travel long distances with your clubs... like flying. What do you do when you fly with your clubs?

What do you use to protect your clubs? Hard side case? Soft side case? Something with wheels?

Club Glove for 20 years about 50 flights....never a problem

Remove any heads that you can. To reduce iron chatter, weave some bubble wrap in and out of the irons.

I use a Sun Mountain Club Glider soft-sided case, remove the heads that can be, use a stiff arm, and put this in the hands of the airlines and god.

Hard case if I know I’ll have room for it since the airlines don’t really cover damage in a soft shell case

Brought my clubs along on a recent FL golf trip and used a soft cover travel bag. Got to FL and pulled the clubs out. Clubs were fine, but a stand on my golf bag was broken. Nothing I could do with the airline because they make you sign a waiver at check-in because damage can happen with the soft cover travel bags. I stopped at a Golf Galaxy on the way to my first round and bought a new golf bag and a hard case travel bag. Now the airlines are liable if anything is broken. Buy a hard case!

I researched a travel bag here before a trip last fall and ended up choosing a cheaper amazon soft sided option and a stiff arm due to time constraints. My clubs were fine, but the case took a beating on the first flight. Quite fortuitously though, while shopping with the in-laws I wandered right by a Subtle Patriot Covert Travel Bag that I remembered @JB and a couple others mentioning. It was the last one they had and was a real good price. The cheap one came home in my other luggage and the SP has traveled well on a few trips since. Far superior. The hat hutch is worth its weight in gold because if my travel hat case isn't already full on the way there, it is on the way home.

Club glove last bag collegiate with stiff arm.

Hard case if I know I’ll have room for it since the airlines don’t really cover damage in a soft shell case
Curious as to how you got them home from the GD? Did you bring your hard case along or were you provided a travel case?

Optimistically...…………….:love:

Curious as to how you got them home from the GD? Did you bring your hard case along or were you provided a travel case?
Everyone was given an OGIO soft shell travel case. I will say this, it’s by far the most durable and well-padded soft case out there. Plus, with all the removable heads nowadays, Im not too worried about stuff breaking since I disassemble everything anyways.

I have yet to travel with my clubs unless on vacation and driving and that is a non issue. I have thought about it quite a few times and honestly I would probably go Ship Sticks just for the ease of not having to lug the bag around through airports and also the insurance is appealing.

Remove heads, bubble wrap, hard case (or OGIO soft case) and hope. Sounds like a plan. I've gone from Dulles to Heathrow to Doha several times and my luggage survived with some "settling" occurring in shipping due to the baggage handlers. I've gone from Dulles to Doha direct and had no issues. I've gone from San Antonio to Wichita Falls and had to drive to the next nearest airport to get my bag that never got off the plane.

It's a crap shoot with the airlines. I realize that. Some are better than others

I have a TaylorMade staff bag travel cover that weighs 20 pounds. When I traveled to Coeur d’Alene it was my clubs and 2 pairs of shoes to the weight limit. The driver head came off and all was good when I arrived.

Soft bag with wheels and a stiff arm. Soft bag has room for shoes and jackets if you want to bring them but not carry them on the plane.

I usually leave the head on the driver but have removed it and I wrap my towels around the iron heads to keep them all together and avoid excess chatter.

Have a nice OGIO soft case with wheels. Pulls easy and protects the clubs well. Just remove whatever heads can be removed and use covers on the irons.

I use a camo Callaway Clubhouse soft cover from the Granddaddy. Head comes off the driver, Stiff Arm goes in and even go as far as iron covers and wrapping a towel around the other clubs.

Soft bag (Ogio) and fill the top of the bag with extra clothes/dirty clothes (return trip) to help avoid damage. Pull the heads off whatever you can.

Everyone was given an OGIO soft shell travel case. I will say this, it’s by far the most durable and well-padded soft case out there. Plus, with all the removable heads nowadays, Im not too worried about stuff breaking since I disassemble everything anyways.
I thought I remembered seeing pics that the Grandaddy participants were given a travel bag. Awesome. I will need to look into the OGIO one for when I travel for Morgan Cup in May. :cool:?

Have a nice OGIO soft case with wheels. Pulls easy and protects the clubs well. Just remove whatever heads can be removed and use covers on the irons.
I am thinking this would be the perfect opportunity to purchase and use iron covers. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sun Mountain Club Glider.

Club Glove. I take the removable heads off and store them in the headcovers and place them inside the large compartment in the bag and then turn the shafts upside down in the bag.

The question seems to come up every few months. I’ve used the same club glove soft shell case since 2002. It’s been on hundreds of flights and I have not had a single club damaged.

A beat to hell soft sided travel bag that I bought on amazon 5 or 6 years ago. It has a hole from wear in one of the corners and is missing one of the two buckles.

I always wrap a towel around the irons and wedges to keep them from banging together, which TSA promptly removes and does not replace. Other than that I don't do anything special.

My clubs have done +/- 800,000 miles in the air since buying that $50 bag, and I'm going to continue to use it until the hole is big enough that the bag can fall out. Then I may just add some tape.

Never had any damage, or even concern (keep in mind I'm traveling with some extremely expensive aspects of my bag as well.) Just the usual frustration when you open your bag and find all of your clubs have been moved around.

I put them in a travel bag, with a "contraption" that telescopes to protect the driver from crushing, then I schlep them through the airport. Pain in the neck.

Back