How Frequently do you Double Bogey?

Nervous The Office GIF

I double every time I lose a ball or 3 putt.

2 to 3 lost golf balls a around and usually 1 to 2, 3 putts.
So anywhere between 3 to 5 a round…

I'm usually good for one a round

I double every time I lose a ball or 3 putt.

2 to 3 lost golf balls a around and usually 1 to 2, 3 putts.
So anywhere between 3 to 5 a round…

This is why I have my thread of 56 range buckets to better golf. I want to eliminate as many of these as I can. My SS vs ability aren’t the same. As such, I’m using these sessions to improve my striking.

Been tracking this stuff for awhile. HC probably ranged from high 10s to low 14s during the span (152 rounds):
0.02 Eagles / 1.17 Birds / 7.93 Pars / 6.95 Bogies / 1.57 Doubles / 0.35 Triples or worse.
Most doubles was 6 (twice), one of my 5 double rounds also had a triple, most triples was 2 (4 times).
Only 17.1% (26/152) were 'clean rounds' without any doubles or worse.

I was listening to a podcast today where they said that a scratch golfer makes double bogey .7 holes per 18 hole round. In contrast, a 20 index makes double bogey or worse 6.6 holes per 18 hole round. That is an amazing contrast and it seems like many of those double bogeys or worse could be reduced to bogeys.

Do you have an idea of how many times you double bogey per round?
More than I’d like is the real answer. 2-3 times per round

2ish per round.

According to my golf app since I started keeping stats in 2016 It is about 20% of the time. If I go just within the last 12 months it is 18% of the time. Definitely need to get these to just regular bogies

I double-bogey more often than I par. That’s been consistent from year to year.

To a better player, I’m sure it seems like a lot those could be reduced to bogey.
I am not categorizing myself as a player, but there is definitely no judgment. The people on the podcast made the comment that a significant percentage of the double bogeys or worse could be eliminated, even by the 20 index, through different club selection or not trying to make the hero shot. Their belief was that we amateurs try to make the hero shot much more than even a Tour pro would. I also wonder if the big numbers could be eliminated for some by putting a chipper in the bag, or similar type of choices. When I played golf frequently with my wife (now ex), we put a chipper in her bag and it made a huge difference in saving strokes around the greens.

We all are different, though, and golf is hard.

It would probably average out to about 1.5 to 2 times per round for me.

Feels like 3-4 times per round.

According to my stats I have 0.4 a 9 hole round and 1.0 per 18 hole round.

I’m slightly better on 9 hole rounds, my guess is those are likely at my home course.
Sounds like you do an amazing job of managing your game.

Looks like every other round over my last 20. Coincidentally I had 2 in one round the other day coming off a layoff and playing in the muck. It's almost always a penalty situation for me.

Not to get too technical, but the answer to double bogeys is: to me at least YES. they are pretty close in their numbers. . It’s my most common miss.

SS says 26% so way too many.

Way too often I was going to say like 3-5/round. But Arccos told me I average 8.2/round on my last 25 rounds 🤦

On average, I would say 3-6 a round.

I am not categorizing myself as a player, but there is definitely no judgment. The people on the podcast made the comment that a significant percentage of the double bogeys or worse could be eliminated, even by the 20 index, through different club selection or not trying to make the hero shot. Their belief was that we amateurs try to make the hero shot much more than even a Tour pro would. I also wonder if the big numbers could be eliminated for some by putting a chipper in the bag, or similar type of choices. When I played golf frequently with my wife (now ex), we put a chipper in her bag and it made a huge difference in saving strokes around the greens.

I missed this part of it. I don’t get a lot of them because of stupid play. I just miss shots. I could eliminate them if I get better but I’m not making them because of poor decisions. My double bogeys tend to be a bad drive, followed by a much longer approach that leaves me inside 50 because I wasn’t hitting the green and had already turned the hole into a par 5. I usually flub a chip and then chip again and two putt.

Sounds like you do an amazing job of managing your game.
I am at fewer doubles relative to my handicap.

I think though some of it is I play the same courses a lot and most of them aren’t all the penal. Fox Hollow doesn’t have any sand, which would certainly make that number go up. I’m terrible out of bunkers.

The last round I played back in November the wheels completely fell off and I shot an 82 with 4 double bogies in the last 10 holes.

I am at fewer doubles relative to my handicap.

I think though some of it is I play the same courses a lot and most of them aren’t all the penal. Fox Hollow doesn’t have any sand, which would certainly make that number go up. I’m terrible out of bunkers.
I think that in general, our courses here in Utah tend to be more open and less penal than many other areas.

Shotscope says 11%, so 2-3 per round. I don't think it's quite that simple, however because I know I can have rounds where I am DB free, but of course I have other rounds where it's every other hole

Theirs is a common belief - maybe they play with more high cappers than I have??? But bad decisions - high cappers trying to pull off shots that the pros won't, for example - is not even close to the number one reason that I've experienced and seen as the most common reason for double or higher holes.

In the age of more people using data to support opinions, you still have those who have occasionally gone out with a high cappers, watched them miss what they consider high risk shots, and that becomes enough of a sample size to form an unwavering opinion. And the same could be said about my experiences as well. But I do know that poor decisions (with my game anyway), is nowhere near the cause as that of poor execution on shots that are not high risk.

The advice you just have to reduce the doubles or worse just brings back funny memory. In late 2021 I took lessons from an instructor. He helped me quite a bit and I still have a lot of respect for him. But in the first few rounds of the following season, I started off with some high scores. At his request I sent him the screenshots of my scores and his only comment was you have to find a way to reduce those doubles and higher - as though that wasn't self-evident. Lol

The reality is that to someone who is as inconsistent a ball striker as me, 18 holes brings about so many opportunities. I'll play certain holes with bogey as the plan from off the tee. When a golfer doesn't have any particular strengths, all it takes is one hiccup on a hole. That's why I believe par 5's are statistically more difficult for high cappers, there are more opportunities for a hiccup. When someone is already averaging bogey golf, all it takes is one poorly executed shot to get them to a double. We generally don't have the game to come back from that.

I've said this before, but the MyStrategy feature in Shotscope is a great way to see if poor decisions are a factor for blowup holes.

My average is 23% pars, 38% bogeys, and 36% d-bogey's or worse.

About once per round. I’d guess half my rounds don’t have any doubles and the others have 2ish each.

32% of the time, So 3-4 a round.

Back