How Frequently do you Double Bogey?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.4
I was listening to a podcast today where they said that a scratch golfer makes double bogey .7 holes per 18 hole round. In contrast, a 20 index makes double bogey or worse 6.6 holes per 18 hole round. That is an amazing contrast and it seems like many of those double bogeys or worse could be reduced to bogeys.

Do you have an idea of how many times you double bogey per round?

33% according to shotscope double or worse. 20.8 HC so holds for me.

A lot, as I usually shoot around 106-108.

Reactions: Ooo
Small sample size, but I've had 15 doubles or worse in my last 7 rounds, so an average of just over 2 per round in that span. Over a larger sample size I'm sure it's higher than that.

Last edited:
Without consulting my Grint, I would say about 1-2 per round. My biggest focus is eliminating double bogey or worse golf, so I tend to play safe.

Double bogies are what separate me from a single digit handicap. When I can minimize them, I will play to a 9. When I don’t, it is 12-14 hcp. I often let holes get away from me

I don’t have detailed stats but I can tell you it’s way too often. Last round I had 4 dbls and 2 trips and shot 87.

According to my stats I have 0.4 a 9 hole round and 1.0 per 18 hole round.

I’m slightly better on 9 hole rounds, my guess is those are likely at my home course.

Well this is the downside of stat tracking…..

On good rounds I seem to have two doubles for the 18, on bad rounds I’ve had as many as 7 (which unfortunately happened for a stretch this summer on a couple rounds). Seemed like I’m averaging just over 3 per 18 in 2023.

Looks like most of my doubles stem from the driver and keeping that ball in play!

Interesting, my best round ever this past summer I still had two doubles (1st & 10th holes) but it was also coupled with 3 birdies and 27 putts.

I seem to be good for 2-4 doubles per round no matter how good or bad is round is.

Good question. Looks like I average about 4, with as many as 6, or as few as 1 or 2. It is a very rare round that I have none, but with around a 17 index I guess I'm probably staying around the average.

2-3 per round per my stats

I would guess I make 2-3 double or worse per round. Friday I had 2 in 9 holes including a 3 putt double from less than 6 foot

No stats to back this up but I would guess I would have between 1 to 1.5 DB’s every 36 holes. If in trouble off a tee I do my hardest to make a bogey, worst case.

Didn't have one in 34 holes of sim golf yesterday. Most of my "others" are a result of PPP- Piss Poor Putting. Doesn't happen with 8' gimmes.

I was listening to a podcast today where they said that a scratch golfer makes double bogey .7 holes per 18 hole round. In contrast, a 20 index makes double bogey or worse 6.6 holes per 18 hole round. That is an amazing contrast and it seems like many of those double bogeys or worse could be reduced to bogeys.

Do you have an idea of how many times you double bogey per round?
On good or bad days?

Good days maybe once? I can play clean rounds when things are generally in stride.

Bad days... That Double bogey train is a hard one to get off of unless I jump off it going full speed

ShotScope says 8% of the time

I’d say 1-2 per round

Lately it's been around 4-5 times per 18 holes for me. Poor effort on my part.

My long time instructor decades ago stressed the importance of not having any 6s on my score card. I've always tried to avoid that 6, or higher number.

Double bogies for me are relatively unusual. I have had 2 in the 8 rounds thus far this year, and 46 in 113 rounds all of last year. One reason is that I rarely three-putt, and another is, when I do hit a terrible shot, I tend to try to just get the ball back in play instead of trying to pull off the "hero" shot.

About 1.1/round

Probably twice a round. Looking to try and eliminate that this year

I double-bogey more often than I par. That’s been consistent from year to year.

To a better player, I’m sure it seems like a lot those could be reduced to bogey.

I'm just under 2 per round.

3 every 2 rounds.

Back