How Hot Is Too Hot For You Not To Play Golf

It's funny but if I'm on the golf course when it is 100 degrees it doesn't bother me but if I am in the backyard or doing some light yard work in 100 degrees I get very hot.

Reminds me of the joke: "Does your wife play golf? Yes she plays in the high 70's. Any hotter than that and she doesn't play"

I am with you on this. I will go out there and sweat it out as long as its golf!

Same, I lived in Las Vegas for some time. I loved those days when it was 110-115 and scorching hot. I would not walk those days, but I would play no problem. Just take a big thing of water and try to drink enough to pee once per 9..

If I have it in my head that I'm playing...I don't care much about the heat...I'll go. But I do try to avoid it....the summer in KC can be pretty horrible. Humidity is bad. But I just look at it as sweating off a couple pounds... :)

If it's hot and I really want to play though, I'll generally just keep it to nine holes and most likely will take a cart rather than walk.

As long as I can ride I will play, but once it is over 90 then I won't walk any rounds.

I started golfing when I lived in S Fla and was broke, so playing in heat and humidity was my financial salvation. That being said, now that I live in GA my comfort range at tee time is: max low temp of 45 with high possibility of going up. Max high temp for walking is 85 with low humidity and 80 with high. I still haven't bagged out playing from a cart due to heat or humidity probably because that's how I started playing and I can carry enough cold drinks and towels in the cart and have a fan I can use.

as has been said humidity is the killer, 95 and humid is way worse than 110 and dry.

I don't mind playing in the heat provided that I am properly heat acclimated and properly hydrated.

We are having a streak on 107+for the next week or so with Sat and Sun about 110. That might be deal breaker for me. Might have to early morning practice session and then the pool!

Living in Houston you get used to the heat and humidity but its always a tough round July-August and most of September. I play in the mornings only at this time of year to beat the heat but the humidity is overbearing around 9:30 or 10:00 am. After the dew evaporates it feels pretty nice until the sun gets high in the sky. I only play and practice enough to stay sharp during this time of year. One or two rounds a month with a range session or indoor golf is enough until it cools off a bit.

With the current heat wave we have here in Chicago with temps in the mid 90s and heat indexes over 100, I'm staying inside because it's just too hot for me to play golf and enjoy the game. So, THP, how hot is to hot for you not to play golf this summer?
We had similar weather over the weekend. Played 36 on Friday plus 18 on Saturday and Sunday. Temps in the 90s aren’t a problem but the humidity was a killer. Heat index around 100. These conditions were very close to my max, especially for walking!

Wednesday forecast says 94* and I’ll be on the course by 3:00. Sure wish the sun umbrella (parasol?) was more masculine. :) Standing next to the sun is tough.

I haven’t experienced weather that was too hot to play. But I played on Saturday and it was hot enough that I was glad to be riding. Low 90s.

I don't not play golf, but I'm an idiot.

I've never skipped playing because of heat, but last Friday we had dew points in the deep red, really oppressive, and with storms about we cancelled the round, it never actually rained but I was kinda happy to miss playing, I would have been hallucinating out there.

Tough call. Usually it has to do with pace of play.

If it's 90+ and I am waiting on every hole, I would probably be super frustrated.

Tough call. Usually it has to do with pace of play.

If it's 90+ and I am waiting on every hole, I would probably be super frustrated.
If you hit over the group in front of you, you can jump them. I haven't looked that rule up, but it seems solid.

Too hot or too humid does not exist for me.

Mid 90's I'd say... too much over that and I may consider not playing. And then go play anyway

Passenger @golfinnut please pick up the white courtesy phone...

I love golfing in the heat and humidity...not too many people on the course. I walk and carry all the time and I played this last weekend in some pretty high temps (90+ with 85% humidity) and I loved it. Lots of water, and walking in the shade when possible and it was fine.

It’s been in the 90’s lately in Ohio but definitely not too hot to play. I think too hot is Arizona or Florida in the heat of summer when it is 100 degrees plus. No deal Howie.

Don't think I have ever not played because it was too hot.

Depends on humidity, cloud cover, and how desperate I am to play. But generally, 90 degrees is it. I also generally won't walk if it's above 80 or so. My daughter is pretty much the same unless she needs to play for some event. In central North Carolina, we consider July and August to be the off-season.

I played Carolina Sands at White Lake one Summer. It was 104 that day.

Back