How is your sand game?

Good enough to be assured of getting out, not good enough to be confident of getting up and down. Pretty good out of a fairway bunker though.

My sand game is typically not great...

However, I recently started trying to sit a bit lower and keeping my hands lower at address and it really has helped a bunch.

I have no issues. I don’t panic when I end up in one, either. When I was learning the game, I ended up in the bunkers more than not. I learned how to get out to try and save par. It took awhile, but I kept trying. Eventually, I got pretty good at it. (Mostly) Short side, long shot, etc… I make the shot that’s needed. Even last week, I had 2 terrible lies for approaching the green in some trees where the best option was to get it in the green side bunker. Did that, and got up and down. As well as 2 fairway bunkers from 135 and 150 respectively. Put both in the middle of the green.
It’s a matter of your headspace. If you get annoyed and po’d when you land in one, you may as well give up. Take it as a challenge you can overcome, not as an obstacle that will mess up your score.
Sure, I’ve clanked a few (okay, a lot) but I’m not playing for millions. I’ve also holed out my fair share as well.

I like everything he says and does here…

I'm a fat kid & fat kids don't like heat & sand reminds me of the beach which equals heat, therefore I try to avoid them.

I'm not that good but for the most part I'm out safely with a chance to two putt. I can't seem to play them the way the instructors say to. So I use a 64 degree wedge and pick the ball out with less speed instead of blasting it. It seems to punch out nicely and not too much roll out. I'll use less loft for the longer ones. So far its been working.

so funny story, i was afraid to hit near bunker because they are impossible. In fact, almost killing @JB was the only way to get out of a bunker...swing hard and pray. well took a trip to a nice course with great bunkers and watched some videos that allowed me to really understand how bunker shots work on trajectory and mechanics. Am I a sand bunker guru? no but I have gotten much better and more comfortable.

I just wanted to come back to this thread to reiterate that my sand game is rubbish.

Haven't made two bunker shots in a row, so my game is much better than last year in the bunker. :)

worst part of my game at the moment. I have no confidence in there. Its where my golf balls go to die.

That's how I felt since moving to Tucson, where very few courses have decent sand.
My bunker play has been improving lately since I've had a couple of lessons targeting that area of my game.

It better be good, because just about every course here is punched and sanded now..

Awful. Most bunkers I find are rock hard. The nice fluffy unicorn bunkers, where are they?
55ad771cadd713143b427c6b_golf-tours-news-blogs-local-knowledge-assets_c-2013-11-bunker-thumb-4...gif

When the wife and I play, if I'm in the sand and she is on the green, she'll say "Trade you the result". She knows I love hitting it close from the sand. I did get really rusty for awhile during COVID. Around here you couldn't practice any greenside chips, pitches or sand shots, and I wasn't in the sand much, but when I was the bunkers were in terrible shape and there were no rakes. Now that practice is back to normal, so is my sand play.

I'm fine out of fairway bunkers, though it takes a very different technique. Fairway bunkers you have to make sure you get ball then sand. Greenside bunkers you must get into the sand and under the ball. So, setup is very different.

I'm fine out of fairway bunkers. Unless the ball is up near the lip, I'll just use a hybrid or 7W and play a regular shot.

Greenside bunkers? I can get out but other than that, it's poor. It might have to do with the fact that the bunkers aren't well maintained on the course. They're rock hard. I think they use cement in them.

I've actually been on a pretty good run here this week. Hit probably the best sand shot of the year in league, leaving it 1 foot from a short sided pin. Played a swanky Nicklaus course yesterday that had a ton of bunkers so I got a good amount of practice. Greens were really slick so not all up/downs, even had to aim away from the pin on a couple, but I was pretty happy with my performance. Out of the traps anyways. :LOL:

Love the sand. Confident in it. Sometimes I’d rather be in it than I’m deep rough green side

My green side sand game is serviceable. At my home course, green side rough is absurdly thick, so if you’re missing the green you want to be in the bunker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's getting rusty. Haven't had many chances lately, so i need to get some time in on it. Target the greensides for a 9 this week maybe.

Also, I went bunker to bunker to bunker earlier this year and made par. I just wanted to share that because I just remembered how everyone was making fun of me and I still won the hole.

The bunkers at my home course are somewhat inconsistent. Meaning some have decent sand, some have about a 1/2" or less and others are hard pack with some stones for good measure. I very much dislike these and have been trying to pick them clean with varying success. We played the Warren course at Notre Dame the other week and while I found myself in a ton of bunkers greenside they had ample sand and it was like my sand game came alive for a day. I don't know if I'm decent out of the sand or not but I sure had more confidence and better results in bunkers that actually contained sand.

I need more work on bunkers with little sand or hard packed sand

I saw first hand today how @Hamfist handles bunkers.🤣🤣

Was 6/6 getting out of bunkers over the weekend. 3 were fairway bunkers from 60ish yards and I didn’t quite have the distance right, but executed how I wanted to. And put my 3 greenside sand shots onto or just off the putting surface. Very happy to feel comfortable in the sand again.

After the 26 bunkers I was in today, it’s still pretty lousy.

Back