How Many of us can Break 90 using only Irons, Wedges and a Putter

Breaking 90 shouldn't be a problem...think it just depends on the player and the tee box they play

Yep. In fact, it's the only times I've ever broke 90. They were on short courses (5900-6200). 4 iron on down and I'm set. I don't even need the 14 clubs.

I had a bad wrist injury going through a window in college. Severing all tendons that move the fingers on my right hand I played one handed. Shot 45/44 my first time out. Played from the red tees since I could only drive the ball about 150. With my 4 iron I can hit it about 220 of the tee so I’m thinking I could. Most the time I don’t hit driver because I’d rather be at 150-100 vs 30-75 yards from the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that I can break 90 without metals but not that I necessarily will.
In half of the trys, maybe?

Not often anymore. When the driver would go Bats**t for a while, I would switch to the 3 wood off the tee. When that failed, I used to just play the irons. At the time I was close to single digit HI, and usually shot in the mid-80s with just the irons. Of course those were the days when I hit the 3 iron about 220 yards. Now 200 with the 3 has me dancing, and I'm a really crappy dancer..

At 6500 yards or less, I could. I would just have to pick clubs to get me at good approach distances, so I suppose the lesson would be in course management.

I've broken 80 at 6100 yards w/out hitting driver (the ground was too frozen to put a tee far enough in the ground :ROFLMAO:)

I have a feeling I could break 90 relatively easily from the 6400 tees at my home course. Not sure about the 6750 tees - but i'm leaning toward no.

How long of a course are you talking here? I'd probably score better without the big sticks as long as not 7K yards.
Game the driving iron or long irons and aim for pars.

i think i would have a tough time....the driver is the best and most consistent club in my bag. would be cool to try though

I could.

With an F9/SpeedZone 4i off the tees, I could still navigate it from my preferred 6500 range.

With the trouble and OB that my driver gets me in to i bet it costs me 5 strokes a round so I think all iron round could yield under 90.

I start my irons at a 27* 6i. So for me I rely heavily on my driver and hybrids.

On the plus side I Game hollow body hybrid type irons so give me the 4 and 5 and I think I’d be in business using the 4 off the tee. With rollout and ability to tee it up I think I could get it out there 180-190.

I played a Robert Trent Jones course a couple years ago using a rental set of clubs. Driver was too low loft for me and the 3 and 5w I struggled with so I had to hit a 4i and 5i and surprised myself.

As long as I played the white tees which I normally do and my chipping is decent I think I could shoot high 80’s.

I played virtual golf at the range today (we have TopTracer Range). I played the forward tees with 7-iron on down and shot an 81...for whatever that is worth. :)

I bet @slimjim32 could break 80 with that set up.

I think I could, I would only have to ditch the driver since I hit a 17* utility iron instead of a 3 wood.

Considering I have my 18° Srixon Utility iron that I can use off the tee, I don't think it would be much of a problem off the yellow tees at my home club

Moving to the back white tees makes a big difference in yardage for a number of holes but I still think I could break 90 with irons

I think I could as long as I'm under 6,200 yards.

I could break 90 doing only irons if the course distance didn’t include any big forced carries off the tee.

At least I’m pretty confident haha. Two falls ago @OITW, @dwchockey13, me and I’m having trouble remembering our 4th for this one (sorry man. I think it was @tpluff ?) did a woods only and putter round and I shot 86 at the conservatory. So should be able to do it with irons and wedges.

I tried the iron only round this past summer when I got my new Apex CF-19's.
The longest club I hit was the 5 iron. I shot 81 on my home course.

Unless I'm playing "The Tips", it would not affect me too much. Under 6400 yards, that's my basic game anyway. I'd drop a few shots at 7000 but think I would still come in under 90.

I just watched this earlier. I have enough problems breaking 90 with a driver in my bag. I'll pass on that for now!

I did wonder how they black would hold up, was disappointed but not surprised to see it wearing after just 10 shots. Admittedly they were all sand shots, but still it would be nice to know the finish would last a bit longer. I imagine people buy black (and other colours) for the aesthetics and wearing so quick takes away from that.

I just watched this earlier. I have enough problems breaking 90 with a driver in my bag. I'll pass on that for now!

I did wonder how they black would hold up, was disappointed but not surprised to see it wearing after just 10 shots. Admittedly they were all sand shots, but still it would be nice to know the finish would last a bit longer. I imagine people buy black (and other colours) for the aesthetics and wearing so quick takes away from that.

another reason to buy black finished wedges (at least for non cobra and hogan clubs since they used a different finish) is because it’s super easy to strip off and make raw if you’re into the rusty wedge look.

Back