How Much Money Millennials Make in Every State

Oh hey, 13 years in my job and I don't hit my states number.

Why the f**k am I still doing this again?

Why the **** am I still doing this again?

Fun.

There is no way I am a millenial. Not at 44. I think this range is very skewed, almost like Gen X doesn't exist. :unsure:

1581346433076.png

Median household income though. Not per person.

Yeah the California number seems odd considering the cost of living. Hell I live about an hour inland from the beach and a 2 bdrm apartment where I'm at will still run you 1800+ unless you want to move in to a less than favorable area (WAY less in some cases.) Anywhere close to the beach... forget it.

ND is way up there too on that list. Must be all that oil money.

Yeah, 44 year olds are not millennial. Take out 34-44 year olds from that data set and I bet the numbers are even lower.
And massively. Management positions or even reaching lower C level positions start coming into play so much more in that age group, which would vastly increase the averages.

@Tevenor , I guess no one was born from '65 to '80. Where'd we come from?

And massively. Management positions or even reaching lower C level positions start coming into play so much more in that age group, which would vastly increase the averages.
Plus all of those unpaid internships that reimburse with "experience."

Interesting... My state, Utah, is doing ok. A lot of data is changing. I saw recently that Utah’s housing costs are now the 6th highest in the country and it never used to be that way.

The California number is kind of shocking to me, on several levels.

@Tevenor , I guess no one was born from '65 to '80. Where'd we come from?

It seems ever one has their own interpretation of the generations. I found that graphic funny because everyone talks about boomers and millenials but meanwhile, GenX just keeps plodding along.

What do 44 year olds have to do with millennials?

That's older than me and I'm am in no way a millennial.

Yep, misleading and I didn’t notice it when I posted. Millennials are now In that 23 to 39 range.

Wait, this study considers a Millenial born in 1971???? Well that's way off. I thought it was 1981 to 1996?

My argument is still valid.
Yes it is and I don't know. But I do know that I, and a bunch of other people, are grateful for the work you do here.

Oh crap, I didn't even see that part.....how do people do it?
One day at a time. That's how people do it. They do it one day at a time, while hoping their cars don't breakdown, and they don't get sick, and their kids don't get sick, and their parents don't get sick.

One day at a time. That's how people do it. They do it one day at a time, while hoping their cars don't breakdown, and they don't get sick, and their kids don't get sick, and their parents don't get sick.

Oh I get it. Grew up in a house hold like that, but luckily costs of living was super low. Now being a parent and stuff, I just wonder so often how many make it happen.

I would imagine that age range certainly makes the numbers look a bit more inflated than they probably are.

A complete shot in the dark here, but something that comes to mind is the "fly over states" offering more salary as a way to entice people to come live there. No data to back it up, just a thought.

What do 44 year olds have to do with millennials?

That's older than me and I'm am in no way a millennial.
The term millennial originally was coined to define those who graduated high school and joined the work force in the new millennium. (they typically use 1981 as the year). People get lazy with statistics. I read a book by an author who redefined millennials as being born in 1978 as she was born that year and claims to be a millennial. Funny how people choose a date that fits them.

I think you need to ask JB and GG for a raise....:D

Median household income though. Not per person.

I missed that originally, if I combine our salaries we don't do too bad based on the current exchange rate so I can't complain

Very interesting report. As a "millennial" I look at this map and feel as though I deserve more money for the work that I do......Just kidding, I don't need to feed into the narrative. As a Utah resident that seems a bit high but as a millennial who works in Finance I would assume the reason the median is a bit high for Utah is due to the influx of tech coming to Utah's aptly named "Silicon Slopes". As the Credit Union I work for built our new corporate office which is about five minutes from the "Silicon Slopes", we definitely had to look into putting amenities that would hopefully help persuade top tech employees to us instead of the slopes. Probably a lot more information than necessary but I do believe it is a major reason for Utah being $70K+.

On a side note, We really do call this area of town Silicon Slopes and it is widely known as that. Get ready people, Utah is coming into tech!

I would imagine that age range certainly makes the numbers look a bit more inflated than they probably are.

Of course they do. And of course taxes play can play just as much a role as actual wages. The discrepancy there is even larger than that of salary differences

As a x-ennial it's right on track, but also due to my line of work. My buddy assistant manages an Enterprise car sales and makes much more than I do (w/ less education and student loans lol), as do other trades/fields

It seems ever one has their own interpretation of the generations. I found that graphic funny because everyone talks about boomers and millenials but meanwhile, GenX just keeps plodding along.
Trust me, it's better for you that way.

Back