How much of household income is reasonable for a golf club membership?

How much of household income is reasonable for a golf club membership?

• <1%

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • 2-4%

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • 5-7%

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • 8-10%

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • >10%

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters

Ludin

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As the title states. How much of household income is reasonable for a golf club membership? Been something that has been on my mind and curious to see what everyone else's thoughts are on it.

I voted 2-4%, but I suspect votes will be all over the spectrum just as household income will be.

I’d say it varies depending on other factors/expenses in your life. If I’m rolling around single with limited expenses then I’d say 10%, my current situation (wife + 3 young kids) I’d go <5%.

R.3958da3f2c1646f52001e37913c9948b

Man, I'm in the wrong career field if $400-$500 a month is less than 5% of your monthly income.

Boys be loaded!
Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

My first membership when I was single it was 5-7% of my salary before tax. But golf is cheaper here

I selected 2-4 %. Seems like a good safe number

Nice try Mrs. robrandalgz.............................

I honestly have no idea.... whatever you are comfortable with? Up to 4% maybe..... calculating it against my measly salary lol.

I realize the amount I would pay may differ greatly from what others do. Golf is cheaper here,

Nice try Mrs. robrandalgz.............................
Wife and I can be a bit on the frugal side of things sometimes. Just curious how I stack up based on everyone's perception of a reasonable level. Hopefully this gives you and I both some ammo.

I said 5-7 because that’s technically what I’m being charged, but it’s more like 2-4 because I got 3 months free. And the wife is okay with it. There may be something to that it’s better to ask for forgiveness thing.

I voted 2-4%. I can’t get one in that range where I live. If my entire family played I think you could justify more of the household income. But for just me that would be too much.

Depends on debt to income and many other factors.

I'm in the more than 10% seems reasonable range because of how much time I use I get from the club. I don't think I've ever been to a club that would cost that much, but if it was the right place for me, I wouldn't have second thoughts.

I don't really have a percentage argument here. I look at money spent as a sunk cost by comparison to what I would spend elsewhere, and golf simply will not be something I am willing to skip out on for money savings.

I focus more on what it costs elsewhere locally for similar quality, and the choice for me is easy.

I’m honestly not sure. Not something that’s ever crossed my mind. I just know what my annual membership costs and it’s nowhere near these numbers.

Depends on debt to income and many other factors.
Said like a true banker. As a banker myself I am numb to numbers.

Wife and I can be a bit on the frugal side of things sometimes. Just curious how I stack up based on everyone's perception of a reasonable level. Hopefully this gives you and I both some ammo.
My club initiation dues were $2600 for the first year. In May when my renewal comes up it will be $180.00/month. Pretty reasonable for two courses (one of which is open year round in a cold climate area).

Said like a true banker. As a banker myself I am numb to numbers.
Haha but it's true. If you retired with a paid off house and no debt 10 percent would be fine but if your middle class or upper middle class with car payments and reoccurring bills then 15 is death. But yes I'm numb to numbers

I also think location plays a huge factor and what you are joining for. If it's simply for the golf to justify cost, joining a club in NE Ohio where I can't use it for 5-6+ months out of the year, technically makes the playing months doubled in cost unless they have activities you can partake in during the winter months. In a place like this, for me, it needs to be even less of my expenses per month than I could justify it if I was somewhere warmer where I could play more year round.

I've often pondered this one, but have no clue. So many courses here that there isnt a need for a membership.

I've often pondered this one, but have no clue. So many courses here that there isnt a need for a membership.

Same here. Years ago, I considered it. But the idea of playing one course when there are 60+ courses in the metroplex felt limiting.

But now that courses are jam packed all the time, it would be worth it to know I could get a tee time. The hard part for me is I just want to golf. I don't care about a pool, tennis courts or a bunch of amenities. I don't want to hang out at a club bar or feel like we need to go to the club restaurant to meet our food minimums....

So I'm probably not the right guy for a country club, lol.

I would say around 2-4% but I play on public courses where memberships are typically around $1k - $1500. That seems reasonable given the average household income is around $80k or so.

For me, I only play nine holes each week so I just pay as I go. Usually about $15 a round.

My perspective is how many others in the household partake in the benefits of it. That sways the number for me.

Back