• Rarely

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Never, they should be donating to me!

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters

AndersonRains

Reaction score
Handicap
Nearly everyday I go to Publix for lunch. Nearly everyday when I'm checking out they ask if I want to donate to their charity/foundation of choice that week. How often do you donate to such organizations?

Never. I have zero faith the money goes wherever it says it’s going.

Never ever never. I’m donating MY money, so they can donate it in their name for a huge tax write off. The whole thing feels disingenuous to me.

Never.

I'll control where my donations go. No idea where that money goes or what cut is taken out before.

Never ever never. I’m donating MY money, so they can donate it in their name for a huge tax write off. The whole thing feels disingenuous to me.
While I do not disagree, not every one of these is done the same way.
The Albatross Club is an example of that. Yes there are some tax write off implications, but its not nearly what people believe and its transparent on what goes.

Depends on the charity, and the options. I actually like the rounding up option, and do that fairly often.

There's a lot of misconceptions regarding large retailers having previously donated and then asking for money to fund that donation. Having spent time on the board of 501(c)(3) non-profit cancer foundation, who benefited from a donation from a large retailer, it was interesting to see how it works.

Typically, large retailers have their charities pre-planned, and make their donation. Then, when they run it at the register and ask to donate, that often determines the size of their NEXT donation, and will match what the shoppers donated.

if I want to donate, I will do so directly. I don’t like getting badgered to donate at every store I go to. I also don’t trust it’s going where they say it’s going, and I also don’t have time to look up the foundation at the register to see if it’s one of the good ones.

So never.

I donated at Publix yesterday, and got a sweet Minions reusable shopping bag. Win win.

I answered sometimes, but it’s almost always, especially when it’s a “round up” request at checkout. The pennies it costs me will have zero impact on my life, but those pennies will add up for a lot of good causes. And rarely is it a cause I just can’t stomach.

I answered sometimes, but it’s almost always, especially when it’s a “round up” request at checkout. The pennies it costs me will have zero impact on my life, but those pennies will add up for a lot of good causes. And rarely is it a cause I just can’t stomach.
Good point. I'm always a round-upper when asked.

I always am a round-upper at the grocery store

Rarely.

I prefer to make my donations directly to the groups/volunteers who are asking for the money, like Boy/Girl Scouts..... often in return for delicious cookies or candies.

It's not terribly often at a checkout do I donate.

I don't mind and do donate on my own time, but I do not make that decision based on a prompt at a checkout.

I also don't mind the 'round up' thing anywhere near as much. I'm typically cool with it for some reason.

I'm a fan of the round up method myself.

I also don't mind the 'round up' thing anywhere near as much. I'm typically cool with it for some reason.
I like round numbers.

Never. Well actually almost never. I donate to causes of my choice, not somebody else's.

I always add that additional dollar at Petsmart.

Only at Rite Aid pharmacy checkout where my loose change is given to St Jude's to make the final total an even dollar amount.

Almost always round up when asked.

Very rarely, and only if I have an idea of the charity and where the money actually goes.

Back