How often do you take driver off the tee?

This thread got me thinking. I need to do a side by side comparison on the range between my 3i, 3w, and driver. I think I will take 14 shots with each club and rotate hitting 1 shot per club at a time and switching (to try and keep from getting into a groove with one club). I need to use the distance markers on the range to create an imaginary fairway and keep track of what would be misses, and how bad. Doing so should help me better manage my game on the course by sticking with a club I perform best with and will likely limit my use of the driver. I have no idea right now if my misses with the 3 wood overall are better than with the driver. Maybe using it more often would keep me in the fairway more often while still hitting the ball a decent distance.

More than I should. My normal group on the weekends plays from the middle tees, so I end up on several par 4s with less than a full shot into a green, and I am not a half swing type guy. There's a couple holes where water comes into play with the driver, so I use a fwy wood, but I need to start thinking about my next shot, too. 120 is a lot more comfortable than 80.

Most often I'm pulling my driver out on every par 4 and 5. I'm lucky if I drive the ball 220 yards with a tailwind so I need every advantage I can get... unless it's a dogleg. I'll try to get my ball to the center of the dogleg and have an iron shot to the green. Hopefully.

8 holes on my home course, although the driver on #18 is more of a 3/4 swing stinger

I used to hit driver on almost every par 4 and 5. Lately i have been going of the tee with 3 wood just to get more Golfshot tracking for yardage purposes. I am making some of my best scores now and my hc has dropped by 1 shot.

Just about every single time. Even if I know it's a bad idea I just can control myself!

I take driver when I need to. What I mean by that is that I want to be between 100-150 yards for my 2nd shot into a par 4. If you take a short par 4 for example, I may take driver on that hole if I have a chance to get to far enough down where I could have a short pitch or chip into the green. I should probably take driver less and try other clubs, but to be honest I feel right now that I hit my driver as well as any other longer club I would take off the tee. All this basically says is I need more lessons.

I don't just pull the big dog on every par 4/5, but unless its a narrow fairway, I'm pulling it on any hole over 330 that's not a narrow fairway or a par 3 playing 230+.

Last edited:
Course management was a big thing I worked on last season. I struggle mightily from between 40-70 yards. I just don't have that great of touch. So if it is a shorter Par 4 and I know I can't get greenside I lay back and give myself a full wedge of my choosing.

I was a player last season who took driver off many par 4,5. This year I have yet to hit many, I need to play better course management so far it's working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit the driver most of the time. But....I will leave it in the bag if there is trouble around my typical landing zone. (dogleg, bunkers, water, etc...)
If it's a short par 4 and I have no chance of reaching the green with the driver, I will use a club to get to a good number.

I use driver every chance I get because I am old and sadly need the distance, 200 to 220 yards. However I don't carry a three or 4 wood because I can hit my 9.5 Big Bertha 460 Launcher off the deck with no problem. Next longest club is my 4 iron.
This may change after I start to hit practice balls again to see where I am at after recovering from injuries.

Does anyone else find that some times it's just best to play for your worst swing?
By that I mean that sometimes I hit driver just because if I miss with the driver I hit a mid/low hook that goes about 175-200 depending on the time of year and usually ends up in the left rough. Not good, but playable. If I miss with a 4 or 5 iron off the tee I'm usually scrambling for bogey right off the hop.

Right or wrong, I hit driver quite often for this reason.

It varies for me depending on how confident I am that day with the driver.

My driver's carry distance is only 200 meters , 210 max. Of course I need my drivers frequently .... I even bring two drivers ^_^

Almost every single hole in every instance because I don't have much distance.

About 5 times a round on my home course

6-11 times at home course depending on tees and how I am feeling.

In general I hit driver until I have a reason not to. My home course doesn't give me a ton of reasons not to except absurdly narrow fairways so when raining and they haven't mowed the rough in 2 weeks then I don't use it much.

I try to base it off of the length of the hole 400 yards or more I take Driver 375-400 is 3W 350-375 is 5W anything under that it depends on how the hole plays.

If it's a Par 5, I decide if it's reachable in two or if the risk weighs the reward.

On my home course, I don't need driver at all - typically will only use it 3-5x a round and that's being aggressive

Hole and course dependent but average 5-6 times per round.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As much as I can. I actually really like hitting driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much more than I should

Sent from HTX

Every chance I get. However, reading this thread is thought provoking and someone mentioned playing to 8i distance. That's my favorite club and will be something I look in to. Never stop learning.

I freaking love these bumps.

I'm very much a 3w/HW getting about half of the tee-shots guy now. All about hole distance, I know that just because I can rip a driver down there, doesn't mean I need to.

Back