Hypothetical question

At least a year, probably more. If I'm fit for everything, and my game isn't getting way better or way worse, then the fit is probably going to be good for 2-3 years imo.

Let’s say you go a THP experience that involves a full fitting, full bag of clubs the works.. by the very best in the industry at it.

how long are you going to commit to said equipment before making any changes?

I say, if I “hypothetically” 😉 getting fit by the best. I am not changing it. I am going to roll with it for a while. Let’s say at least a year..
I'm going at least 1 year and probably only upgrade anything I think is a substantial upgrade in the next couple of cycles.

I've been using the same, accurate swing specs, and clubs for several decades. I get checked every couple +/- of years. My swing just hasn't changed that much. The clubs still work.

I've used different clubs during that time, but they still fit my swing specs.

Many year,s I know it's not the norm around here, but not much of a club hoe. If I had clubs built for me by the best, I don't think my eyes would wander too much.

It will be a good long time, the set of clubs I have in the bag now are as solid as I've ever had from top to bottom and I can't see any reason to change. I think that currently, the only real gains to be made are through lessons and practice rather than new gear. Admittedly that's not a true internet golfer thing to say, and may well change but that's my current thoughts.

Is it a full bag of clubs from the same manufacturer? If so, the idea that it’s unlikely 1 OEM has the best equipment for me in every category would start to play on my mind pretty quickly…

If you are being fitted by the best in the industry, I would see no reason to change for a very long time unless your swing changes drastically
If you play enough to wear out wedges, then I would say that is fair to replace them with new ones, and the same with grips, but to change everything else just for the sake of changing is not something I would personally entertain

I'll commit to 1 year without changes just to make sure - likely it'll be a lot of that stuff for 3-5 years I would assume that most of it would stay in the bag.

I was lucky enough to get some clubs last year and I have made some changes to some but overall 75% of those clubs are still in play.

Im not a big believer in hard and fast rules in stuff like this. I also understand why its discussed. It is something we talk about with companies though. It is never a time frame. In fact I don't think that has ever come up. Anybody we do an event with, is going to be pretty transparent though. Its what we believe in. They want a shot at what comes next in your bag. They would never demand that you are brand loyal forever, but they do ask for a shot.

Don't be this guy though. Don't ditch your clubs shortly thereafter by selling what you got for free. Don't nag someone you met at the experience for tour issue heads or special specs, only to completely blow off the brand on purpose in your next WITB. To me that is an event killer and is a pretty special kind of selfish.

Be normal, give someone that gave you a chance, a chance again and if it works, awesome.

And just as important, be present. Obviously I am a bit closer to this than most.

Im not a big believer in hard and fast rules in stuff like this. I also understand why its discussed. It is something we talk about with companies though. It is never a time frame. In fact I don't think that has ever come up. Anybody we do an event with, is going to be pretty transparent though. Its what we believe in. They want a shot at what comes next in your bag. They would never demand that you are brand loyal forever, but they do ask for a shot.

Don't be this guy though. Don't ditch your clubs shortly thereafter by selling what you got for free. Don't nag someone you met at the experience for tour issue heads or special specs, only to completely blow off the brand on purpose in your next WITB. To me that is an event killer and is a pretty special kind of selfish.

Be normal, give someone that gave you a chance, a chance again and if it works, awesome.

And just as important, be present. Obviously I am a bit closer to this than most.
I still find it hard to believe that someone could have the nerve to do this after what they had access to and what they were provided by a company
Personally, I feel that being fit by the best should give someone clubs they could potentially use for years, so to turn around after an event and make money off it is disgusting

I understand that not everyone plays the same amount of golf, so it could be difficult to put a timeframe on something like this, but I would definitely look at the same company again when I did look at replacing anything and give the newer gear a chance at making it into my bag

At minimum it should be 1yr or a full golfing season. The initial feedback is great, but longer term provides a better understanding of the equipment and makes for easier/better engagement back to the community.

One year, that is how long I played my Hogan experience irons

I'm not ready to commit to a full set of clubs!

I just had a full bag fitting and got the clubs mid July. By the time the clubs arrived I'd changed my driver swing to hit a 12.5 rather than a 14 degree loft.
I changed my course management when I'm on the fringe. The fitting suggested I was adding too much loft with my putting stroke for a good roll.
I realized I could use that effectively to putt from the fringe instead of pulling the 60* lob wedge to make a green side out of sticky grass.
Sometimes it comes out short but that is better than rolling to the other side of the green for an even worse lie against the fringe.
Not needing the 60* I realized I could really use a 58/6 and put one together myself since they don't come in Ladies Flex.

Similarly I wasn't getting enough distance out of my 11W and my 7I was checking up on the greens superbly. Out with the 11W and in with a Heavenwood (7W). :rolleyes:

Then I figured I could hit a draw just as easily as a fade. Now I could hit drives with a roll whenever I wanted!
That gave me a lot of confidence and now my driver was great club in the bag. I took it out most of last year to learn course management.

With all the confidence I put some weight shift into my golf swing. I saw immediate and significant distance gains.
That was taken out because I'm a stroke survivor with ataxia and coordination issues on my entire right side.
Because of all my rehab I have unusually good perception of how I move my body.
Next year I'm going to see how much distance I can get putting everything together.

If I got fit by the OEM (company), it would be years before I would tinker as I know my past self-fitting nature is not always right and can’t come close to a professional. My guess is that all my tools are just not the best fit.

After a fitting, I could only see changing after a couple of years if physically (health) or injury arose where I could not swing the clubs as originally fit. Having never been professionally fit, I would relish and embrace their choices. In my case, it is time to put ego aside and trust the professional.

You’re probably going to see or hear about some stuff that might not be available while you are there and nobody will blame you if you are first in line to place an order.
This is the part that makes it tough. You get some of this information early that gets you all excited, making it harder to give the current clubs a longer run.

Definitely at least 1 year. Wedges would likely be the first to be upgraded since I use them so much and they receive the most wear and tear.

I'm generally not one to keep switching for the next new thing until I feel I really need to, and I love the clubs I received at an Experience this year (Edel Quest). So until I'm selected for another Experience, a very long time. ;)

I guess I'm kind of different in the way I look at it... let's say I win something I wanted. Not golf related. It's free and shipped to my house. I'll use that and be thankful it was free for a while. A while is until it breaks or I replace it. Let's say a year.

Winning something like what you're describing from THP is different. A full bag fitting from the best fitters, great OEM support and equipment? I'm going to feel obligated to use that for a while. A while being years. And years. And years.

And to be honest, I'd kind of feel bad doing that because... I wouldn't be able to use my 3W. It's not fitted to me, or anything like that but I did buy it with a gift card I won from THP. And I feel bad honestly because I also bought a wedge at the same time... and that wedge just doesn't work for me so I'm not using it.

Wow, I am still playing and loving the TourEdge Exotics EXS220 Driver I won in 2020. I plan on playing my Cleveland Launcher XL Halos for years as those clubs suit my present game. I wish Cleveland had a contest for clubs.

I have a feeling I'll be the opposite. I'll be rocking the full OEM bag like a boss. :cool:

They’ll be antiques when I’m finished with them.

I’d probably be playing everything for at least 2-3 years assuming I didn’t get into any other evens. Maybe there would be that odd club I didn’t get along with that only lasted a year but in general I’d try and use it for a long time if it was fit to me

I feel like it should be at least until the next release cycle for whatever you got fit for.

I'm cheap so it would likely be longer for me since i'm sure getting fit at a THP experience you are getting top notch service so getting large gains on next years releases isn't that likely.

I‘ve been getting asked this question by friends and playing partners the last few weeks.

My answer is that I will never get rid of my Morgan Cup clubs. They will be a constant reminder, memento and trophy of the event.

I’m certain that many of them will stay in my gamer bag for a long time before eventually getting retired, but never forgotten.

My Cobra LTDx 3 wood is the best I’ve ever had. Not eager to part with it anytime soon.

Back