1642384580638.jpeg

for many of my early years in software sales, this is how we did sales and tech presentations. It’s why we now call PowerPoint presentations “slide decks”.

Personally, I always hated Scantron.

And liked the smell of paper handed out that was fresh off the mimeograph.:D

Ew. Flashbacks.

View attachment 9060401
Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt

I remember many hours spent trying to blast pixelated ducks out of the sky. That’s not the original zapper though. The original was grey. Pretty sure they had to make it orange a few years later b/c toy guns had to be that orange color.

Very cool seeing these and I'm in my 30s... My grandfather turns 100 on Thursday, I could only imagine the stuff he would post. Looking forward to more stories!

To think of all the hours and hours I spent/wasted transferring vinyl to cassette so I could listen to what I wanted in my car. Cue the song, lift up the tone arm, get ready to push the buttons on the cassette deck, then listen to the ENTIRE song, push pause. Get another album and repeat.....now it's click and done!
View attachment 9060361

I spent thousands of hours recording vinyl to cassette. I was so fascinated with audio gear that after college I made it my career for a decade when I started working for Best Buy in 1988 when they had only 44 stores. I still have some of my audio equipment from 30+ years ago and some old car amplifiers that are still going strong from 1994. How many remember having a 10 disc CD changer in the trunk of their car long before the iPod was invented in 2001?

33E83808-5A76-4392-A1E5-DD4BB8A6D79B.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember many hours spent trying to blast pixelated ducks out of the sky. That’s not the original zapper though. The original was grey. Pretty sure they had to make it orange a few years later b/c toy guns had to be that orange color.

Oh yea. I had both.

Best selling car the year I graduated from high school.

A33E5B1E-DF8D-4925-97DF-4DF0B17A7279.jpeg

532426D1-DEF9-4930-B2C5-741B5E43ADC6.jpeg
I remember my parents buying the Rainbow vacuum from a door to door salesman. The faux wood grain was worth an extra Benjamin

Last edited:
My wife is a teacher. She said they still use them. Some of the teachers in her department only test on them. Lazy.

My memories of this go a little deeper than probably most of you. Sure I remember the SAT and other tests conducted using these cards. But I was also into computer programming in high school and college back in the '70s, which was done on mainframes from companies like IBM, Burroughs, Sperry Univac, and DEC. Programming and data input was done on cards like the one shown, punch cards, or paper tape.

Some of those mainframes still had core memory. Matrices of intersecting wires with a small donut-shaped magnet straddling the intersecting wires to store a single bit.

View attachment 9060413

for many of my early years in software sales, this is how we did sales and tech presentations. It’s why we now call PowerPoint presentations “slide decks”.

My first computer programme was loaded into the computer with these....

Used_Punchcard_(5151286161).jpg

and I spent a number of years using this stuff (as any magnetic media would have been destroyed by the environment we were working in...

170px-Papertape-Wikipedia-example-dark1.svg.png

Don't feel old at all though :D

A

We were listening to xm channel 10 sitting part of our drive, it was playing the top 30 songs that week of 2007 with random factoids. That'll make you feel old in a hurry as well.

The first commercially available hand held cell phone, the Motorola DynaTAC 8000x, was released the year I graduated from high school for a huge sum of $3,995($9,952 in 2020 dollars). As a comparison, a brand new Ford Mustang had a MSRP of $9,449 that year.

It was the ultimate status symbol for the rich at the time. Coverage was super spotty and battery life was good for 30 minutes of talk time(10 hours to charge) which would cost you over $1 per minute or about $2.50 per minute in todays dollars. When I started selling them at Best Buy in the late 1980’s the price had dropped to about $600 but talk time was still $1 per minute and texting was still a long ways from being a thing.

764CC20C-B952-47FE-9F21-2F408CE6D378.jpeg

Last edited:
I still remember their spiel before doing it.

#2 pencil only
Completely fill out the bubble
stay within the bubble
If you erase your answer erase it completely

Back