I sometimes skim threads, this is my story

;TLDR

I skim. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes not.
If a question is posed in a thread in the first post, I will typically respond answering that question without reading the thread. Sometimes it could be 3 or 4 posts, sometimes 10 pages that I am behind.

Sometimes I skim because I am so far behind, and want to see what is going on right now. Like in an event thread, or in the Happy Thread when someone is saying Happy Monday, but it is actually Happy Friday.

Sometimes I skim because I am at work, and read too fast and miss things.

Sometimes I skim because I have 30 threads open at the same time, and am trying to pay attention to everything, everywhere, all at once.

I don't go into a thread and immediately intend to ignore all the responses. Sometimes in an AMA I want to ask a question and just rip to the bottom to ask it..... it happens ok.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Yeah, I'm not in the "you will read every post in the thread before posting your question or comment" camp.

If I have a question, I'm going to ask it - but - I will also say that because of all of the "you're a skimmer" and other negative comments I've seen directed at others I've also drastically reduced my posts.
I've never seen anyone genuinely upset about skimmers.

I wouldnt say upset would be the right word. More, annoyed, by skimmers. We all do it on occasion, but some threads (off topic ones) it's not a big deal. But, in the equipment thread, having someone ask the same question time and time again, when the info has already been shared numerous times, it's just annoying.

I don't think anyone gets "genuinely upset," but there will be a few posts after "skimmer" and then a few inside jokes, that some might not like. not me....i love all the ribbing I get

I believe the main skimmers that get shamed are the ones the don't read JB's original post in a food question threads about how if you going say "it's not healthy" or "this one is better" or something similar.
"Pick three."

"Here are my four answers."

If it's confession time I sometimes skim (but always read the first page), divots don't bother me (they is what they is), like 14 slot bags (better than my guys fighting for space down low), and don't even know what DTC means.

If it's confession time I sometimes skim (but always read the first page), divots don't bother me (they is what they is), like 14 slot bags (better than my guys fighting for space down low), and don't even know what DTC means.
Direct to Consumer brands.

Thanks!... I can join the bandwagon against them at lease some of the time.
Meh, not a fan, I think they do very little for golf.

Admittedly only read the first few lines because I don't have time to dip into a novel at work. That said, I don't think we dislike DTC vendors at all. I'd say it's the opposite actually. What we don't like are DTC vendors that slap a logo on an item they ordered from a catalog and market it as some world-altering new technological advancement. Transparency is everything.

Also, 14-way is the only way for a cart bag.

Interesting topic and discussion.

Skimming. For me at least, I do not have the time to read every post. I try to be efficient and stay at least somewhat up to date, but that is as good as I can do. I work hard (big job) and have a busy family and active lifestyle. This level of online engagement has downsides. I fully admit that I miss details and much of the witty banter and innuendo escapes me, sometimes to the point where I misunderstand the context and can get temporarily off base. Slow horse fits. I own it. :geek:

I have enjoyed THP for many years and value the community here. THP has been a golf partner for me from the day I took up this crazy game. This place is important to me. I prioritize the equipment reviews and talk and love seeing THPers get into events and have impossibly amazing experiences. For my part, I THP as best I can.

Admittedly only read the first few lines because I don't have time to dip into a novel at work. That said, I don't think we dislike DTC vendors at all. I'd say it's the opposite actually. What we don't like are DTC vendors that slap a logo on an item they ordered from a catalog and market it as some world-altering new technological advancement. Transparency is everything.

Also, 14-way is the only way for a cart bag.

How dare you!

Reads my own OP

Oh, right

IMG_0959.jpeg
4 pages already? Damn I need to skim this to find out the consensus

Back