I wonder if I'm just supposed to be using super improvement player irons?

If you found my comments regarding lessons and instructors bothersome, that was far from being my intention. I do not disagree with you or @JB. It's just that I've been where you now are, and I've gone down that road of buying this SGI set and that SGI set over and over again. Yes, clubs can help. Yet, they cannot take a 7i carry distance of 110 yards and change it to a carry distance of 135. Only a proper swing can accomplish that goal.

I do think people snap to “go take lessons”
The reason people answered you that way is because you expressed a desire to hit better shots and, or, shoot lower scores. Most anyone who plays better golf, and certainly a Tour pro, would suggest to you lessons/practice.
Equipment company employees, retailers, fitting shop employees etc... are in business to make sales so this group suggests buying new equipment.

If you found my comments regarding lessons and instructors bothersome, that was far from being my intention. I do not disagree with you or @JB. It's just that I've been where you now are, and I've gone down that road of buying this SGI set and that SGI set over and over again. Yes, clubs can help. Yet, they cannot take a 7i carry distance of 110 yards and change it to a carry distance of 135. Only a proper swing can accomplish that goal.
All good man. I said it twice in my last post that they didn’t bother me and I genuinely appreciate all the thoughts. Truly. Thinking less is already something that has helped, but I got really only one response that I was truly asking for. A similar handicap who actually bought sgi and they helped him tremendously. I do wonder if there are others out there where equipment buys did help make things click. And to jbs point the answer there shouldn’t be “lessons would help most”.

But we’re already beating this into the ground. Thanks for the responses ALL!

The reason people answered you that way is because you expressed a desire to hit better shots and, or, shoot lower scores. Most anyone who plays better golf, and certainly a Tour pro, would suggest to you lessons/practice.
Equipment company employees, retailers, fitting shop employees etc... are in business to make sales so this group suggests buying new equipment.
I’m sure they would but there’s also a reason why they use the equipment they do. And are OFTEN switching out things in their equipment.

Not sure what your point means as it relates to sales? Golf instructors are also in the business to make money on lessons.

Golf instructors are also in the business to make money on lessons.

It's true. But I expect that if you asked Tour pros what percentage of a well struck shot is related to swing technique versus equipment , my guess is that the average answer
from that highly skilled group would be 95% swing technique, 5% equipment.* this assumes a player is using equipment produced during the past 20 years.
So the lessons (swing technique/practice )component is the overwhelming contributor to improving quality of shots.

It's true. But I expect that if you asked Tour pros what percentage of a well struck shot is related to swing technique versus equipment , my guess is that the average answer
from that highly skilled group would be 95% swing technique, 5% equipment.* this assumes a player is using equipment produced during the past 20 years.
So the lessons (swing technique/practice )component is the overwhelming contributor to improving quality of shots.
That might be the case, although I think very few would agree with your 20 year comment. I know enough about you DG to know you're big time old school. I don't actually think many pros would be in the 5% category on a 20 year iron. If that was the case they'd all be using older irons that they've shot best with in the past. Tiger ain't playing his same irons that he was back in the early 2000's when he was killing it. VERY few are. That aside...

I think my stated goals and the information I gave did get ignored in some facets. What a pro would recommend is honestly just not that relevant to me. My goal is to have a 17-18 handicap right now. I've taken lessons. I wrongly stated 13 earlier and changed that to 11. I have taken lessons. $1000 worth, so it led me to an equipment question. Hmm I wonder if my iron game would be better with SGI cause I can make better contact.

Again another contextual point I used that has largely been ignored. When I made an equipment change from a 56 wedge to a 37 degree chipper, my short game got at least 100% better. It had nothing to do with lessons, I legit cut down somewhere between 5-10 strokes in my game with that equipment change. My driver that I bought new...not as much. I'm not even sure I could say I've gained a stroke with it.

I'm not sure why some tell every person asking about clubs, to go get lessons. That is like answering elephant when asked about favorite dog breed.
I don't see many doing that for every person seeking advice about club selection, just those who appear to believe club selection will cure all or most of what ails their game when it seems clear the problem is fundamental swing issues. So I look it it more like people telling somebody they don't need a new car when the problem is low windshield washer fluid :)

In this case I zeroed-in on comments such as "My weakness is literally contact. I just struggle to make clean contact with any of my clubs on a full swing...," "72% of my approaches are short and it's almost always due to a fat shot...," and "I feel good about knowing what I SHOULD be doing. But it's [a lot], and for whatever reason I just can't seem to execute the steps I've been given consistently when it comes to irons in particular."

I'm new at this, myself, so of course I could easily be wrong, but I don't see how new clubs are going to fix what looks like a deeply-flawed swing.

Mind you: I'm the last person to be suggesting one shouldn't buy new clubs if that's what they want to do. Flawed swing across the board (except chipping) and my driver swing breaking down completely: I still went out and bought a new driver and new woods at the end of last season, and just the other day added a new hybrid to my bag.

What a pro would recommend is honestly just not that relevant to me. My goal is to have a 17-18 handicap right now.

You think a Tour pro could not prescribe a good sense strategy to get a 28 handicap player to become a 17 handicap ?

You think a Tour pro could not prescribe a good sense strategy to get a 28 handicap player to become a 17 handicap ?
That's definitely not what I said. I think some pros could for sure, but I don't think stating what 95% of pros would recommend is a great idea. You like to use these statistics quite often DG, and I just don't know if that's true. I don't know that 95% of pros would ignore equipment entirely if it was within 20 years.

That's definitely not what I said. I think some pros could for sure, but I don't think stating what 95% of pros would recommend is a great idea. You like to use these statistics quite often DG, and I just don't know if that's true. I don't know that 95% of pros would ignore equipment entirely if it was within 20 years.

Forget Tour pros. I expect that if you asked the top 3 players at your home course they would reply that 95% of quality shot making is swing technique-practice related and 5% equipment.

Forget Tour pros. I expect that if you asked the top 3 players at your home course they would reply that 95% of quality shot making is swing technique-practice related and 5% equipment.
Dg you're bickering on a point that is just largely irrelevant. I've not stated ANYWHERE that I don't think quality shot making is swing technique or practice related. In fact I agree, I think swing technique and practice are VERY important. It's just not what I was asking about in my OP. I'm ok with talking about swing technique and practice, but it really isn't what I was trying to make this post about. I understand the importance of it. 95% is just some total speculative % that your making up though. I just don't know what to do with that.

Do you know what your angle of attack is? If you tend to hit it fat, and you're steep, something with a wider sole may work well for you. If you're shallow and struggle with low point control, you might have a harder time with something with a wider sole. A few guys at my home course are very good golfers in their own right, but play SGI irons because they're really steep into the ball and the soles help them out.

Yes, technique is obviously important and that's the route to continued decrease in handicap, but like @JB said, you can't just dismiss the benefits of equipment if it fits your swing.

Do you know what your angle of attack is? If you tend to hit it fat, and you're steep, something with a wider sole may work well for you. If you're shallow and struggle with low point control, you might have a harder time with something with a wider sole. A few guys at my home course are very good golfers in their own right, but play SGI irons because they're really steep into the ball and the soles help them out.

Yes, technique is obviously important and that's the route to continued decrease in handicap, but like @JB said, you can't just dismiss the benefits of equipment if it fits your swing.
YAY! This is what I'm looking for. My flight monitor doesn't show angle of attack, but I have a membership at x golf. I just have no idea what kind of attack angle I'd be looking for on lets say a 7 iron? That's the only way I'd be able to figure this out is with a flight monitor correct?

My guess is i'm probably shallow and struggle with low point control, but I don't know? This is great feedback. I can definitely get some numbers on monday.

Ive genuinely appreciated the large net of feedback that has come, but this isn’t exactly true. The OP is very specific about the equipment. Just see the thread title alone. They’re in bold in fact. Someone shouldn’t have to say “I don’t want to take lessons” as a disclaimer to not get that response. Jb’s point is very true and his analogy is pretty spot on.

But again I’m truly ok with all the opinions and thoughts. They’ve been helpful. But I do agree with JB. I do think people snap to “go take lessons, save that money here and instead go take lessons”
I'll answer this part for myself only. When I see that you are hitting a 5i 110 and a 7i 50-60 yards short of your ideal number I infer that your swing is substantially off, more off than we can reasonably expect forgiving irons to substantially change. Forgiving irons can help but there's a limit to what club technology can do. I say / think this about myself too - my swing variation is greater than what the technology can fix.

Others have talked about wider soles, how they can benefit you and why. I agree with all that. Buying new stuff is fun, too. Go for it. I'm just not sure you should expect the new clubs to be transformational.

Reactions: JB
YAY! This is what I'm looking for. My flight monitor doesn't show angle of attack, but I have a membership at x golf. I just have no idea what kind of attack angle I'd be looking for on lets say a 7 iron? That's the only way I'd be able to figure this out is with a flight monitor correct?

My guess is i'm probably shallow and struggle with low point control, but I don't know? This is great feedback. I can definitely get some numbers on monday.

What do your divots look like? If when you chunk the ball, are you taking a ton of turf? That might be better way to think about it rather than thinking about numbers.

IIRC you want a positive number with driver and a negative number with irons. That's a decent starting point.

I'll answer this part for myself only. When I see that you are hitting a 5i 110 and a 7i 50-60 yards short of your ideal number I infer that your swing is substantially off, more off than we can reasonably expect forgiving irons to substantially change. Forgiving irons can help but there's a limit to what club technology can do. I say / think this about myself too - my swing variation is greater than what the technology can fix.

Others have talked about wider soles, how they can benefit you and why. I agree with all that. Buying new stuff is fun, too. Go for it. I'm just not sure you should expect the new clubs to be transformational.
Was NEVER suggesting they would help with a 5i that's going 110 or a 7i that is 50-60 yards short. Those are bad shots, but I'm not sure what I said to indicate this? Maybe this is my fault.

My good irons often come up about 20 yards shorter than they "should". I hate to use should cause I already know how I'm about to get blasted on that, but bottom line is when I'm in a groove, in tempo hitting into my net or range, I can get some pretty consistent 7i action in that 130-140 carry range. I hit the course and OFTEN that 7i is roughly 20 yards short my divot starts slightly behind the ball and I can tell it hit it just a LITTLE fat.

Which leads us full circle back to the OP. I wonder if a little extra bump that I would get on an sgi would've given me back that 10-20 yards?

YES I understand if I just hit it clean, took more lessons etc I could also get that 10-20 yards back, but...when I'm not perfect do I gain it...?

What do your divots look like? If when you chunk the ball, are you taking a ton of turf? That might be better way to think about it rather than thinking about numbers.
No i wouldn't say I'm ever making some pro like divot if that's what you mean. I definitely have some divots after the ball, but I can tell on the majority of them i'm hitting like 1/2" or so a little too early and that's when it shaves about 10-20 yards. That's where my question truly comes in...I wonder if that sgi would've given me that yardage back.

And then of course at a 30 handicap I just have some HORRIBLE tops, or chunks, but I realize sgi's aren't going to help me there and that is technique practice etc.

Was NEVER suggesting they would help with a 5i that's going 110 or a 7i that is 50-60 yards short. Those are bad shots, but I'm not sure what I said to indicate this? Maybe this is my fault.

My good irons often come up about 20 yards shorter than they "should". I hate to use should cause I already know how I'm about to get blasted on that, but bottom line is when I'm in a groove, in tempo hitting into my net or range, I can get some pretty consistent 7i action in that 130-140 carry range. I hit the course and OFTEN that 7i is roughly 20 yards short my divot starts slightly behind the ball and I can tell it hit it just a LITTLE fat.

Which leads us full circle back to the OP. I wonder if a little extra bump that I would get on an sgi would've given me back that 10-20 yards?

YES I understand if I just hit it clean, took more lessons etc I could also get that 10-20 yards back, but...when I'm not perfect do I gain it...?
Its all good man. I feel like I've walked in your shoes. I remember an instructor telling me my biggest problem was the space between my ears because I thought too much. Anyway, wider soles with weight low and back can help with impact and depending on your contact point on the club face for misses they could also reasonably be expected to add some distance via ball speed retention. Best of luck and enjoy your new sticks!

Since I'm not familiar with Gigagolf irons, I did a search and found them. They're Ping G30 knockoffs, which is a GI iron from 2015 that was known for its forgiveness and ease of launch. I don't know anything about the quality of Gigagolf's clubs, but if they're reasonably accurate reproductions of the G30s, you already have a decent set of GI irons. Has technology advanced in the last 6 years since they were released? Sure it has. Has it advanced enough for new clubs to make a difference in your game? Only you can discover that, by demoing some newer clubs and seeing what, if any, benefits there are for you.

For reference, here are the two clubs in question, side by side:

GIga.png Ping.png

Not many answered your question. Your typical response to a possible equipment change to improve on most golf forums will be to get lessons. I do recommend the HB Turbos having demo'd them. I am not familiar with the prior gen Launcher HB. My ball striking improved greatly once I got into the Cleveland HB3's. It's not perfect. But, I no longer slice or top the ball. If cost is a concern, maybe these Pinemeadows will be ok.

Also, Callaway has a new Max ball that will help beginning golfers. It's ok to get help through equipment.

Last edited:
Since I'm not familiar with Gigagolf irons, I did a search and found them. They're Ping G30 knockoffs, which is a GI iron from 2015 that was known for its forgiveness and ease of launch. I don't know anything about the quality of Gigagolf's clubs, but if they're reasonably accurate reproductions of the G30s, you already have a decent set of GI irons. Has technology advanced in the last 6 years since they were released? Sure it has. Has it advanced enough for new clubs to make a difference in your game? Only you can discover that, by demoing some newer clubs and seeing what, if any, benefits there are for you.

For reference, here are the two clubs in question, side by side:

View attachment 8995642 View attachment 8995643

Yesterday the OP wrote about his having a new set of Cobra Speed zone irons. I don't know if this model is considered SGI.

cobra speedzone.jpg

How much time per week do you spend making swings, either at home or a driving range ?
Also, you've written "it's alot" in reference to what your instructor and, or, other people have given you to think about. This is wrong. A competent instructor will give you nothing to "think about" during the swing.

I tend to agree with DG but let me put a few different angles on it that have helped me in my 30 years of golf

1- I've taken both group and personal lessons early in my golf days. Back in that day, I was single and played a ton of golf and hit a ton of balls. After years of that an 87 was the best I could do and it had nothing to do with clubs; trust me on that one. For every day I shot 87, I had 3 days where I dug dirt most of the round

2- About 5 years ago, i went on a putting journey and I've improved it greatly. Basically I figured out how to get my trail hand (right hand) out of my putting stroke and as result I can start a putt online. That opened up an entire world of learning for me as now I learn to read greens and speed. Sounds like your putting is your strenght- keep it that way.

3- The issue with my golf swing was and still is my grip. Most everyone I play with who is high handicap has the issue. What happens is at the top of the backswing, most people allow the grip of the left hand to weaken and the right hand(trail) to become both the control and power. This means 1 of 4 things. Right side hits down at ball and the fatty emerges; 4x on chips. Right side comes over the top and you pull the ball. Right side is a little late and you push it right. or my favorite, I get lucky and pick it clean with a relatively square face. This last one is the real killer to me because it suggests I'm almost there and I just need to practice a bit more or get fitted. Fools gold.

For all the lessons I've had, I don't recall anyone telling me expressly about the damage the trail hand can do to a swing. Tommy Armour wrote a book in the 50's that is easily available for $5 on ebay most weeks. he spends about 30 pages of very simple cause and effect that has helped me greatly as it relates to grip, grip pressure and pressure all through the swing. I still fight my deamonds; especially when I start to feel "loose". Why one of the top notch pro's never told me this I don't get for the life of me. seems very simple.

Yes I do have the cobra speedone ol's on a 14 day trial. I just started messing around with them. No clue where I'll end up here. The speedzone are less forgiving then my gigagolf p30 knockoffs though. The face is smaller, sole about the same.

The speedzone are less forgiving then my gigagolf p30 knockoffs though. The face is smaller, sole about the same.
The Speedzones are not necessarily less forgiving just because the clubhead is smaller. There's a bunch of new tech that goes into newer clubs. (AI face tech, titanium, microspheres, perimeter weighting, shaft technology, etc.) If you haven't yet read any of the threads on the latest new irons offerings, you might be well-served by doing so.

The thing about OL clubs and mid- to high-handicappers is the one length means one one less variable in your swing, because the ball is the same distance in front of you for every iron. A second variable is eliminated because you don't change front-to-back ball position for the different irons.

I'm currently considering the new Callaway Apex 21s, Srixon ZX', and Cobra RADSPEEDs. Being the high-handicapper I am, probably Callaway Apex 21 DCBs or Srixon ZX4s would best suit me, but I'm also considering the RADSPEED OLs for that reason.

Back