JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This was a topic in one of our THP Experience threads and I thought it would do well as its own.
Let's say you are in a THP Experience Team Event (most of them) and its a shamble or Alt Shot format.

What are you looking for in a partner?

Someone that can have fun and not take it too serious because we're not professionals. But for the golf part, just try to keep it in play, especially in alternate shot. Don't try to do too much, try to find the fairway and center of greens.

I'm easy, I just want someone who doesn't beat themselves up over every shot and is engaged with the game. For a THP experience, it would be nice to have a partner that helps you document your experience, photos, writeups, videos, etc...

Someone that understands the reason we are there.

In other words, don't take the golf too seriously and be more about having a good time and making memories.

This was a topic in one of our THP Experience threads and I thought it would do well as its own.
Let's say you are in a THP Experience Team Event (most of them) and its a shamble or Alt Shot format.

Someone fun to play with first and foremost, that gets how special it is and is looking to have a great time without being a Richard. If its at a THP Experience, I'd want a great person to partner with to have the time of our lives!

There's nothing else that really matters. I guess if I was forced to pick someone based on golf:

Beyond that, someone that complements my game, where we can help each other with strengths/weaknesses. Playing the same ball helps, but isn't required for Alt Shot, I feel I could play someone else's ball as well

@smgoldstein was the perfect partner. Consistent, calm, encouraging, and an assassin!
Also @JasonFinleyCG carried us hard in the shamble again consistent but his 💩 talk game is unmatched and he is hilarious makes you enjoy the event. @Canadan is another I'd love to have been paired with on the not getting my teeth kicked in him side of things. Amazing golfer, consistent if he doesn't pull driver, and an amazing hype man. I still always say to myself "let's go kid" in my head when I hit a solid shot.

So in saying that. I'd look for consistency, attitude/hype, and not letting a bad shot throw them off and to remember we're there to have fun, enjoy the event, and meet awesome people.

Someone who is there to enjoy the experience, and have fun. Being competitive is obviously something I’d like to do but also not someone who is taking it so seriously that they get upset and ruin the experience when thing don’t go their way. R

Best thing a partner can do is not get down on themselves during a round. Laugh it off there's always another shot until there isn't. Keep up with pace of play and have fun.

Also if they buy a round it's even better.

Someone who tries their best on every shot, but can also laugh at the bad ones.

Only criteria for me is that my partner has fun playing golf and doesn't get all pissed off playing. That's it! @Saywhat4412 fit that perfectly.

I'll pretty much echo what everyone else is saying about just having fun, but just hope you're lucky enough to be teamed with @Duffer Waldorf. He's the perfect partner. Well other than being a Duke supporter who always brings up the Christian Laettner shot :p

#DerbyDuffers

Last edited:
1671819070686.png

I have a partner that I play with that we match up pretty well. I am straighter but shorter than him. For a shamble I usually put one in play then he can let one go. In pure alternate shot we look at the card and try to have him tee off on the longer holes. That way I get shorter shots in to the long holes and on shorter holes it doesn’t hurt him as much.

We both have pretty good short games so that isn’t that much of an issue.

Ideally though someone who drives it long and straight and is a good putter. But really who doesn’t want that in general.

I'll be fine golfing with this character.

On a serious note, I'd just want someone who is having fun and not too hard on me or themselves when things inevitably don't go as planned. Being able to stay lighthearted and open to conversation and humor is ideal. If they have the game to make up for my weaknesses and vice versa it's a bonus.

First thing I would want is someone that is there to have fun, maybe have a couple of beverages with me. BUT I am also very competitive, so I want to compete.

My perfect guy is someone that can hit the long ball. I have a decent short game but my driver is 230 max. And it seems that most courses are 6600 yards +.

I love this thread....it has me dreaming about being selected for the Grandaddy.

Fun to be around, and never says sorry.

Back