If you bought used clubs from a reputable company and the serial numbers are filed off

JimMLINY

Reaction score
Handicap
30+
what would you do?
Picked up an above average condition set of Ping Eye 2 Be Cu irons and the serial numbers are noticeably filed off.
Contacted seller letting them know I want to game the irons but am wary of their provenance because I play with federal state and local LEO type folk who work in areas where this is a sure sign of impropriety.
Seller emailed me back they were taken in on trade and are old clubs.
Replied back that I am concerned because it is not caused by wear and respectfully requested return.
Have not heard back from them.

Yeah, thats all kinds of sketchy. Hope you can get a resolution.

Agree with line of commentary …

looks dodgy , best get money back and maintain those relationships you have

Yeah, that's sketchy for sure. I would also be returning and asking for my money back. If they are truly reputable, they should be willing to work with you, one would expect.

I'd be returning those, that's sketchy. Pretty hard for the seller to claim normal wear and tear when the serial numbers have been filed off all the clubs, whether they're "old clubs" or not.

A 30 year old set of irons with filed down serial numbers?? Play them like you stole them!! LOL

Most people can't even see the serial numbers on irons, at least on my Callaway's they are super small and super hard to see.

Play the irons and enjoy the game

The next time I look at the serial numbers on someone's clubs will be the first time.

30 year old set of irons, two likely options are they were stolen and filed off by someone not exactly known for their scholarly achievements, or the set was pieced together of multiple sets and they hated not seeing matching numbers so filed.

Someone finally found my clubs!

(just kidding)

This is the sellers issue. Unless stated in the sale that they were sold in this condition. I would be requesting a full refund (including shipping the clubs back) or a replacement set with a return label for this set.

They can either go back to the person that traded them in or deal with the fact that they didn't do their job on the trade in.

I'd keep them. It's kind of cool. Maybe I'll file mine 😁

Sounds a little shady for sure, I would be asking for return and refund. Hope you get it resolved.

Hard no from me. Clearly removed with intent to remove is not gonna fly for me.

Benjamin Franklin
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

― Benjamin Franklin

They gotta go back.

I’ve never heard of clubs having serial numbers on them. PING definitely marches to the beat of their own drummer.

The question is why someone would go to all the trouble of filing them off. If there's an honest, ethical reason I can't think of it. Another question is why the seller didn't disclose the fact. Surely they examined the clubs when they acquired them, and you're not going to miss filed off serial numbers no matter how blind you are.

Get your money back and move on. They are 100% stolen at some point in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a possibility but removing the serial numbers is a common move by grey market sellers so the manufacturer can’t determine their origin. It does not prove they are stolen and if you play with people who check the serial numbers on your clubs you need new friends…

I'd have a bad feeling if I played them. They'd be going back.

When you say Ping Eye 2 be cu, you are talking the beryllium copper version right? I still have a set of orange dot ones that are in great shape. Those things are classics from the 1980’s and still very playable clubs. Mine still get played a few times a year by my brother in law when visiting.

I do recall them being highly desired clubs, by both honest owners and thieves alike. When my teaching pro grandfather gave me those clubs nearly forty years ago he told me to keep them within site or they would be gone.

I don’t think owning a forty year old set of clubs without serial numbers at this point is all that big of deal, when you bought them legally, seemingly from a reputable golf shop as you said they were trade ins.

Back