I remember the days when I’d be excited to hear what the latest iPhone would be like and I’d be down at the Apple store trying to get my new phone on release day. I currently have the XS Max and see no reason to upgrade. This will be the longest I’ve ever kept an iPhone. My work phone runs on 5g and to be honest, I see little difference. If the rumors are correct too, going back to the iPhone 4 style square edges does not excite me at all.

I have an 8 and have been putting of upgrading for this launch. It might be an iPad upgrade year too. :cool:

I upgrade every year. I see no reason this year changes that trend. Though I am becoming increasingly underwhelmed each year.

5G is available on this one and not on all previous models. I would say that is a pretty big change. Also the rumored addition of LIDar scanning to the camera could mean an app would turn your phone into a decent launch monitor.

So, 5G is probably the biggest change to the new model, along with the scanning? I'm not really a tech guy. I mean I like it and it helps me out. We're looking more at the cameras and the video editing side of it. So, any and all help is VERY welcome!

I have one thing to say about these events.
1602605975388.gif

I'll be interested to see what new tech is in the 12, but not sure I'll upgrade. I'm still using an iPhone XS and happy with it. We probably won't have operational/reliable 5G around here for another year or two, so if 5G is the main pull it won't entice me at all. The biggest thing I'm a sucker for is significant camera upgrades, so it'll be fun to see what they've done there.

I'm torn since "real 5G" isn't really widespread yet and my 11 Pro Max is still a beast...especially with IOS 14. I might sit this one out until next year.

I've got an 11 pro max and it's got 5G. Unless that 5G I'm seeing is a lie

I've got an 11 pro max and it's got 5G. Unless that 5G I'm seeing is a lie
It is. No previous iPhones before the 12 had 5G modems, so they weren't even capable of using 5G. It would be like trying to tune your AM radio to an FM station. That was AT&T pulling a fast one on its customers.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my 11 Pro, especially the camera, but I'll be interested to play around with the camera on the 12 Pro that we will order for my wife. Apple is claiming much better low light performance and image stabilization on the new 12 Pro. ProRaw sounds interesting.

Have you guys read up at all about the need for military supply chain trustees in the new 5G realm?
We are watching 5G be rolled out mostly for military reasons. Total, faster coverage of the world.
It's in the House Armed Services Committee and has passed the House already.

It is. No previous iPhones before the 12 had 5G modems, so they weren't even capable of using 5G. It would be like trying to tune your AM radio to an FM station. That was AT&T pulling a fast one on its customers.
That would explain why I don’t see much of a difference between 4 and 5g on my work phone then LOL.

That would explain why I don’t see much of a difference between 4 and 5g on my work phone then LOL.

The real 5G will give us 1Gbps or faster speed but I don't think we'll see it very widely available until sometime in 2022. The latest estimate I've seen is one-third of the smartphone base will be 5G enabled by 2022.

I'm torn since "real 5G" isn't really widespread yet and my 11 Pro Max is still a beast...especially with IOS 14. I might sit this one out until next year.
I am on the Apple upgrade program and have the 11 promax also. I don’t think I am going to upgrade this year. My phone works great and there just is not enough features That are a major improvement over the 11 max. 5G around me is nonexistent. I’m not talking about this fake 5G but the real thing.

The real 5G will give us 1Gbps or faster speed but I don't think we'll see it very widely available until sometime in 2022. The latest estimate I've seen is one-third of the smartphone base will be 5G enabled by 2022.
From what I understand, it will also depend on which type of 5G you're using. The low and mid-band will provide speeds better than 4G, but not as impressive as all the hype promises. The high (mmWave) band will provide impressive speed, but the coverage is very limited. Realistically it doesn't look like we're going to get the 1Gbps or better speeds unless we're in dense urban areas close to a tower supporting mmWave.

There's a good article with lots of details here: https://venturebeat.com/2019/12/10/the-definitive-guide-to-5g-low-mid-and-high-band-speeds/

Also, remember that 5G created corona.

i have 7 plus, i want to upgrade but the issue is the new 12 will have 5g, 5g isnt everywhere on the map, by the time we have 5g in a year whats the point of paying the big price tag now for the capability you cant use????????

*adjusts tinfoil hat* Yep, yep.
there is a large group of people in our neighborhood that are fighting 5G tooth and nail. They are convinced that 5G will lead to the destruction of the world and the spread of cancer through all our children.

i have 7 plus, i want to upgrade but the issue is the new 12 will have 5g, 5g isnt everywhere on the map, by the time we have 5g in a year whats the point of paying the big price tag now for the capability you cant use????????
It would only be worth it if there are other features in the new phone that make it worth the upgrade to you. 5G is basically useless to about 99% of us right now.

I assume you are on AT&T, in which case it’s a lie, yeah
Yep, I've got AT&T. That sucks that AT&T is lying about their network. :mad:

Back