Is Rickie Fowler Still The Face Of Cobra/Puma?

Thrillbilly Jim

No Diddy! No Doubt!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
Now that Bryson DeChambeau has captured the 2020 U.S. Open and his first major championship, does he become the poster boy for Cobra/Puma? With Rickie Fowler’s struggles to close out on Sunday, especially in majors, has he been usurped? And, since Gary Woodland won a major before Rickie, has Fowler actually slid all the way to 3rd when talking about Puma contract guys?

Not in my opinion. I think Bryson has been at the forefront of the equipment for about a year now, but apparel? Up until his recent gains, he wasn’t shown as much as Fowler and still might not be overall. Woodland? No chance, although one of the nicest guys and someone that they just resigned (puma Golf).

Not even close. No.

They might prefer he was though.

Not only no but hell no I hope not. If Bryson quits whining and that hideous putting stroke.

Not in my opinion. I think Bryson has been at the forefront of the equipment for about a year now, but apparel? Up until his recent gains, he wasn’t shown as much as Fowler and still might not be overall. Woodland? No chance, although one of the nicest guys and someone that they just resigned (puma Golf).

I answered this incorrectly. I was answering it based on the body not the title.

I absolutely think Fowler is still the face of PUMA Golf and probably still the face of the brand overall. I think Bryson moves more equipment, but face of the brand? Rickie and its not close.

Rickie is Puma Golf. He moves apparel and probably is larger money maker for CPG than any other player on staff.

Bryson moves more equipment. Cobra has said there is a noticable increase in one length iron orders anytime Bryson wins.

Gary Woodland is one of many Puma sponsorships out there. He is is bit different than other names they have that they release his scripting. Jim Furyk wears puma shoes, Ernie Els I think is apparel and shoes. There are a surprising number of guys wearing shoes and more than expected with apparel as well.

More people like Rickie and can relate to him... So he is the face of the brand. I think they have an equipment mover on their hands due to bombs and one length in Bryson.

i skimmed....

Fowler is definitely 2nd and has been for sometime. Woodland, although a nice guy doesnt move the needle much. Rickie still does. His play doesnt, but he does. Hes basically Cobras curent version of Phi Mickelson @ callaway.

Last edited:
Ricky but he's not 25 anymore. Need to dial down the loudness.

I think Rickie is more likable/personable, and has the look to sell lots of apparel. I’m sure he pushes tons of clothing.

Ricky but he's not 25 anymore. Need to dial down the loudness.
DC-colonial-2020-photo-essay-friday-phil-mickelson-sunglasses.jpg

I see people mention Bryson moves more clubs. Is there any indication that the One Length phenomenon is taking off? I tried it for a period of time and didn't like it. I have a friend who is essentially a beginner who ended up buying a used One Length F7 set recently. Outside of that, I haven't seen anyone else jump on the OL train other than a few people on this site.

Is Bryson the only guy on tour using the SZ driver? I thought Rickie had gone back to the F9.

Thousands and thousands of One Length sets are sold each year. Without Bryson not a single one sells or is even made.

King F9 and now SPEEDZONE doubled Cobras driver sales at golf stores.

I would say he is in the conversation for player that moves the most equipment

Thousands and thousands of One Length sets are sold each year. Without Bryson not a single one sells or is even made.
Well it's obvious they don't sell without him. I just personally don't see significant numbers of casual golfers out and about on the course or driving range in my area using them. Just curious if it was different elsewhere and how much they really sell. I'm sure it is a decent portion of Cobra's products but in the grand scheme of golf's purchases, what sort of market share does OL own since they are the only provider of OL irons on the large scale market.

Well it's obvious they don't sell without him. I just personally don't see significant numbers of casual golfers out and about on the course or driving range in my area using them. Just curious if it was different elsewhere and how much they really sell. I'm sure it is a decent portion of Cobra's products but in the grand scheme of golf's purchases, what sort of market share does OL own since they are the only provider of OL irons on the large scale market.

As a Ping user, this is probably the perfect example. For July at stores.
Cobra OL: 1.7%
Ping G710: 1.6%

I don’t know how you can have the guy who’s the face of your brand be playing pretty much old stuff through the bag. I think Bryson tells a better story from the equipment side. He’s pushing the design, etc.

Puma, absolutely - but Cobra I think is starting to be a harder sell at this point.

it’s still rickie. but if he keeps faltering and bryson maintains his play, that might change. imho brysons personality can’t carry cpg’s current narrative. so they may need to rebrand a bit, which i could see being a mistake.

Whose Rickie?!?!?

I agree with the fact that Rickie moves apparel, Bryson moves clubs. Based on the last couple of years, I'd say that's probably how it should be. Rickie is definitely likable, but from a "face of brand" vs. Results he punches well above his weight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would say Bryson sells more clubs but Rickie sells more apparel. I don't think Bryson becomes "the face" of CPG at any point though because he just is not as likeable to most people.

HECK YES, RICKIE IS THE MAN

Still rickie. Bryson is currently bringing more attention but from a brand ambassador perspective, Rickie still is the favorite. He's more relatable for most customer demographic than Bryson.

Rickie is definitely the face of Puma. He probably has the most recognizable style on tour.

He may not be performing anywhere near the level Bryson is right now but I still think of Rickie when I think of Cobra golf. Bryson's not the most likeable guy which doesn't help him. I would imagine there are lot's of people out there who want to play the same brand as their favorite player and Rickie is definitely a popular player.

I think Bryson is definitely great for Cobra's one length clubs. He is the first guy I think of when you say one length irons and he has definitely helped give them some credibility.

Back