Is the golf course liable?

bonknhead

Reaction score
Handicap
This poor kid attends the same HS my son does. It seems odd to me that the golf course would put up an awning at the driving range, but I would think that the kid is still responsible for making sure that his swing path as well as the ball's path are clear.

Teen hit with own golf ball sues for millions

It seems that the awning was erected in a potentially dangerous manner - however, I believe there are clauses that by paying for use of the golf course's facilities, you are accepting all the risks associated with its usage.
I'd like to see a picture of the awning with its support "inches from his mat"

[edit]: I agree wtih the below post.

I guess my only reaction is... seriously?

inches from his mat? i'd like to think it was not directly in front of his tee ball. maybe shanked it?

The kids a moron if it were directly infront of him. I dont know a single person who would be that foolish.

From the iPhone.

it seems worse I think due to the outrageous amount he is suing for

inches from his mat? i'd like to think it was not directly in front of his tee ball. maybe shanked it?

I too have a problem with "inches from his mat" it could have been 120" which is quit a ways or 6" which is dangerously close. Also nothing is mentioned about the angle the post is from the mat. 90* is more than enough, 5* is again hazardous. Not enough detail for me.

I was just at this course on Saturday and know which awning they are talking about. If the awning was in the same place as it was on Sat (probably has been moved though), but if it was in that place it would take a pretty good shank off the toe with a wide open club face.

Without further details it's hard to really comment on this whole situation. Looking back at how many stupid things friends and I had done in our teen years it could be his own stupidity that brought this outcome. Then on the other hand seeing just how outrageously idiotic some adults can be when doing everyday activities I can see where this kid just got put into a very dangerous situation. Will be interesting to see the decision made in the courtroom (or in some lawyers office) as to who was the real dummy.

“As a person goes up to address the ball with their golf club and strike the ball, what are the known dangers around them? If they see a known and obvious danger and yet they go ahead and strike the ball anyway, then they’ve assumed the risk – what a lawyer would call an assumption of risk,” Duckler said. “Even if it’s a 15-year-old, we hold 15-year-olds to certain levels of responsibility.”

Enough said I think.

im thinking he must not have been the best player on his golf team

"Is the golf course liable?" for what trying to erect a shelter for the golf team? or for the miss hits of its patrons? or for the the lack of common sense of its patrons? This is a bad accident, don't get me wrong. But the kid shanks a shot, hurts himself and now his parents want a trust fund for him. He made HIS setup, took HIS swing and... I hope this doesn't turn in to another case of "no good deed goes unpunished". Otherwise kids are going to have a hard time finding courses that will let them on.

Back